2 C flour

1 t baking powder

1 t baking soda

1 t cinnamon

1/4 t salt

1 C chocolate chips

1 T orange zest (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees

Mix sugar, pumpkin, shortning and orange zest. (I've made them with and without the orange zest, and they're great both ways) Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the chocolate chips and mix. Drop by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 8 to 10minutes. Don't overbake.

Frosting

3/4 stick of margarine

1 C brown sugar

3 to 4 t milk

Mix together and stir over low heat until the brown sugar is totally dissolved. Cool a little, then add 1 C of powdered sugar and 1/2 t vanilla. Spread over warm cookies.

Enjoy!!

T=Tablespoon

t=Teaspoon

C=Cup

Nut Horns

1 lb butter

1 lb cream cheese

4 1/2 cups flour

powdered sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese.  Add flour gradually.  Cover and chill overnight.  Divide into thirds.  On powdered sugared surface, roll each portion to 12 1/2 X 10 in rectangle.  Cut into 2 1/2 in squares.  Place a dot of nut mixture or preserves in center of each square.  Bring up 2 diagonal corners to center of square and fold over.  Bake on ungreased cookie sheets in 350 degrees oven for 15-20 min.

Nut Mixture

1 cup brown sugar

4 egg whites

2 lb chopped walnuts

1 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 can evaporated milk

A few tips:  This makes about 10 dozen cookies.  It is better if someone helps you because the dough will melt if it gets too warm.  I found a can lid that was the perfect size for cutting or maybe you have a square cookie cutter.  I use the baking fillings for other flavors like apricot or poppyseed.

Haven't tried these yet but I found this recipe and they look great.  I love chocolate covered cherries!

CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup butter, room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained, reserve juice

1 (6-ounce) package semisweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

PREPARATION:

In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda, blending well; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter or margarine and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well.

Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; beat until smooth and well blended. With hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb. Drain Maraschino cherries well, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie.

In small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the topping over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. If frosting seems too thick, thin with a little more cherry juice. Bake at 350? for 10 minutes, or until done. Remove to wire rack to cool.

Makes 3 to 4 dozen cookies.

TOFFEE BARS

44 honey or cinnamon graham crackers

1 stick butter

1 stick oleo

1 cup sugar

melt together and add sugar

bring to boil for 3 minutes

line cookie sheet with foil and spray with pam

put crackers on it (broken ito pieces)

pour sugar mixture over them

sprinkle with nuts and chocolate chips (you can add any kind of nuts or chips you like )

bake at 350 for 8 minutes

when its bubbly , its doing its thing

cool and break apart

note - bend foil up around sides to prevent boiling over

Sugar Cookies (cut outs )

5 cups flour

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup oleo

1 cup milk

1tsp baking soda

4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

add all dry ingredients  1st , mix in wet ingredients

dough will be real sticky

refridgerate for 1 hour

add flour to roll out  as needed

cut 1/4 " thickness

bake at 350 for 10 minutes

these are the thicker , softer sugar cookie

decorate with icing and sprinkles

Cinnamon Crisps

Makes 3-4 dozen

1 1/4 cups flour

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup sugar

1 tsp almond extract

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 cup shortening

1 egg

1/2 cup almonds, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 375.  Grease 2 baking sheets.  Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt.  In a large bowl; cream shortening and sugar.  Beat in the egg.  Beat in the almond extract.  Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.  Combine the almonds and cinnamon in a shallow dish.  Pinch off walnut sized pieces of dough and roll into balls.  Roll in the almond mixture and place 1 /12 inches apart on the baking sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Place on rack to cool.

These are very good.

[face=Verdana]I'm actually kinda known for my cookies this time of year and I would just like to give out a general tip that can make or break many cookies recipes:

Sugars are crystals and should be mixed with the "wet" not dry ingredients.

Hope this helps.

Merry Christmas[/face]

• 2 weeks later...
Haven't tried these yet but I found this recipe and they look great.  I love chocolate covered cherries!

CHOCOLATE COVERED CHERRY COOKIES

I ended up making these for Christmas, an hour of prep time and if a cookie could be too chocolatey, this is the one.  Not worth the time, IMO.  They sounded good.

• 2 months later...

Snickerdoodles

For an even better cookie, make them with real butter and add just a little more flour.  I also prefer more sugar and less Cinnamon to roll them in.

