GoDuBois.com

Pine Needle Mulch

Petee

Guest madre

While we're on the subject of pines....does anyone have any use for pinecones?  Looks like the weather will be warming up this week and I'll finally be able to rake up the thousands that I have laying around here.  They don't go through the mulching mower real well without turning into deadly projectiles!  

Oh, thanks for the info Petee...I'm going to try and rake up what I can and throw it in the flower beds this year as I can't really afford to buy more mulch this time around.

While we're on the subject of pines....does anyone have any use for pinecones?  Looks like the weather will be warming up this week and I'll finally be able to rake up the thousands that I have laying around here.  They don't go through the mulching mower real well without turning into deadly projectiles!  

Oh, thanks for the info Petee...I'm going to try and rake up what I can and throw it in the flower beds this year as I can't really afford to buy more mulch this time around.

Turn them into cache containers and sell them.  ;)

Madre, they're very acidic so be sure the planting bed you are putting them in needs that much acid.  A soil test is the only way to make sure the investment you make in time and materials isn't wasted.

Guest snellma

That is why the azaleas thrive so well here in SC because there is so much pine straw (as we call it).  They actually bail it here and sell it.  It looks nice about the first week you put it down and then it looks horrible.  I hate the stuff.  You can have all my pine needles.

• 2 months later...

I laughed when I was at my son's house in NClast summer.  The whole area is pines, so a lot of pine mulch laying around.  One neighbor would rake and bag his up for garbage, the other neighbor would buy bags and dump it in his own yard.  Why these guys didn't work together and help each other out, even my son didn't know!  lol

I do have to say, we got the most awesome HUGE pinecones while we were there.  Now, what to do with them??  (I think spray paint, some glitter and a few ribbons for Christmas decorations)