GoDuBois.com

Sugar Snack Tomatoes

Cherry tomatoes are the easiest to grow and the most prolific, at least in my experience. Taste varies but something called Sugar Snack should be sweet.

Occasionally cherry tomatoes will split. There isn't too much you can do about this as it is mostly dependent on weather conditions.

Give it a little fertilizer occasionally and try to keep it watered. Basically treat it like a flower.

I think you have a winner!

p.s. I looked it up and it is an indeterminate variety which means it will get fairly tall. While you can let it sprawl these are better staked because they take up less room, animals can't get at them, they are easier to pick, etc.

This may be one that will do well in an upside down hanging bucket too.

The key is to position the bucket so that only the plant gets sun.  Otherwise the bucket and soil get too hot and damages the roots.  

We saw tomatoes in a hanging bucket.  The tomatoes were growing down from the bucket. They were upside down. We want to try it.   How do we plant them?  Do we drill holes in the bottom, or sides, and fill in the dirt around the roots or what?  We are not sure how to go about it.  Any information would be appreciated.  

This is as good an explaination as any:

http://www.minifarmhomestead.com/gardening/tomato.htm

I wrote an article on it many years ago but I never tried it. I'd use cherry tomatoes that were determinate. The heavier tomatoes might break the plant and I don't think you would want a really long vine. Same problem, breakage.

Keep it well watered and remember that tomatoes like sun.

And no holes in the sides of the bucket. It will drain too fast and the roots will never get wet. Remember that there are hormones in roots that make them grow down. They are not going to grow up and fill the bucket. Unless tomatoes are different from other plants.  :o

• 3 weeks later...

I tried these for the first time two years ago. I paid about $3.00 for each pant. I didn't have much luck with them. The few that did grow tasted great. They were VERY sweet. I have friends who plant them every year and have had great success with them.

I just bought several of these tomato plants and was wondering if they are any good? Also, do they grow nice?

This is my first year growing anything but flowers and strawberries so any help is appreciated!

The plant itself is growing beautifully so far! I cant wait to actually have tomatoes growing!

My strawberry plants are growing nicely as well. We just kind of threw em in the ground for a trial run and they have already doubled in size! Nice white flowers already blooming...

I love home grown fruits and veggies but I dont want to start a real garden til we own a house...then I'll be in here asking all sorts of questions lol!

I think I have grown Sugar Snack with success at some point. I just haven't planted cherry tomatoes in a number of years because no one wants to eat them and I can't remember for sure. If the plant is growing well I'm sure you will get lots of tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes are very prolific bearers.

Those grape tomatoes are the ones I can't grow. The plants are scraggly for me and I don't get much in the way of tomatoes. They are so sweet and crunchy!

You might want to read this on strawberry growing http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/strawberries/growing.html

Then again you might not. You will get strawberries no matter how you grow them. The closer you follow the growing instructions for you particular strawberry type the higher your yield will be. The old strawberry plants tend to wear out after a few years and that is where the runners come in but that is another story. Enjoy then and never let it become more work than it is worth.

I haven't seen any but I start mine from seed so I don't pay close attention. See if Rainbow Valley has them. They have the temporary green house at the plaza where Sarvey's is located. They will bring them up from the main greenhouse if they have them.

Remind me next year about February and I'll put in some seed for you. I know Totally Tomatoes has them. That catalogue has every tomato known to man! The little yellow tomato breeds true. I grew them one year and a friend saved the seed, planted it and got the exact same tomato.