GoDuBois.com

Sides and Vegetables Recipes

Pompeii

• 1 month later...

Oven Roasted Zucchini Fries (Atkins friendly)

3 Medium zucchini~ washed and patted dry.

1/4 cup of olive oil

variety of spices: tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp salt/pepper

tsp cumin, tsp oregano, chopped fresh rosemary (whatever your spice desires are)

2 tbsp parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Take cookie sheet and rub thin coat of olive oil on surface.

In a bowl throw all of your favorite spices and parmesan cheese to combine.

Take the zucchini and cut in half length wise. cut the flesh out where the seeds are. discard this flesh.

Slice zucchini into shoe string style slivers. like french fries.

Put zucchini in bowl with spices and gently toss without breaking shoe strings.

drizzle oil and toss to coat with spices and oil.

Lay zucchini on cookie sheet, in one layer.

Bake in 500 degree temp oven for 15-18 minutes until crisp.

Serve with Garlic Mayo.

Garlic Mayo

3 cloves garlic (minced)

1 cup Mayo

1/2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

1/4 tsp salt (optional)

Whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to combine.

**Could also add cayenne pepper or hot sauce for spice.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have exact measurements but I usually take 4 or 5 eggs and beat them up. Then I add enough flour to make a sticky dough. Then I dump flour on the cutting board and put the dough in the center and work in enough flour to  be able to roll them out. You don't want too much or they fall apart in the broth but if you don't get enough they stick to your rolling pin. I always put alot under them and then shake them off when I put them in the broth. I use a pizza cutter to cut them. Some people add a little baking powder to them too. Not an exact science. Hope it helps

Or...you can cheat and buy a couple bags of Klioski (sp) noodles.they are pretty good but you'll have to thicken them if you want a thick broth on them

• 2 months later...

Asparagus Casserole

2 cups fresh asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths

1 can cream of mushroom soup

4 ounces mushrooms, sliced

2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided

1 can or 3 ounces French fried onion rings

Butter a casserole dish. Put a layer of asparagus on bottom, then add soup. Add mushrooms and half the cheese. Add second layer of asparagus and end with a layer of cheese. Bake at 350 degrees F or 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Sprinkle onion rings on top and return to oven for 5 minutes more.

How about cucumbers and vinegar.

Slice cucumbers as thin as possible.

Slice an onion as thin as possible.

Pour 1/4 - 1/3 c. vinegar into a 2 cup container.  Add 1/4 c. sugar.  Add remaining water to the 2 cup line.  Stir till dissolved.

Add all ingredients and add salt and pepper to taste.  The longer they sit the better they are.

Tomatoes and peppers can also be added.

I would definitely make at least one day in advance so they have time to soak.

I think my Mom used canned milk in this.  Anyone else know how much?  Would it be in place of the water?

• 6 months later...

Too Many Radishes

I hunted for some recipes using radishes and compiled those that look the most interesting.

Radish Relish

3 cups stemmed radishes

2 large ribs celery

1 large red onion

2 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1 tbls mustard seed

2 tsp dill seed

1/2 tsp celery seed

1 cup vinegar

2 tbls prepared horseradish

Put the radishes, celery and onion through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chop them fiely. Mix with remaining ingredients and allow to stand three hours. Bring to a boil in a large pan and cook ten minutes. Pour into hot jars, leaving half-inch head space. Adjust lids and process 1/2 pints and pints in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Radish Salsa

1 T extra virgin olive oil

1 T red wine vinegar

1/8 tsp sugar

1/8 tsp dry mustard

dash of salt and fresh ground pepper

1/4 c red radish matchsticks

1/4 c seeded cucumber matchsticks

Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, sugar, mustard salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir in the radish and cucumber, cover and refrigerate.

Spring Radishes Braised with Shallots and Vinegar

2 large bunches of radishes, about 1 pound

3 large shallots

1 tablespoon butter

2 ounces salt pork, slivered into small slices

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1/2 cup water

1 small bunch Italian parsley, leaves chopped into about two handfuls

Salt and pepper

Trim away tops and bottoms of the radishes, reserving for soup or discarding to compost. Slice each radish in half from top to bottom. Peel the shallots and slice into thin rings.

Heat the butter and salt pork over medium heat in a large heavy skillet - preferably cast iron. When the pork is starting to curl up at the edges and the butter has foamed and subsided, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until they start to brown slightly. Add the radishes, placing each cut side down in the skillet. Let them cook undisturbed for about 2 minutes or until the bottoms just start to color.

Add the balsamic vinegar and the water - the water should just come up around the sides of the radishes. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Remove the cover and continue to simmer for about 3-4 minutes, or unti the water has reduced into a syrupy sauce. Add the the parsley and saut

• 4 months later...

Parmesan roasted cauliflower

1 head of cauliflower

1/4c of olive oiol

salt & pepper

parmesan cheese

cut cauliflower into bite size pieces (I just cut cauliflower into florets)

pour oil over cauliflower and stir till coated

add salt & pepper to taste, stir

add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, stir till coated

you can add parsley and minced garlic  to taste if you want.

pour onto baking sheet that has been sprayed with oil (I use Pam Olive Oil)

bake in oven at 400 degrees till browned (20-30 minutes) depends on how brown you want it.

after baking, put browned cauliflower into a bowl and add more parmesan cheese, stir, serve and eat!!

Delicious!!!

I use Bisquick for frying zucchini, I add whatever spices I want, pepper, garlic salt, parsley flakes, dip the sliced zucchini in milk so the coating sticks and fry. I also use the same for frying chicken. I would never use anything else. I must warn though to never ever use it in place of flour for homemade noodles. LOL they swell up until they no longer fit into the pan. That was a very messy experiment.

A good potato side our family enjoys:

1 bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes, the cubed ones

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 small container of sour cream

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

bake at 350 for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't find my stuffing casserole recipe.  Used torn up regular bread or kaiser rolls, had cream of mushroom, maybe cream of celery soup in it along with sauteed onions and celery, some kind of herbs.

Does this ring any bells?   I saw the stuffing recipe on here with eggs but I think that would make a tighter version of stuffing than I'd like.  I tried the campbells soup website but all their recipes use packaged and pre-seasoned bread cubes.

help is appreciated.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

This is the eggplant ball recipe I used except that I fiddle around with recipes. I added about 1/4 cup of fresh basil and some fresh chives. Also a pinch of red pepper flakes, in addition to the fresh garlic, I added some granulated garlic and I used panko bread crumbs. My very picky youngest grandson had no clue that they weren't made from meat, too funny!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18088/aunt-marys-eggplant-balls/

10 hours ago, steelnut said:

This is the eggplant ball recipe I used except that I fiddle around with recipes. I added about 1/4 cup of fresh basil and some fresh chives. Also a pinch of red pepper flakes, in addition to the fresh garlic, I added some granulated garlic and I used panko bread crumbs. My very picky youngest grandson had no clue that they weren't made from meat, too funny!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18088/aunt-marys-eggplant-balls/

To peel or not to peel (the eggplant), that is the question? ;) I'm all for short cuts but I'm thinking it should be peeled.  🤔