GoDuBois.com

Steep Bank Planting Ideas?

Guest madre

Guest madre

We have a fairly steep bank in the front of the house, approx 70' wide.  I've been racking my brain and going through many many magazines trying to get ideas, but can't come up with a solution.  I don't have a lot of money to spend on it, which is the main problem.  Grass isn't possible as it is too steep to mow.  Thought about junipers or some sort of ground cover like phlox, but they can get expensive...especially since I would need a lot.

Any ideas?

In the late spring Lowe's usually has the creeping phlox on a great big sale. They order too much and you can get it for a dollar a pot.

It the bank steeper than our garden across from Harley-Davidson is? As you can see (if you are in DuBois)  most anything grows there. I highly recommend the 'Carefree' roses. 'Knockout' is just that, a knockout. Phlox mixed with roses would be sensational.

Check our (Down to Earth Garden Club) plant sale in the May. Our plants are fairly cheap and are guaranteed to grow here because that is where they come from.

Guest madre

Thanks lavender.  I did pick up a couple of those from Lowe's last year, but by the time I got to them it was too late...they died off :(  We go there on a pretty regular basis once they get their plants in, so I'll keep checking.  I'll also watch for the club's sale....I have 4 window boxes that need filled!

I've seen the bank by the Harley shop and it is wonderful!  Ours is a bit steeper.  

I'll keep an eye out too and pm you if I see anything. I picked up 8 or 10 blue rug junipers there for a friend last year. I know the bill was under $30 and they were in great shape. I love sales!

Also, if you have that much space you might consider doing it over a period of a few years. The plants will multiply and you can divide them. It's tempting to do it all at once but it is expensive and you're in real trouble if you choose something that won't grow there. Just make sure that anything you plant likes good drainage.

we planted myrtle on our 1 bank and it is doing really well. on the driveway bank we are going cactus...it stays green all year and it spreads.

Fair warning on the prickly pear cactus, that stuff is lethal. If you have any kids around don't put it anywhere where they can get near it. All you have to do is brush it and the spines go into your skin. They are very fine and difficult to remove and never come out by themselves. I had them go into my hands through a pair of rose gloves which were pretty much ruined.

I have a friend who swears that if you get down wind of them the spines blow into you through the air. I Don't know about that one.

The flowers are indeed beautiful. I have two kinds one plain yellow and one with a red center. The leaves stay green all winter but get kind of mushy. They do spread well.

PS. If you want an ascent plant for height the tall grasses are good. The only maintenance they need is to cut them back in the spring or if they are in a safe area you can burn then off. They are quite a sight burning.

Guest madre

No, not IVY!  LOL  We just pulled a bunch of it out along our driveway that had overgrown so much that it was growing into the driveway and all through the rocks on the wall, knocking the rocks loose and tipping the wall.  What a job that was!

There is some vinca down there, and I suppose after some time it will fill in nicely...just very "ugly" right now.  It gets morning sun and is shady in the afternoon.

No, not IVY!  LOL  We just pulled a bunch of it out along our driveway that had overgrown so much that it was growing into the driveway and all through the rocks on the wall, knocking the rocks loose and tipping the wall.  What a job that was!

There is some vinca down there, and I suppose after some time it will fill in nicely...just very "ugly" right now.  It gets morning sun and is shady in the afternoon.

I find that vinca fills in slowly. There is some near the driveway that doesn't seem to do much of anything and it has been there for over 10 years. A variegated variety by the walk from the back door is doing better. It is mulched all the time and probably has better soil. It's not a fool proof one.

Bugle weed would work there. It likes good drainage and will tolerate some shade. It is a very aggressive grower but it isn't going to pull your walls and house down and devour your kids and pets like ivy.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JenMc32

I'd love to plant something on our bank out front and then some type of hedge at the top to help reduce road noise - but....it's pretty big bank and will take A LOT of plants!  So it hasn't been done yet  LOL

hire some local kids to dig terraces into the bank

The Chamber could never hire anyone under 18 and even over that they required a Release from Liability form signed.  We couldn't even find workers for $10 an hour cash.

I'd love to plant something on our bank out front and then some type of hedge at the top to help reduce road noise - but....it's pretty big bank and will take A LOT of plants!  So it hasn't been done yet  LOL

You may want to find some cover crops that you can actually seed on the bank.  If you look around you may be surprised what you find.  Check the local plant stores like Alvetros, Hanzeleys and Agway for ideas and to see what perennial seed they may have available.

You can also do some patterns with the seeds and intersperse with some structural plants like perennial grasses and evergreens, or stones, and landscape structure such as driftwood.

Guest JenMc32

You may want to find some cover crops that you can actually seed on the bank.  If you look around you may be surprised what you find.  Check the local plant stores like Alvetros, Hanzeleys and Agway for ideas and to see what perennial seed they may have available.

You can also do some patterns with the seeds and intersperse with some structural plants like perennial grasses and evergreens, or stones, and landscape structure such as driftwood.

TY for the ideas!  Unfortunately the bank is too steep even for driftwood, not sure if even rocks would stay.  It's pretty much straight up & down.....about 8ft high and 80ft wide or so.

Guest madre

Sounds like mine, Jen.  Too steep for most things, but grass and weeds still grown on it and need to be "weed wacked" all the time because mowing would be impossible!  I'm thinking of trying to find some larger rocks and "burying" them in a bit...see if that works.  Mulch will be difficult, but we have a couple of large pines right there and the needles work well (I just have to rake them up and move them).  Since we have an abundance of pine cones this year, I'm wondering if there is a way to crush them down and use them for mulch...anyone know?

Guest JenMc32

Yup!  Ours too!  We don't have any trees on ours either....nothing to help hold up anything but weeds!  lol

Ladies, you could try some sedums. I have them growing out of walls. All they need is a little pocket of dirt. Even if they wash away they will root where they fetch up. There is this yellow flowered on that is the next best thing to a weed. It grows just about anywhere. I planted it to smother out grass as a ground cover and I can't get rid of it.

You can chip pine cones if you have a chipper or try the old method that is sometimes used to remove the hulls from black walnuts. Put then in the driveway and after a week or so of driving over them sweep them up.

Guest madre

Ladies, you could try some sedums. I have them growing out of walls. All they need is a little pocket of dirt. Even if they wash away they will root where they fetch up. There is this yellow flowered on that is the next best thing to a weed. It grows just about anywhere. I planted it to smother out grass as a ground cover and I can't get rid of it.

You can chip pine cones if you have a chipper or try the old method that is sometimes used to remove the hulls from black walnuts. Put then in the driveway and after a week or so of driving over them sweep them up.

LOL...never even entered my mind!  We don't have a chipper...I even thought about the food processor (quickly ruled that out and laughed at myself).  I have looked into sedums and might just try them.  We have some forsythia cuttings and will put them in probably this weekend.  

Also got some phlox and will put that in as soon as I recoup (raking leaves and twigs for a couple of hours this afternoon)!

Thanks again, lizzie!!

Guest Tracy96

I have a steep bank and we've been adding phlox for 3 years now.  It is getting bigger each year but I still need to add a lot to it.  I'll try and post a pic when it blooms.

Crown Vetch.  It can look messy when not in season but it does answer some situations with steep banks.  You will have a problem with the seeds washing off but the bald spots could be reseeded.  I think Wayland Farm Supply may have it, or Hanzeleys.  I've seen it at one or the other.