Snickerdoodle Cookies

1 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 cup shortening (or real Butter)

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons cream of tartar

In a shallow bowl, combine 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; set aside.

Cream shortening; gradually add 1 1/2 cups sugar, beating well.

Add eggs; beat well.

Stir in vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt and cream of tartar. Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture; stir until well blended.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Place cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.

Bake at 400

• 1 year later...

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cups packed brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

1 egg

1 15 oz can pumpkin

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts  

5 oz. (1/2 bag) chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.

In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the pumpkin and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pie spice, and cinnamon; gradually mix into the creamed mixture. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets.

Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until light brown. Cool on wire racks.

I got the recipe from the internet and after reading the suggestions of others who tried it i am printing the recipe the way others recommended using part brown sugar, more pumpkin, etc. because that is the way I tried it and really like it. I didn't add frosting, although I am sure you could. Great cookie and not too sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay its not a cookie, but there isn't a 'fudge' and 'candy' thread....

Pumpkin Nut Fudge

1     cup     sugar

1/2     cup     firmly packed light brown sugar

1/4     cup     evaporated milk

1/3     cup     canned pumpkin  (not pie filling)

1/3     cup     butter

6     oz     vanilla chips usually found near chocolate chips)

1/2     jar     marshmallow creme (or 3 1/2 oz.)

1/2     cup     chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Combine the sugars, evaporated milk, pumpkin  and butter in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil about 4 minutes over medium heat or to 234 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir continuously to prevent scorching. Remove from heat and add vanilla chips. Stir until melted. Stir in marshmallow creme and nuts. Pour into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Refrigerate until firm enough to cut (may take several hours).

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Sneakerdoodles (Snickerdoodles)

<object width="425" height="425" align="middle"><param name="movie" value="http://www.instructables.com/static/flash/viewer.swf"></param><param'>http://www.instructables.com/static/flash/viewer.swf"></param><param name="quality" value="high"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="title=Sneakerdoodles-Snickerdoodles"></param><embed src="http://www.instructables.com/static/flash/viewer.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="425" height="525" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" wmode="transparent" FlashVars="title=Sneakerdoodles-Snickerdoodles" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></object>

Guest snellma

Pineapple Tarts

6 c. flour

1 Tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 c. shortening (crisco)

1 pkg. yeast

1 c. milk

3 eggs.

Mix flour and shortening with pastry cutter.  Warm milk to 114 - 120 degrees. and then add yeast

and sugar.  When yeast has bubbled, add eggs and salt.  Add this liquid mixture to flour mixture.  Knead till smooth.  Divide into 4 balls and wrap each in saran wrap.  Refrigerate over night and freeze what you aren't going to  use for later.

Take a ball out of refrigerator and roll in granulated sugar.  Enough sugar so the dough doesn't stick.  My counter looks white before I put the dough down to roll out.  Using a 2  1/2 in. circular cookie cutter (or a small upside down glass if you don't have a cookie cutter) make your cuts.  Reroll scraps.  You should end up with about 3 - 4 doz. circles.

Filling

1 can crushed pineapple - do not drain

2 Tbsp. cornstarch or flour whatever you prefer - I use cornstarch

1 c. sugar

Mix in a small bowl.  The lady who gave me this recipe just took the pineapple out with her hands.  I use a small strainer slightly above all the juice in which to grab a small amt. of pineapple.  The pineapple is placed in the middle of each circle.  Do only 1 at a time. The dough is folded over the pineapple and pinched around the open edges to seal.  You must work fast as the juices comes out.  Then I turn the tart over in granulated sugar and place it on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15 min. or until golden.  These will stick if you don't immediately take them off the cookie sheet.  You must also put the empty cookie sheet immediately in hot water as the juice that leaks out bakes on.  I have started spraying the cookie sheet before I bake them as I find it easier to take the cookies off the pan and clean it.  But the original recipe does not call for this. This is a time consuming recipe but I feel it is worth the time that is why I bake only 1 ball at a time.  It is best to store cookies in an unwrapped foil pan.  If you cover these cookies, they will absorb the juice and get soft.  They get soft in a couple of days anyway.  I think you humidity takes its toll faster.

Guest snellma

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 c. shortening

1 c. sugar

1 egg

1 c. (8 oz.) sour cream

2 tsp. orange extract

4 c. flour

1 1/2 tsp. B. S.

