GoDuBois.com

Garden Pics etc.

Pappy

Transplant rhubarb in the spring just when it's coming up out of the ground.  Same for hosta.  They do great.

Hint, you can plant the seeds that come from the old rhubarb plant.  Just protect it so you know where it is and keep it weeded.

That's Dames Rocket and I love it!  It volunteers all through my gardens and then when it fades I just yank it all out.  Just give it time to drop the seed and don't pull It all out in the spring.  There are later Phlox that look the same but they bloom at different times of the year.  Grab a bouquet when they're starting to fade and they'll give you a show several times a year.

awwwwww bummmmmmer! I am soooooo craving some, I like it raw with salt, call me odd lol or in a homemade cake!

That was my first thought when I saw it...grab the salt shaker and chomp away.  Makes my mouth water thinking about it!

Or This!  - Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Makes one 9-inch pie

1 recipe unbaked homemade double pie crust

2 1/2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 large stalks)

2 1/2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup all purpose flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)

Preheat the oven to 450

I got my nieces and grankids to try Rhubarb this past weekend.....they at first looked at me like I was nuts.....'we can eat this....and swallow it'?....lol......I told them to dip it in sugar....never tried it with salt

Or This!  - Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Makes one 9-inch pie

1 recipe unbaked homemade double pie crust

2 1/2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 large stalks)

2 1/2 cups hulled and sliced fresh strawberries

1 cup sugar

1/3 cup all purpose flour or 1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces

1 large egg yolk beaten to blend with 1 teaspoon water (for glaze)

Preheat the oven to 450

I got my nieces and grankids to try Rhubarb this past weekend.....they at first looked at me like I was nuts.....'we can eat this....and swallow it'?....lol......I told them to dip it in sugar....never tried it with salt

sugar tastes good on it too, but my hubby thinks I'm odd because I like salt on a lot of different fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, cantaloupe,pineapple). I wouldn't recommend salt on things to anyone with high blood pressure or other health issues but I have extremely low (usual is 80/52) so I consume salt when I feel it drop, pushes it back up to where it should be (talked to my doc about it too before he passed, said my sodium levels are low and with my bp being low, he felt it would not hurt)

oh yeah when I introduced my kids to it, they thought I was nuts too, then one day I caught my daughter trying to eat it without peeling it (ick!) so I had to teach her how. Now when we have it, it doesn't last but a day lol

Transplant rhubarb in the spring just when it's coming up out of the ground.  Same for hosta.  They do great.

Hint, you can plant the seeds that come from the old rhubarb plant.  Just protect it so you know where it is and keep it weeded.

That's Dames Rocket and I love it!  It volunteers all through my gardens and then when it fades I just yank it all out.  Just give it time to drop the seed and don't pull It all out in the spring.  There are later Phlox that look the same but they bloom at different times of the year.  Grab a bouquet when they're starting to fade and they'll give you a show several times a year.

that's probably why it didn't take either time, 1st time was in June right before my son's birthday as the sandbox that was built was a gift and the other was late May, but again I think that didn't take because Ben dug it up and kept bringing it to me. I even put a fence around it but the bugger got to it and would bring me the root!

I remember my husband's whole family looking at me like a nut when I was picking beechnuts off the trees at camp and breaking them open to munch the seeds.(now they fight the squirrels and chipmunks to get to them first!)  All the years they owned the property, they never knew the nuts were edible! And then introducing my son to tea berries out in the woods while hiking, he flipped because he was taught not to eat red berries without knowing what they were! I instructed him on how to identify them by smell and by sight of the plants. It just dawned on me so I had to share lol

To me it looks like Dame's Rocket, part of the mustard family.

I'm sure Petee or lavendar can tell you exactly what it is.

Right you are and like most members of the mustard family it is a real pain to get rid of. It's pretty but more of a weed than anything else. I planted it and have regretted it ever since. 

i obviously bought way to many plants this year. I am like a kid in a candy store when it comes to peppers and tomatoes. I have 80 tomatoes(6 varieties) and 184 pepper plants( how many different well you name it I got it LOL).  Now where to plant them all. I got all the tomatoes in and 32 of the peppers. I didnt want to start until the fence was up. The deer have already ate the tops off the sweet potatoes and nibbled the strawberry plants down. They haven't touch the horseradish, rubbard or onions.

If just one branch is like that your rhoddy has thrown what is known as a sport. Plants do it occasionally. It is a genetic mutation. If all the flowers start out pink and then fade to white or vice versa that is probably normal for that particular variety. There are trace minerals whose presence or absence will change the color of flowers but I would think that it would change the color of all of the flowers. It isn't unusual for rhododendrons to change color slightly from year to year. Sun can bleach them or the buds can be affected by cold. 

Just off hand here are two rhododendrons whose flowers change color:

ALBUM ELEGANS

Our Holly Bushes look terrible this year, very little green (just around the bottom) and our 22 rose shrubs are even worst. The Rhodys are starting to bloom but the leaves are not as green a they have been in the past. Our rose shrubs have always been in bloom by the middle of June, because we use to laugh they were always the best when we were away at the June Pocono race. Our orange azalea was beautiful but the rain pretty much did it in today. I'm assuming the holly & roses are because of the winter we had??? In fact by husband pretty much wants to pull them all out, I'm trying to tell him to be patience.