GoDuBois.com

Items You Can Compost

mr.d

You can compost almost anything that will rot but some of it is ill advised. Jams and jellies are going to attract bears, which will tear you compost heap to bits including whatever container you have it in. Ditto dog food and fish food and if they contain fats they will make your compost heap smell bad. You should never compost meat products. A lot of that stuff is going to attract rats and mice. Some of it will bring in flies, which aren't all bad from the composter's view but who wants to live with them.

Compost heaps need a balanced selection of "green" and "brown" materials or you will not get proper composting and there will be an odor. All of those paper products would be considered brown and there would have to be some grass clippings or something to get them composting.

Interesting list that reminds us that everything (almost) can be recycled but I think it wasn't made by a farmer, who probably wouldn't even consider tossing his used condoms on the compost heap. Ick!

Everything from nature goes back to soil eventually but some of the bacteria may not be so friendly in the long run.  The dead flies and condoms will never hit my compost!  Anything that comes from an animal should go to the dump.  Add it at your own risk.

You let bacteria and fungi work on organic materials and turn them into soil. You can go complex or simple, with a bin or just pile up all organic wastes staying away from animal products. You need to keep a proper green/brown or carbon/nitrogen ratio so the bacteria will work but it isn't all that hard. Just piling up all of your dead leaves and grass clippings and adding your kitchen scraps works fine. Keep it damp but not wet and turn it once in a while to get some air into the mix. Stay small or it is difficult to turn. Things will get hot after a while, the materials will break down, the worms will move in and you will have a nice mix to add to your garden. Here are a couple of web sites that give the details. My compost heap is available for viewing at any time :)

http://www.howtocompost.org/

http://www.composting101.com/how-it-works.html

Everything from nature goes back to soil eventually but some of the bacteria may not be so friendly in the long run.  The dead flies and condoms will never hit my compost!  Anything that comes from an animal should go to the dump.  Add it at your own risk.

I'll just bet there are already dead flies, as well as various other insects, in people's compost. ;)