1/4 tsp. salt

grated rine from 1 orange

In a lg. mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in the egg, sour cream and orange extract.  Combine the flour, B.S. and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture with orange peel and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr. or until easy to handle.  Due to your climate you might have to add a little more flour.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 in. thickness.  ( Thicker cookies are softer, thinner are more crunchy so roll how thick you like; mine are thicker than 1/4 in.)  Cut with a floured cookie cutter.  Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets lightly coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 min. or until set.  Cool for 1 min. and remove to wire rack.

For frosting,  I don't measure I just pour powdered sugar in a bowl add about 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 tsp. orange extract, and enough milk to make a spreadable icing.  Add color of your choice and ice and decorate however you wish.

Guest snellma

Thumbprints

1/4 c. butter, softened

1/4 c. shortening

3/4 c. sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. van. extract

2 2/3 c. flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. B.S.

1/4 tsp. B.P.

1/2 c. sour cream

3/4 c. finely chopped nuts

jam of your choice

In a lg. bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in egg and van.

Combine the flour, salt, B.P. and B.S; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition.  Shape into 1 - 1/4 in. balls; roll in nuts.

Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.  Using the end of a wooden spoon handle (or you thumb)

and make an indentation about 1/2 in. deep in the center of each ball.  Fill with jam or jelly.  I used homemade strawberry and homemade seedless red raspberry in mine.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 min. or until lightly browned.  Remove to racks.

• 10 months later...

I attatched a picture because these weren't what I thought they were

Chocolate Meltaways

18 Servings Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

1/4 cup milk

1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup baking cocoa

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

18 large marshmallows, halved

FROSTING:

3 tablespoons butter, softened

3 cups confectioners' sugar

3 tablespoons baking cocoa

1/8 teaspoon salt

4 to 6 tablespoons milk

Directions

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350

exps12474_rds1339622d21b_6817.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a recipe for a cookie I had at my church a couple weekends ago.

It was round and covered with powdered sugar and had a chocolate kiss or ball center.  It was so good.

I want to make it.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have the recipe?

I have homemade brownies in the oven as we speak!!! Ive never made them from scratch so i hope they turn out...

2 chocolate bars

1 cup flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup butter

1 1/2 tsp vinilla extract

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

pre-heat oven to 350

melt butter and chocolate, add the rest of the the stuff

throw it in a buttered pan

cook 25-30 mins.

We'll see how they turn out...

This is not a cookie so please forgive me but I saw this on Live with Regis and Kelly this morning, it was the first that I had ever heard of it, but it looked so good. I found a recipe online.   It is a Crack Pie and here is the recipe.  The one on the show this morning looked like they sprinkled powder sugar on it after it was baked.

Ingredients

1 9" unbaked pie shell

1 cup granulated sugar

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1 tablespoon fine cornmeal

5 eggs

1/3 cup whipping cream

1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)

1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

1/2 cup melted butter

Directions

Combine granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and corn meal.

Beat in eggs one at a time.

Stir in whipping cream, cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and melted butter.

Pour into unbaked pie shell.

Bake on middle rack at 400 F for 10 minutes. (this helps create the CRACK)

Lower heat to 325 F and continue baking for 45 minutes more.

My brownies are done. They are good!!! YUM    they taste a bit like a brown sugar poptart, but not too bad at all for my first time making it.. I was out of chocolate so i swiped a chocolate santa from the kids stocking (i know, shame on you Juie).. and added a litle coca to it..

My wife made this for the Christmas party for work. She made 2 of them  they're sooooooo good

Raspberry Cheesecake Cookie Pizza

3/4 cup butter or margarine

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1 egg yolk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

1 egg

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

1/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves

1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Beat the butter or margarine in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the 3/4 cup sugar and beat until combined. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon. Spread dough in a lightly greased 12- or 13-inch pizza pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until golden.

Meanwhile, beat together cream cheese, 1 egg and the 1 tablespoon sugar until smooth. Spread over hot crust to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Dollop reserve on top. With a knife, carefully swirl preserve to marble. Sprinkle with almond. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until filling is set.

Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut in wedges. Store in refrigerator.

Yields 12 to 16 servings.

I'm looking for a recipe for a cookie I had at my church a couple weekends ago.

It was round and covered with powdered sugar and had a chocolate kiss or ball center.  It was so good.

I want to make it.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about or have the recipe?

Hey I think I found what you mean.. I found it on the hershey kisses package! :)

Hershey