GoDuBois.com

Dreaming about Spring....

PSTeach

The seed catalogs have starting coming, which brings with it garden planning. We are hoping to expand our garden this year. My son is hoping for a greenhouse this summer, so we can start things earlier.  Can't wait for the smell of the dirt in the spring!!

Bon, that first pic is a gorgeous combination. Is that a purple leafed lysmachia with the yellow flower? If it is it has the biggest flower I've ever seen on one. I can't resist colored leafed plants. Found a green and yellow varigated artemesia a couple of years ago. It grows happily in packed down shale.

Guest JenMc32

Ohhh I can't wait for Spring too!  We're not huge gardeners...but have landscaping, blueberry bushes & some apple & cherry trees.

We planted 19 Rose of Sharon bushes last summer.....hopeful to see a little more than just a stick this year but have read that they take up to two years to really get started.

I'm ready for spring too, but for now I am atchingmy orchid bud, I've had it for a few years with no results, repotted it a couple of months ago and it took off!  Now spiked and budding!  that will hold me over till spring.

For some reason the orchids are blooming like crazy this year. I don't know how many I have in bud. Can't wait for them to bloom.

Happy to get my tree/shrub seedling order placed with the Pa Game Commission Howard Nursery last week.  Trying to improve some scrubby acreage on Rockton Mtn.  Lots of work with digging in rocky ground and tree tubes, etc., but still can't wait...better than shoveling snow.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sooo dreaming of spring, I know once the SuperBowl is over, I'm done. I hate the month of February, it's the shortest month for a reason, it lasts forever!!!  :(

I've been getting the seed catalogs too, I just sit and drool and think of how I can talk hubby into another flower bed this year....wish me luck!

I am sooo dreaming of spring, I know once the SuperBowl is over, I'm done. I hate the month of February, it's the shortest month for a reason, it lasts forever!!!  :(

I've been getting the seed catalogs too, I just sit and drool and think of how I can talk hubby into another flower bed this year....wish me luck!

you are sooo right about February!!!

can't help you with the flower garden, unless you want more cactus or sedum ...lol.

I just sent my order in to the Clearfield County Conservation District. Order forms must be in by Feb. 18th. We were extremely pleased with the trees that we got last year, except for the sour cherry tree that had a bad graft and died a month later.  :(  Their trees are tall and very healthy. (The seedlings are much smaller and less expensive)  Anyone interested in bareroot seedlings and Fruit trees should look into their sale.

I just sent my order in to the Clearfield County Conservation District. Order forms must be in by Feb. 18th. We were extremely pleased with the trees that we got last year, except for the sour cherry tree that had a bad graft and died a month later.  :(  Their trees are tall and very healthy. (The seedlings are much smaller and less expensive)  Anyone interested in bareroot seedlings and Fruit trees should look into their sale.

We bought blueberry bushes from them two years ago, our problem is the deer and birds. I'm thinking of trying putting some kind of netting over them this year.

you are sooo right about February!!!

can't help you with the flower garden, unless you want more cactus or sedum ...lol.

I would love to have more of your cactus. I couldn't believe that the deer ripped it out of the ground? Wouldn't you think that it would be painful for them? I kept replanting it every time they ripped it out, but unfortunately it never took. But I do have a spot near the house that they may leave alone. I planted the first batch up by the barn on a bank and sprayed it with the stinky stuff, but it was a no go.

Now sedum, I probably could give some away this year too, lol!

I just can't wait to see all of the plants in bloom, I know it's terrible to wish your life away, but I want spring NOW!!!

I am considering getting some house plants to cheer me up!

I can't wait for spring either. Kiddo running around, hubby digging in the garden, baby A hanging out in the shade while Mama digs in the flower bed.. and the sound of birds chirping and the neighbors cutting their grass.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's how I do it for starting plants indoors. Remember that we don't get a lot of sunshine at that time of year so maybe you want to start them a bit earlier than the charts suggest.

Leeks......last week of Feb.

Very early March.....peppers and eggplant. They take some time to germinate and develop even though they go out at the end of May.

Early March.......... cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower. These are cold hardy and go out early ( mid to late-May) so you have to start them early.

mid to late March.......tomatoes

Mid April......squash, cucumbers, pumpkins and watermelon. All except watermelon can be directly seeded into the garden when the soil is warm. Last week of May or early June depending on the weather.

Putting them into the ground. (Remember to harden off transplants by keeping them outdoors on a porch or in the shade for a week or so prior to planting them)

Plant onions, beets, carrots, lettuce, peas and spinach directly in ground as soon as the ground can be worked. This can be anywhere from mid -April to mid-May. Plant your cabbage, etc out a week or two, depending on the weather, prior to May 30. End of May tomatoes, followed by eggplant and peppers. You can direct seed beans and corn the last week of May as well.

All dates for putting stuff out depends on the weather. Some years we can get things planted very early and some years it takes longer for the soil to warm up.

I've been using this schedule for years and have found it works well for where I live. If you are close to town you may be able to get things started a week or two earlier because you can get them out sooner. The problem with planting charts is they are not area specific. If you have questions the best thing to do is find a neighbor who has been gardening for years and ask him. There are no hard and fast rules. You get a feel for it after awhile.