GoDuBois.com

Soups & Chili Recipes

Pompeii

• Administrators

Potato Soup

has always been a favorite of my kids and now my grandchildren all love it too.  There are no specific measurements, as I learned to make it from my Mother, and she learned from her Mother.  It was a staple during the depression when most everything you ate had to come from your own garden.

Start with as much water as you wish to end up with as soup.  Bring it to a boil in a generous sized kettle.

Add approximately 1 Tbl of real Butter,

• 7 months later...

Homemade Beef Stew

Ingredients:

2) Large Potatoes

2) Large Carrots or 1) Can Sliced Carrots

1) Medium Onion

1) Can Whole Kernel Corn

1) Can Green Beans

1 1/2 Lbs of Diced beef or Stew Beef

1/2 tsp garlic salt

2-4 cups of hot water (depends on how much you make and how big your pot is)

Fry up stew beef in fry pan, just enough to brown them. (Don't worry the inside will still get cooked). Peel the potatoes, carrots, and onion. Dice the potatoes and onion, slice the carrots, add to a large pot with water. Add corn green beans, garlic salt, and beef (if there is no juice left with the beef, you can use beef broth, but only use half a can). Stir really well. Set stove to low or medium and let set for at  least 2 hours, stirring randomly. Add more water if neccessary.

Serve with fresh homade bread, and you go yourself a tummy warming meal. You can also use this recipe with a crock pot, works just as well too.

Zuppa Toscana Soup (Olive Garden knockoff)

1 lb loose Sweet Italian Sausage or turkey sausage

1 bunch fresh kale,  de-vained & chopped

1 cup fat free half & half

2 cans fat free low sodium chicken broth

1 small onion chopped

4 tsp turkey bacon crumbled (I use real bacon bits)

3 med. russet potatoes cut up into 1/4 inch slices then quartered

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1/2 tsp salt

Cook sausage. rinse & drain when finished cooking.

(spray bottom of pan with light coat of olive or canola oil spray)

Place onions & garlic in a large pot and cook over medium heat until onions are almost clear.

Add bacon

Add chicken broth and potatoes, simmer for 15 min.

Add sausage

Add Kale

lastly add the half & half

You may need to add a 1/2 cup or so of water or extra chicken broth to make sure you have the right consistency. Turn to low heat, heat thoroughly & serve.

This tastes like Olive Gardens Zuppa Toscanna soup the best part is this is a recipe for all of you weight watchers out there it is 5 points per serving. recipe makes 6 servings. I know there is a place for healthy recipes but if I put it there not sure how many will try it. I will be posting other recipes for weight watchers too I will put them in the category I think they would best fit. I lost 37 lbs & hubby lost 56lbs using these recipes & they taste good imagine that :D

Garden Vegetable Soup   (weight watchers 0 points)

2/3 cup sliced carrots                       1/2 cup green beans

1/2 cup diced onion                         1 tbls tomato paste

2 garlic cloves, minced                     1/2 tsp dried basil

3 cups fat free broth                        1/4 tsp dried oregano

beef, chicken or vege.             1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups diced green cabbage       1/2 cup diced zucchini

In a large pot sprayed with cooking spray, saute the carrots, onions & garlic over low heat until softened about 5 minutes.

add broth, cabbage, beans, tomato paste, basil, oregano, & salt; bring to a boil. lower heat and simmer covered about 15 min or until beans are tender.

stir in zucchini and heat 3-4 minutes. makes 4- 1 cup servings

I omit the zucchini when it's not in season.

Italian Tortellini Stew (crockpot)  (weight watchers 2 points)

1 onion chopped

32 oz chicken broth fat free low sodium

28 oz crushed tomatoes

15 oz great northern beans

2 tbsp basil

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

8 oz dry cheese filled tortellini

Combine all ingredients except tortellini in slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. turn heat to high and add the tortellini. Cook 20 min.

8 servings

• 5 weeks later...

Hubby's Stuffed Pepper Soup

2lbs.Browned ground beef ,seasoned with salt and pepper to your likeing.

1 (28oz.) Diced Tomatos (undrained)

1 (28oz.) Can of Tomato soup

3/4 Cup Tomato Paste

Approx. 2 gal. of water

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar

2 Beef boillion cubes

1 Qt. of thin sliced Green Peppers

Bring to a Boil, Reduce heat,Simmer until Peppers are tender.

Add 1 1/2 Cup White Rice 1/2 hour before soup should be ready .

Add 1 Cup Romaon Cheese.

This makes a whole lot of soup. But is great to freeze for later also.

• 4 weeks later...

Pasta Fagiole  

I can just tell you what I do, so here goes.

Make sure that you have a nice ham bone w/lots of meat left on the bone. Use dried lima beans, I prefer the large limas. The night before you plan to have pasta fagiole, sort thru the beans and discard any bad ones. Then put them in a large pot and cover w/ 6-8 cups of cold water, cover and soak overnight. The next day, drain the beans, rinse well and drain again. Place the beans back into the large pot w/ the ham bone. Along with a large diced onion. Cook until the beans are tender. When tender, add ditalini or farfalle and cook until done. It's great this way or you can add a can of diced tomatoes. We love it either way. As far as proportions, if you use 1# of beans, use 1/2# of pasta, if you use 2# of beans, use 1# of pasta, and so on.  

