GoDuBois.com

Having Never Done This.........

old3dogg

There can be lots of reasons for a tree not producing apples.  Any idea what kind of an apple?  Maybe it needs a pollinator the frost gets it.

Not sure what kind it is. The neighbors have a nice tree and there is one in the lot next to them and they both produce apples. They are good size trees also. Mine is still rather small. I was going to see if the neighbors would let me get a few of their apples since they dont use them and I came home one  day and someone had picked them all already LOL

Are the trunk and leaves in pretty good condition considering the time of year?  If it is small for its relative age then is it a dwarf or not growing as expected?  How is the soil it is planted in, the moisture, how is trunk where it goes into the ground? 

If culture isn't the problem then maybe it's in a really cold spot and the blossoms freeze every year.  Have there ever been a lot of blossoms in the past?  If you've had at least one apple then possibly it needs a pollinator.  That would depend on what kind of an apple it is.

It most likely is a dwarf tree. it is a healthy tree just doesn't produce any apples. If I had some space I would like to plant several more but really dont have the room yet. Although I have been looking at small farmettes and homes with some acreage. If I can find a nice place especially if it has a pond I will be moving.

• 8 months later...

I hate to tell you this, but you're probably not going to get as many apples this year, dogg.

No advice on the dogwood. I severely wounded my fancy tree last fall. Backed a truck into it. It has less leaves than your apple tree.

I dont mind not having apples. The deer might though.

• 1 month later...

well after reading this thread again My apple tree this year still has nothing on it I may have to have cut it back like dogg did and see but no worries because I did find that small farm I was looking for and it just happens to have lots of apple and pear trees on it.

Dogg you didn't over do it. For as long as I can remember our apple trees have always been trimmed like that.

Mine will look like that late Fall early Winter.

Grandma always said she wanted to be able to throw a baseball through without hitting a limb.

I have heard the quote about the baseball also.