GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

weedville, byrnedale, force... way north of where you are in big run(just read where you said you lived in th e garden forum!) a little far to get soap, I think.  Somewhere at the beginning of this thread, there was a place to order the fels online, it was even grated! Maybe that would help you find it.  It is the best detergent I have ever used and would hate to go back to the old stuff now...

I think I'll just stick with the Kirk's Castile soap since it's working good for us. At $2.89 for 12 oz. I don't think that is too bad a price.

Bought my ingred. and made soap last night... I paid $3.79 I think for Borax at Walmart in St. Mary's, the only 1 of the 3 ingred. they had. Went to Bilo in St. Mary's, they had Borax for $4 something... along with soda for $2.75 & soap $1.75/ one bar.

I've done 3 loads of laundry with the homemade liquid detergent and, yes the whites are brighter.  It works great. I was also concerned about the lack of suds, but it really makes absolutly no difference at all.  I thought suds=clean, but that's not the case.

I've done 3 loads of laundry with the homemade liquid detergent and, yes the whites are brighter.  It works great. I was also concerned about the lack of suds, but it really makes absolutly no difference at all.  I thought suds=clean, but that's not the case.

Right, suds have nothing to do with the cleaning, it is the ingredients in the soap.

I've had a rash on my lower shin off and on all winter where the top of my sock band is tight.  Once I started using this...gone!

I even used sensitive skin Arm & Hammer and then I used less and less of it.  

With the home made stuff I've used the full cup and I realize now how stained my uniform shirt was.  It's SO clean now.

I've done 4 loads with the powdered version I made yesterday and I love it. Now it's being put to the real test with my hubbys work clothes. Everyone that I tell about it wants some now. I told them that everyone is getting some as gifts for special occasions.  LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Got this from a friend...

Thought of you the other day. Went to a County class on how to certify your own septic system. Instructor talked about people making their own detergents.

Best Wishes,

MT

And I asked him what they said about the home made detergents....

Actually they said low foam soaps were good. The guy also favored liquid over dry.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got my five gallon bucket.  At the paint department at Lowes a nice white one with a good handle is on sale for $2.78!

Back the isle a little ways you can get a matching lid for a dollar something.

Hubby is grating the Fells Naptha as I type....lol!

My laundry soap just ran out on April 2nd!  From being made on February 21st.  And it cost less than three dollars to make. We made another one the very next day.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the homemade liquid detergent.  I ran out, and haven`t used it for 2 weeks. I notice that the clothes seem not as clean with the store bought detergent.  I need to make some more, but my Mom is in the hospital, and I have been running there alot.  

How does the homemade laundry soap affect the color in clothing?   Have you seen any fading?  

If anything, I have noticed that clothes that looked duller before, brightened back up more after going on the home brew.  I think it rinses cleaner.

Its just the best darn stuff eh?

If anything, I have noticed that clothes that looked duller before, brightened back up more after going on the home brew.  I think it rinses cleaner.

Its just the best darn stuff eh?

Kitty, I thank you every day!

Love this stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Tracy96

I read through all the posts and didn't see what I was looking for but I did notice that some of you have an HE washer.  Well I just ordered a LG HE front load washer and wanted to know if you use the powdered version in yours or the liquid version?  I love the liquid version and use it all the time in my current washer.  I tried the powdered version and noticed small specks on some of the laundry afterwards.  I think it's b/c I wash all my laundry in cold water.  The store employee said that liquids ruin HE machines b/c they are made with animal fats.  I know that the soda and borax are safe but am wondering about the fels nap soap?  Anyone know????

I am so excited about my new washer.  Can't wait until it comes in.  It is a 4.2 cf LG and it has a generator to produce some of it's own electric.  It exceeds the energy saver requirements by over 37%:woo:  Here's the info on it but I didn't buy it from this store.  This will save us a lot of money with my usual laundry being between 14-16 loads per week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9283429&st=lg+washers&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1218074326277

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9283429&productId=1218074326277&viewtype=energyGuide&count=0&h=387

We discovered original hardwood floors in this house....with nothing to lose, I decided to scrub the floors with a little bit of the laundry soap in a bucket of warm water. They turned out GREAT!! We are still going to have to sand and seal them, but WOW what a difference!! Wonder what else I can use this stuff on? lol :woo::cheer::woo::cheer:

Guest marbek

I have a couple of recipes from another forum that a lot of people use. If you are not into or worried about using soap then one of these may be right for you. I have a frontload HE washer and have been using the one with soap since last year, but I will be trying the first one next time I need to make some. I've never had any problems with the one using soap except that we couldn't use Fels Naptha so instead we changed to Kirk's Castile.

2 Cups Borax

2 Cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

1 Cup Baking Soda [for hard water if clothes seem "dingy"]

-- and --

2 Cups Borax

2 Cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

1 Cup laundry booster [such as Oxy Clean]

Use 1 Tbsp. for regular loads. Use 1-1/2 Tbsp. for heavily soiled loads.