GoDuBois.com

Black-Eyed Susans

Deer will eat anything if they get as starved as they are at TL.  There is very little natural browse because of the high and dense tree canopy.  That's why you see them along side of or in clearings.

You can try both spreading some seeds this fall and saving some for outdoor spring seeding plus indoor sprouting.  That way you are sure to get plants.  Send me some seeds and I will try starting some for you too.

There are a few different variations of plants that people call Black Eyed Susans, so if you see some that you particularly love, then pick some of the very dry seed heads.  You can multiply your garden plants very quickly and efficiently that way.Make sure they are very dry and fold just the seeds into a waxed paper envelope.  Mark the year and name of the plant, and where it came from.  Put the envelope in a small jar in the bottom back of the fridge and wait for February or March to start them.

There are a few different variations of plants that people call Black Eyed Susans, so if you see some that you particularly love, then pick some of the very dry seed heads.  You can multiply your garden plants very quickly and efficiently that way.Make sure they are very dry and fold just the seeds into a waxed paper envelope.  Mark the year and name of the plant, and where it came from.  Put the envelope in a small jar in the bottom back of the fridge and wait for February or March to start them.

I love Black Eyed Susans and my two are beautiful this year.

I also love Gloriosa's as I've mentioned before. A friend planted another variety of golden daisy this year that is so pretty. She doesn't know the variety, though.  I'd like to try and get some of these seed heads. I'm still a relative newbie at this....I assume you mean brown part?  Sorry if a dumb question, but I've never done this before. I'm thinking, take the brown part after it's very dry? TIA.

The deer eat mine every year.  

Our neighbor across the street (on McCracken Run Road AKA "snake alley") have beautiful ones around their light pole.  Last week I saw a car stopped in front kinda with headlights in yard.  I went out on the porch and there were two deer (8 pt & 6 pt) just eating away I could actually hear them tearing them out.  You should have seen the black-eyed susan's the next day!

Yes we also have deer in Snake Alley...they evidently are not from TL because they have way too much meat on them.  Hubby and I have watched them for the last 4-6 weeks, they will often bed down in the woods beside or behind our house.  We have watched the racks grow, it's amazing seeing them walk through the thick woods and not get tangled in the trees.

I love Black Eyed Susans and my two are beautiful this year.

I also love Gloriosa's as I've mentioned before. A friend planted another variety of golden daisy this year that is so pretty. She doesn't know the variety, though.  I'd like to try and get some of these seed heads. I'm still a relative newbie at this....I assume you mean brown part?  Sorry if a dumb question, but I've never done this before. I'm thinking, take the brown part after it's very dry? TIA.

I particularly love starting plants, and some of the fun is seeing what the babies grow up to look like.  Yes, once the petals have fallen  off all that's usually left is the center seed part.  Once it is dry and some of them have shattered or startto fall to the ground, that's the best time to collect seed.  Make sure it's dry and put it in a waxed paper envelope.  Mark the name, year and where you go them from.  Place in a small jar in the bottom back of your fridge, and wait for spring.  If you need  help sprouting them, just ask.  There are various ways of doing it.

Does anyone have the black eyed susan vines? I just discoverered them last summer and love them. I haven't seen many around here but did notice them in New England last week. Mine are yellow but they come in a yellow orange too.

I have never been dissapointed by www.bluestoneperennials.com. They have wonderful plants and if you go to the website and click on "specials" they have an everchanging list of plants and bulbs for half-price. Also, with every order they send a nice coupon booklet with really good discounts on your next order. If you go to the website and order a catalogue to be sent to you they always have a discount coupon or two right in the catalogue. If you go to the site sometimes it really pays to get a small order at first. Maybe one or two of the plants on sale and then order a bigger order after you get the catalogue or discount coupons. I highly recommend it and you can find a lot of perennials there that are new or you can't find anywhere else.

I got a black eyed susan plant that comes back every year at the Valley Rainbow. It has many flowers on it, more of a bush type plant, self seeds. This year it was too wet and they didn't get any flowers. I will have to check up back in the weeds. The birds always deposit some seeds back there and we always find them growing in weird places. ;) If I do find any I will send you some seeds.

I got a black eyed susan plant that comes back every year at the Valley Rainbow. It has many flowers on it, more of a bush type plant, self seeds. This year it was too wet and they didn't get any flowers. I will have to check up back in the weeds. The birds always deposit some seeds back there and we always find them growing in weird places. ;) If I do find any I will send you some seeds.

Can you send a link to the actual plant that you have?

Looking at pics on the web, I think it is a 3-lobed rudbeckia.   Hubby just told me he cut down all the plants up back, sorry.

Oh my gosh, that's the one that I've been trying to thing of, thanks Bon!

I'm gonna get me some of those, just beautiful!

Question, are they perennial, a friend told me that they're annuals.