GoDuBois.com

Having Never Done This.........

old3dogg

I've seen worse pruning jobs.  However, it will probably depend on whether any disease gets into the fresh cuts at this point.  That's why you normally trim them in the dry/cold of the winter.

If branches start to appear in the spring then choose a few for scaffold branches and keep the rest cut off right at the growth ring next to the trunk.  The cuts should heal over in a year or two if they are done right.

Make the branches about 6-8 inches apart and choose to keep those that go straight out from the tree.  Trim off any "V"S.  No upward branches.  Call in the spring and I can point when you cut! :)

Dogg you didn't over do it. For as long as I can remember our apple trees have always been trimmed like that.

Mine will look like that late Fall early Winter.

Grandma always said she wanted to be able to throw a baseball through without hitting a limb.

Petee mentioned something about waiting until February. I didn't want to wade snow to trim it.

Yeah, you kind of picked the worst time of the year to prune apple trees but I've seen trees in orchards with fewer branches when they got done. Get a picture of what a well pruned apple tree should look like and remove what doesn't look like yours when it starts to grow in the spring otherwise you will get a bunch of weak branches that wont support the weight of the apples. 

almost all my apple tree branches go upward.....watch out tree, you are about to get clearcut.....when its cold and dry of course

When you're ready we have Apprentices who need hours before the end of March so call and we'll send them out to show you want to cut.  849-7361  It's free!

we would be happy to not get any apples. the tree we have is very very old. We have lived here since 1989, who knows when the people who lived here planted it. This house was moved here in the mid to late 30's (company house)

At least the quince doesn't give off a pungent odor that you can get drunk off of!!! It's funny watching bees, hornets, and flies getting drunk off of the apples. Cheap entertainment!!

I have a apple tree inthe yard it has been there 12 years and I think I may have gotten one apple off it in those twelve years. Maybe we need to trim it as well. My wife did it a few years back but still no apples .

There can be lots of reasons for a tree not producing apples.  Any idea what kind of an apple?  Maybe it needs a pollinator the frost gets it.