GoDuBois.com

tomato blight

Has anyone heard what the status of the blight is this year? I spray my plants with a fungicide and I clipped all the lower leaves off today and retied my plants up so that air can circulate around them. I hope this helps as I lost every plant last year and really need to restock my shelves.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im thinking its not so good again. My plants have black areas on the leaves. I picked a very nice looking red one a few days ago but it was all rotten inside. I also didnt get any Zuchinni, lots of flowers but then they just died off.

So far so good for my garden.  Last year I lost all my tomato plants and in reading up on the blight, it was suggested that if you were not careful in pulling out all damaged plants, that the blight would carry over to this year.  I pulled my plant in mid August last year and covered the vacant part of the garden with black plastic to kill everything remaining and it seems to have done the job.  I also heard you can also kill the blighted parts with formaldehyde, however I did not try it.

Some damn groundhog got all my brussel sprout plants trimmed to nothing, although he hasn't returned since his last feast on which I sprinkled a liberal amount of Sevin powder(probably still has a belly ache if he is still pushing air!).

So I am assuming that from your reply junk the blight is in this area, correct. I pulled all of my plants in early August last year also but I also

pulled the plastic then too. I am hoping that the spray I got at a local feed store will help block the blight from my garden this year. I dont

have any red tomatoes yet but lots of zucchini if you want some pm me Big TO. My peppers are also loaded but my cauliflower and brocolli

dont even have a hint of anything on them yet. The plants are huge.

Didn't have the heart to plant any this year because of last year's disappointment.  I hope that by next year it will be alright to plant them again and have no problem.  Does anyone know whether the land would be ok 2 years later? Thanks.

Didn't have the heart to plant any this year because of last year's disappointment.  I hope that by next year it will be alright to plant them again and have no problem.  Does anyone know whether the land would be ok 2 years later? Thanks.

Late blight won't overwinter in the ground. It will overwinter only in organic material. The most likely way for it to overwinter is in potatoes. If you properly disposed of your diseased plants and tomatoes it should be safe to plant again the next year.

Im thinking its not so good again. My plants have black areas on the leaves. I picked a very nice looking red one a few days ago but it was all rotten inside. I also didnt get any Zuchinni, lots of flowers but then they just died off.

The first flowers on squash plants are male and won't produce fruit. Wait awhile before you write them off. The next batch of flowers should produce fruit.

So I am assuming that from your reply junk the blight is in this area, correct. I pulled all of my plants in early August last year also but I also

pulled the plastic then too. I am hoping that the spray I got at a local feed store will help block the blight from my garden this year. I dont

have any red tomatoes yet but lots of zucchini if you want some pm me Big TO. My peppers are also loaded but my cauliflower and brocolli

dont even have a hint of anything on them yet. The plants are huge.

That I am sure of,just had an old friend look at mine and he confirmed it.

Late blight won't overwinter in the ground. It will overwinter only in organic material. The most likely way for it to overwinter is in potatoes. If you properly disposed of your diseased plants and tomatoes it should be safe to plant again the next year.

I planted my Tomatos in an area that was not planted in the past hoping to prevent any carryover of Blight,Also bought from a local grower and not chain store plants. From what I now understand is that the Blight can be transfered from garden to garden by birds, rabbits, or even walking into someone elses garden that is infected.

The blight in our area was caused by plants purchased at a large, local home center.  The plants came from a Maryland grower and were first thought to have only been distributed in the New England States and part of upstate NY.

I've been harvesting cherry tomatoes for several weeks, and my "big boys" are green and growing.  I've done a lot of pruning on growths near the base and end of stalks to keep both species somewhat more contained than I usually have them (read:  I'm usually a lazy gardener!).  

If in the next several weeks I lose any plants to the blight, next year I will simply plant an entire garden in flowers (and maybe for the next several years).

Umm ... it CAN overwinter in wooden stakes, which are, by definition, organic. I slathered mine in bleach and water last year when I pulled them, and let them dry for awhile.

Umm ... it CAN overwinter in wooden stakes, which are, by definition, organic. I slathered mine in bleach and water last year when I pulled them, and let them dry for awhile.

I haven't heard this. There is, however, a strain the can overwinter in the soil that is moving up from Mexico. It evidently reproduces sexually rather than asexually and produces a hard shelled spore that is freeze proof. Haven't heard that it has reached our area yet.

I planted my Tomatos in an area that was not planted in the past hoping to prevent any carryover of Blight,Also bought from a local grower and not chain store plants. From what I now understand is that the Blight can be transfered from garden to garden by birds, rabbits, or even walking into someone elses garden that is infected.

The spores go airborne and that is the worst carrier. I'm sure it can be carried by animals and people, as well.

I was told that the blight is most often spread by wind/air.

The best thing anyone can do, should the blight hit their plants, is to bag the plant and dirt and let the trash man take it away.