GoDuBois.com

peonies question

wendy

I have a bunch of peonies and they are in back of my pole building really crappy location you can't see them when you are in the yard. Anyway they are about a foot tall can I move them now and will they still bloom? I just want them in a nicer spot to enjoy them. There is a lot of them and they are so pretty when they bloom.

I am not sure about moving them now.  I know I did it before but don't remember what happened.  You have to get alot of the root.  You could try with a little bit of it.  If there are any buds, I wouldn't do it now.

I have moved them in the fall and in the spring. When I moved them in the fall, they bloomed nicely the following spring. When I moved them in the spring, they didn't bloom in the spring. I have also noticed that if there aren't nts working the buds in the spring, I don't get any blooms. Ants don't seem to be a problem this spring. There are plenty of them and they have found my flowers.

Ants really have nothing to do with a Peony blooming or being damaged.  They just like collecting the nectar droplets that occur on some varieties and may actually protect the flowers from some harmful bugs.

As long as the area you are planting them into is well drained there should't be a problem transplanting them.  However, the best time is within a couple of weeks after they actually bloom.

Guest snellma

Does that mean you do not need ants for the flowers to bloom?  I was always taught that you needed ants for them to bloom.  Our peonies were alwasy covered in ants, and I don't just mean a few.

Yes, you do not need ants to make your Peonies bloom.  There is a fungus that can kill your blossoms but whether the ants carry it there or whether they avoid the plants with the fungus, I'm not sure.

Ants and peonies is one of those interesting evolutionary developments that people have found an untrue explanation for. It is a form of symbiosis in which only one party benefits, the ants. If you have aphids you will notice the ants showing up as well because of the sweet fluids the aphid secrete. The ants actually "milk" the aphids. Nature is weird and wonderful!

You might want to see what the Heartland Peony Society has to say about ants and some other things.

http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/faqindex.cgi

Sorry the link activating thingy doesen't seem to be working.

ants "milking" aphids is amazing. If memory serves, They are after what is known as, "Honey Dew".

Ants and peonies is one of those interesting evolutionary developments that people have found an untrue explanation for. It is a form of symbiosis in which only one party benefits, the ants. If you have aphids you will notice the ants showing up as well because of the sweet fluids the aphid secrete. The ants actually "milk" the aphids. Nature is weird and wonderful!

You might want to see what the Heartland Peony Society has to say about ants and some other things.

http://www.peonies.org/cgi-bin/faqindex.cgi

Sorry the link activating thingy doesen't seem to be working.