Delicious!!!  

Sorry, I forgot to add that you take the ham off the bone and add into the pasta fagiole! Duh, I don't know what I was thinking! Sorry.

• 1 month later...

Bori-Bori (Dumpling Soup)

10 cups beef stock

2 lbs beef brisket or chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes

1 cup yellow or white cornmeal

1/3 cup grated Parmesan or other hard cheese

1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion

4 Tbs butter, melted

1 egg

1 egg yolk

Chopped fresh parsley for garnish

Additional grated Parmesan for garnish

Combine the beef stock and cubed beef in a pot and bring to a

boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer covered until the

beef is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Skim off and discard any foam and fat that has risen to the surface.

Meanwhile, combine the cornmeal, Parmesan, onion, butter, egg, and egg yolk in a bowl and mix with a fork to make a thick batter.

Roll the batter into balls the size of small walnuts and drop gently into the simmering soup.

Simmer covered until the dumplings are cooked through, about 30 minutes.

Serve garnished with chopped parsley and serve with grated Parmesan. Serves 6 to 8.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest snellma

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP

by MARY ANN SNELL

1 head cauliflower

1/4 c. margarine

2 Tbsp. Flour

chopped onion

2 c. chicken broth

2 c. milk

1 c. liquid reserved from cooked cauliflower

• 6 months later...

CREAM OF ROASTED PEPPER SOUP PREPARED IN A CROCK POT: Sautee 1 1/2 cups of onions in 1/2 stick of butter. When done add 3 tablespoons of corn starch.Puree in a blender along with 2 jars of roasted peppers. Put in a crockpot along with 2 cans of chicken broth,1 12 ounce can of tomato paste,1 quart of half and half,3 tablespoons of sugar,1/2 teaspoon of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder and salt to taste.Cook on low for 3 or 4 hours. It makes about 5 quarts.ENJOY.

• 9 months later...

Homemade  Tomato Soup

1 Peck tomatoes

3 stalks of celry,chopped

1/2 dozen onions, chopped

Cook until soft. Then if you want smooth soup put it through a food mill.

Melt 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour to make a rue.

Add juice to flour mixture and cook 15 minutes. You can adjust the rue to make the desired thickness.

Add 1/2-3/4 cup sugar and 5 teas. salt.

Put in hot jars and clod pack 30 minutes.

I'm not sure how many you will get. Depends on the amount of juice you have. I made 8 batches and got almost 60 pints. You can also peel the tomatoes and not put it through the mil lif you like chunky soup.

Homemade  Tomato Soup

Melt 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour to make a rue.

Add juice to flour mixture and cook 15 minutes. You can adjust the rue to make the desired thickness.

Is it safe to can with the flour and butter? I have always heard that you can't can things with flour in or butter.

• 1 month later...

Potato Soup

has always been a favorite of my kids and now my grandchildren all love it too.  There are no specific measurements, as I learned to make it from my Mother, and she learned from her Mother.  It was a staple during the depression when most everything you ate had to come from your own garden.

Start with as much water as you wish to end up with as soup.  Bring it to a boil in a generous sized kettle.

Add approximately 1 Tbl of real Butter, ? C sliced sweet onion and salt/pepper to taste, plus some parsley, remembering that there will be less water when the Potatoes are finished.  Don?t overdo, you can always add.  

Add general purpose round white potatoes peeled and diced into bite sized pieces, about half as many potatoes as water.  I prefer the size of a very large grape or a little larger.  Baking potatoes will disintegrate.

Cook potatoes till they are very tender.  Add little egg dumplings (about 1 level tsp of dough or less) to boiling soup.  Wet a tablespoon in the boiling soup, collect a narrow oval dumpling on the side edge of the spoon, drop it into the soup.  Work fast.  Allow soup to simmer gently for 5 minutes, reduce heat to low, then cover for 15 minutes.

Chewy Little Egg Dumplings:  We like a lot of them!

About 1 egg or more, beaten thoroughly, for every pint of finished soup. Mix in enough flour to make a very soft dough, plus salt, pepper, parsley, or whatever spices you like.  You can cook a couple of dumplings while potatoes are boiling to get the consistency and taste as you like it before you actually cook them all.  If dumplings are spongy, add more flour next time; too tough add less.  

Your soup should end up being slightly thickened and full of potatoes and dumplings.  I sometimes add some diced ham to it too.

That is pretty much how my mother and grandmother made it, except they add milk at the end.  They just pour the milk in until it looks right to them and leave it on the stove just long enough to heat the milk but not really boiling it.  The depression turned out some of the best food when people had to start stretching what they had, and getting inventive with their rations.  My mother tuned in really quickly to my love all depression era goodies and purchased me a cook book "Depression Era Recipes" last year.   :)

Cheryl?s Chili

Add about 1 inch of water to the bottom of a large heavy soup pot and bring it to a boil.  Add about 1 ? C. large chopped sweet onion.  Cook till transparent, then add 1-2 lb lean ground beef.  Cook through, and stir gently, being careful not to break up meat too much.

