GoDuBois.com

Kitten worms

QuickDraw

We recently adopted a kitten. He is about 8 weeks old. The girl who gave it to us said her vet had wormed it. (Which I do believe!). My question is.....how long does it take for worm meds to take effect? We have noticed a few little rice looking pieces by his tail. (I only noticed this an hour ago. Let me just say.....gag. ) Does this mean that the medicine is working? He has his own litter box, so my other two are not using the same box. I have an appointment this week with the vet, but I am a little freaked out. Any advice from cat owners out there? Thanks!

I would call your vet & tell him/her what you told us & see if you can give him some wormer med.

if you cant get should of your vet, I would weigh him & give him the proper amount of wormer med. Also remember to take a stool sample with you

It's a little pricey but Revolution flea/worm drops are IMO the best on the market. Our cat had worms at about one year old and after the worm medicine from the vet we started using the drops and she hasn't had worms since. She has been a house cat since she was a kitten and has never been outside. I asked the vet how she could have gotten worms being a house cat and she said they could come from the potting soil in your house plants, come in on dirt on your shoes/cloths if you're around other cats that have worms, or even flies.

Nikon-I wonder if drops would be too much for him after he had the meds on Tuesday? He is right around two pounds. Just a teeny little thing. Thanks!

Revolution has the flea/worm drops for kittens 0 to 5 pounds. I would check with the vet before you use them to make sure there are no issues with the meds it was just given.

Unless someone else knows where they sell Revolution locally other than a vets office I have never been able to find it in any area stores or pet stores between Dubois and Indiana. 

One round of deworming is usually not enough.  You will have to do it atleast twice if not three times (with a couple weeks in between) in order to completely deworm. The original deworm only lets go of the "host" worms....the larvae in migration are normally not killed by most products and will need to be taken care of again.

As for the "rice" looking things:

Life cycle of the tapeworm and how cats become infected with tapeworms:

The tapeworm needs two 'hosts' to complete their life cycle. First is the intermediate host (the flea or rodent), which passes the larval stage of the tapeworm around, and the final host (your cat), where the larvae develops into an adult tapeworm.  Once the tapeworm reaches maturity (in around 2 - 3 weeks), proglottids, (which now contain up to 20 eggs), break off and leave the body via the feces or crawl out of the anus. Proglottids have the appearance of rice grains and are motile (capable of movement). Once outside the body, the proglottids dry out, releasing the eggs (which have the appearance of sesame seeds). Eggs are then eaten by flea larvae or accidentally ingested by a rodent and so the cycle begins once again.

- See more at: http://www.cat-world.com.au/tapeworms-in-cats#sthash.J2CukrtA.dpuf

my Minnie had a horrible reaction to Revolution, be careful with that stuff. She now can't tolerate any topical or collars that are not all natural. The shelter put Revolution on her before we took her home and within an hour she was vomiting profusely, ended up having to bathe her in Dawn (recommended by vet) to get that Revolution drops off her. Called the shelter and was told 8 pups that were treated (including the other 3 from her litter) had bad reactions, not sure if it was the lot or just some are more sensitive than others. Good luck!