GoDuBois.com

Jams & Jellies Recipes

Pompeii

• Administrators

Mulberry jelly

This is my grand mother's recipe for Mulberry jelly, I haven't made it

for many years (uncle Earl's tree got hit by lightning)

4 lbs. mulberries

71/2 C. water

2 C. sugar per each 2 1/2 cups juice

Simmer berries and water until berries are soft about 1 hour. Strain

through a jelly bag and measure. Put juice in a large sauce pan over

low heat. Add sugar and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat-boil

until jelly reaches 221 degrees F on a candy themo. Remove from heat,

skim off any foam. Pour into prepared jelly jars. Process 5 minutes in

a steam bath processor. Hope this helps

• 7 months later...
Guest snellma

Crock Pot Apple Butter

I start this in the evening after work.

4 c. sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. salt

Peel and slice apples to completely fill the crock pot.

Cook on high for about an hour or so.

Add sugar and spices, stir, and continue cooking on high until you go to bed.

At bedtime turn down to low and let cook all night.

When you get up in the morning turn back up to high, remove the lid, and let cook on high for about an hour.

After about an hour, turn the crockpot off and let sit through the afternoon.

At this point I put mine through a sieve and then can.  The recipe says to stir it with a whisk to get out the lumps.

Crock Pot Apple Butter

4 c. sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. salt

When you get up in the morning turn back up to high, remove the lid, and let cook on high for about an hour.

At this point I put mine through a sieve and then can.  The recipe says to stir it with a whisk to get out the lumps.

Snellma, do you use a 3 qt or a 5 qt? Thanks!

Guest snellma

I don't have a clue, but I would say the 5 qt.  I think I actually have both.  The one I have been using is oval shaped and pretty big, but I have used both and haven't changed the recipe.

Guest snellma

You do not add any water.  There is enough water in the apples already.  Trust me, the steam from the apples cooking creates water and the apples themselves have a lot of moisture.  If anything it will not be thick enough.  That's why I let it cook on high for an hour without the lid and then let it sit all day without the lid.

I used macintosh and cortland apples.  I like different types to give it a better flavor.  It is so easy and has such a good flavor.  I have already eaten 2 jars.

• 10 months later...

Crock Pot Apple Butter

4 c. sugar

2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 tsp. salt

When you can it do you can it in a water bath and for how long? I am making some right now. I just have cortland apples but it smells delicious.

Also, after the first hour it had cooked down a lot and I added more apples to fill it. Is that all right do you think?

Brenda

I actually don't put any of my jams or jellies in the water bath canner.  I use hot jars, hot lids, hot bands, hot contents, and then pour hot melted wax on top of it.  The wax is an added bonus of protection.  All the jars usually seal that way anyhow.  If you want to do it in the water bath canner I would say 15-20 min.

I'm sure it won't matter that you added more apples.

Not a problem.  I am completely out so will have to get busy and get some made myself.  It is a big hit with all my friends and a good seller.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hubby is gonna give your recipe a try snellma. He has been wanting to make apple butter and a guy at work gave him some apples........I used the northern spys in pies and apple crisps.....mmmmmm but the other apples are yellow and I'm not sure what type they are.

Guest snellma

Let me know how it turns out.

We are going to VA this weekend so I am going to get a good supply of apples since I didn't get to go to PA this year.  I need to can some pie filling and get some apple butter made.  It makes the house smell so good.

• 1 year later...
Guest snellma

Anyone have a recipe for Red ands Green Pepper Jelly ?

Wash jars and lids.  Place about an inch of water in the bottom of each jar.  Place in microwave and heat for about 3 minutes as you are starting the cooking process.  I then turn on for one minute to time the rolling boil.  At the end of the minute, dump the water, and pour in jam.  Place lids and seals in a pan of water and heat.  I cover all my jams and jellies with a layer of wax for extra protection but do not can mine in water bath.  Hot food into hot jars, then hot melted wax, and then hot lids and seals.  Tighten and leave unattended for 24 hrs.

2 medium green peppers

3 medium red peppers

10 large jalepeno peppers

Portect hands with rubber gloves while preparing jalepeno peppers.  Stem and halve all peppers; discard seeds.  Finely chop peppers.

Ingredients for jelly:

4 cups prepared peppers

1 cup cider vinegar

5 cups sugar

Stir in 1 box of sure-jel into peppers and cider in a saucepan.  Add 1/2 tsp. butter or margarine to reduce foaming.

Bring mixture to full rolling boil (a boil thad oesn't stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.

Stir in sugar quickly.  Stirring constantly, return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 minute.  remove from heat.  Skim off any foam.  Pour into hot jars, cover with hot wax, then hot lids and seals.  Leave alone for 24 hrs.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone make strawberry freezer jam? I would like to give it a try.....I love strawberry preserves, and had some freezer jam on my pancakes last weekend, boy was it good!!  

I didnt get any replies that I can remember on this freezer jam.....can anyone help!! Was planning on getting strawberries soon....

I make strawberry freezer jam every year. I use the recipe off the sure gel pack. Just be sure to follow the directions exactly. and I never had much luck with it setting if I put more than it called for in the container. Anyone have a good canned apple pie filling recipe?

Guest steelergirl

I just made the strawberry freezer jam from the sure-gel package. very simple. I have it memorized! Its found on the insert in the Sure-Gel box:

2 cups crushed berries

4 cups sugar

mix berries and sugar well and let sit about 10 mins.

mix 1 pkg sure gel with 3/4 cup water

bring to boil, boil 1 min, stirring occasionally.

Pour into berry mixture, stirring well (about 3 mins) until sugar is dissolved.

pour into jars, let sit 24 hours to set up, then freeze.

I don't like lumpy jelly, so i always completely puree mine- it says not to puree it, but i still do, and it works just fine.

I LOVE this jam, its the only stuff i will eat!

Guest steelergirl

if you use these definitions of jelly,jam, and preserves:  

Jelly - made from fruit juice - no fruit pieces

Jam - made with small pieces of fruit and sometimes fruit pulp.

Preserves - made with large or whole pieces of fruit.

Mine is a Jam.

it recommends you smash the berries with a potato masher, so you can decide how big or little the pieces of fruit is.... i used a "magic bullet" to puree my down with no pieces of fruit.