GoDuBois.com

Mildew Odor in Front Loader Washer

Shmoopie11

Got rid of the front loader and the liquid Tide. Bought a high efficiency top loader about 2 years ago that drains completely and that can have the lid left completely open. I haven't had any more issues since. Our old front loader was a mold and mildew nightmare. The clothing even started coming out smelly funny, so I decided I wasn't putting any more money into fixing the junky thing.

mine is a top loader and I still have a gunky stinky smell after all of the above;  it is not the tub;  it is the space between the tub and the outside wall, filled with brown junk looks like disintegrated cardboard when it flops around and throws it into the tub...ewwwwww

Got rid of the front loader and the liquid Tide. Bought a high efficiency top loader about 2 years ago that drains completely and that can have the lid left completely open. I haven't had any more issues since. Our old front loader was a mold and mildew nightmare. The clothing even started coming out smelly funny, so I decided I wasn't putting any more money into fixing the junky thing.

Got the same  thing last summer to replace my set of 21 years old. I love this high efficiency washer and I bought the dryer with energy feature...what a great set...noticeable drop in power bill and water bill.

mine is a top loader and I still have a gunky stinky smell after all of the above;  it is not the tub;  it is the space between the tub and the outside wall, filled with brown junk looks like disintegrated cardboard when it flops around and throws it into the tub...ewwwwww

Sounds like there's a build up of "sludge" from liquid detergents. I'd try running baking soda and white vinegar through it with hot water and see if you can get it dissolved. This article talks about front loaders, but it should work on top loaders too. And if you are using a liquid detergent, throw it away and only use powders. That has made the world of difference for us. http://www.ecokaren.com/2009/06/front-loading-washer-maintenance/