GoDuBois.com

liliacs & rose of sharon

Bon

Bought a Rose of Sharon tree around 10 years ago, mine must of been watered with No Grow. It has not growed since planted it. Thought it was dead this year but finally sprouted some small leafs. A friend bought one at the same time and he said his grew like a bad weed.

Can tell you they are slow growing but they love sunshine. My in-laws have them sprouting up all over their yard (and have for yrs). When we built our new house (9 yrs ago) we have transplanted from their yard, probably 10 along our property line and the ones that get full sun have grown more than the others. They have a lot of meaning since they were one of my mother-in-laws favorite and to know we have them from their yard means a lot.

Yes, we understood what you meant and that is no way to water a poor tree. Keeps the critters away though.

I bought a half dozen or so rose of Sharon from some catalog many years ago. I have one left. It is growing behind a wild forsythia and competing with a wisteria vine. It doesn't get much sun but still blooms. The others were planted in an area that was damper and all died. I think they need fairly good drainage to survive. I also have a double flowered one that grows in full afternoon sun in clay soil. I don't think they are particularly fussy but they don't seem to like wet feet. Both of mine are sterile and I've had not one baby plant from them.