GoDuBois.com

Need help with dahlia bulbs

QuickDraw

I have a question for our resident gardeners about dahlia bulbs.....

When is the best time to plant these bulbs and how do I go about it? Do I put them in little pots and then transplant? Do I wait until spring? My mom and I both have bulbs from last year, but we have no idea when to plant or what the heck to do with them! Help!

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!

You can put them in pots about the first of May in a protected spot or just wait and pop them in the ground about June 1.  That should give them time to miss the last frost before they get up out of the ground.  You can continue to grow them in rich potted soil of even transplant them although it generally doesn't put them that much ahead.

Dig the hole and amend the bottom with some manure and bone meal, then plant them at the recommended depth and water them.

http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Planting/Planting3.htm

If you put them outside make sure that you put them in a well drained area in full sun. Wait until the soil reaches about 60 degrees or you will risk the bulbs rotting. This would be when you set out tomatoes or plant corn.

Put them in a hole that is about 6 inches deep with the eyes pointing up. It doesn't hurt to dig the hole deeper and fill the bottom with some good top soil.

They can also be grown in pots. A lot of people do grow them this way as it eliminates problems with the bulbs. You could probably start them anytime after May 1st which would give them time to sprout before the weather gets warm enough to put the pots outside. You can always put them out in the daytime and bring them in at night if a frost threatens. Keep them in full sun and well watered. Also dahlias are heavy feeders so give them a dose of fertilizer frequently. If they get too big for the pots you have chosen move them into a planter. They do very well in outside planters and large pots.

In the fall leave them until the frost hits. Don't dig them up for a week or so after the tops are dead. This is the time that they produce the eyes that will be next year's sprouts.

After you dig them shake off the dirt, divide them leaving an eye or two on each part and store them in a cool dry area. The cooler the better but don't let them freeze.