When done, add 2 Tbl finely diced green pepper (and red sweet pepper if you have it) , 2-3 large crushed cloves of fresh garlic, a little salt and pepper, and 2-3 Tbl of Chili Powder.  If you like it hot, you can add Cumin, Hot Sauce, Cayenne Pepper and extra Black Pepper.  You choose because you will have to deal with it the next day!

Add enough crushed tomatoes, and kidney and chili beans (I rinse and drain the kidney beans) to your preference making sure it?s a little juicier than you want the finished chili.  (Tomato Juice works best to add moisture).  

Once it?s all stirred and hot, add about 2/3 C Ketchup, 2 Tbl Prepared Yellow Mustard, and 2 Tbl Sugar.  (This is a good time to do a taste test and alter seasonings to your personal taste).  I usually add extra salt and sugar at this time.  Simmer for about ? hour, stirring gently to make sure it doesn?t stick.  

Good topped with Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese, and Beano!

Try adding spaghetti noodles broken into about 2 inch pieces, or elbow macaroni noodles.   ;)

Homemade Beef Stew

Ingredients:

2) Large Potatoes

2) Large Carrots or 1) Can Sliced Carrots

1) Medium Onion

1) Can Whole Kernel Corn

1) Can Green Beans

1 1/2 Lbs of Diced beef or Stew Beef

1/2 tsp garlic salt

2-4 cups of hot water (depends on how much you make and how big your pot is)

Fry up stew beef in fry pan, just enough to brown them. (Don't worry the inside will still get cooked). Peel the potatoes, carrots, and onion. Dice the potatoes and onion, slice the carrots, add to a large pot with water. Add corn green beans, garlic salt, and beef (if there is no juice left with the beef, you can use beef broth, but only use half a can). Stir really well. Set stove to low or medium and let set for at  least 2 hours, stirring randomly. Add more water if neccessary.

Serve with fresh homade bread, and you go yourself a tummy warming meal. You can also use this recipe with a crock pot, works just as well too.

I usually skip the corn and green beans.  I also usually mix cornstarch and water, or flour and water, and add to it to thicken it up because I like a really thick gravy stew, instead of a soup.  I usually add dumplings or cook noodles on the side to pour the stew over.

• 1 month later...

CHILI

2 LB. GROUND BEEF

1 C. DICED ONION

1 MED. RED OR GREEN PEPPER

1 16 OZ. CAN DICED TOMATOS

1 16 OZ. CAN TOMATO JUICE

1 16 OZ. CAN PORK N BEANS

1 16 OZ. CAN KIDNEY BEANS

1 1/2 TSP. SALT

1 TBSP. GARLIC POWDER

1 TBSP. CHILI POWDER

1 TBSP CRUSHED RED PEPPER (I USE HALF)

1 C. GRATED CHEDDAR CHEESE

2 C. CORNMEAL

15 OZ. CAN CREAMED CORN

1/2 C. SUGAR

1/2 C. MILK

BROWN MEAT, ADD ONION,  GREEN PEPPER, TOMATOS, TOMATO JUICE,PORK N BEANS, KIDNEY BEANS, SALT, GARLIC, CHILI POWDER AND RED PEPPER. COOK ON MEDIUM HEAT FOR 30 MINUTES. IN SEPARATE BOWL MIX CORNMEAL, CORN, SUGAR AND MILK. POUR CHILI IN DEEP 9X13 DISH. SPRINKLE WITH CHEESE. SPOON CORNMEAL MIX OVER THE TOP. BALE 350-400 FOR APPROX. 1/2 HOUR OR UNTIL CORNMEAL MIXTURE IS COOKED.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Baked Beef Stew

4 pounds stew meat (DO NOT BROWN)

3 to 4 potatoes

3 to 4 carrots

3 to 4 ribs celery

1 large onion

1 can tomato soup

1 can beef broth or 1 bouillon cube

1 large can tomatoes

1 tablespoon A-1 sauce

4 tablespoons Minute tapioca

1 green bell pepper

Salt and pepper

1 clove garlic, crushed

Cut all vegetables into chunks. Place all ingredients in a heavy kettle and bake, covered, for 5 hours at 275 degrees F. Add water, if necessary, during cooking. Stir during the last hour of baking.

Beef and Barley Stroganoff

Stew

1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup pearl barley

2 tablespoons catsup

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon salt

Dash of pepper

2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms

1/2 cup sour cream

Mix all ingredients except the sour cream in a 4-quart crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.

Turn off heat then stir in sour cream.

Serve over egg noodles.

Beef Barley Stew

1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces

1 medium onion, chopped

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 quart water

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 celery rib, thinly sliced

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon paprika

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 cups fresh or frozen green beans

2 cups fresh or frozen corn

3/4 cup medium pearl barley

In a skillet, brown beef and onion in oil; drain. Transfer to a 5-quart crockpot. Add water, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, salt, oregano, paprika and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

Add beans, corn and barley; cover and cook on low 2 hours longer or until barley, beef and vegetables are tender.

Yields 6 to 8 servings.