GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

• 3 months later...

How is it on really dirty, football, baseball, playing in the dirt clothes.  I also have a terrible problem with stains in the armpit areas (white tee shirts)  I have a heck of a time getting these out.  Even with bleaching.  

Peroxide sprayed onto the stain will help. I now use it everytime I was white Tee shirts. Just the bleach didn't work for us either.

• 6 months later...
Guest snellma

Just starting to make my own homemade soap (see new thread) and will be using that in my detergent which I am also still using.

Thanks for the tip on peroxide.  I haven't been on here in quite some time so was glad to see that.

• 8 months later...

A good while back, someone mentioned a soap called ZOTE from Mexico.  Well, I found it at Savealot, and bought two bars.  Right off the bat when I opened it, I didn't like it, its too soft to shred in the food processor without gunking up.  Two, when I started melting it down to make the liquid detergent, I noticed a distinct "tarrow" smell.  That usually indicates an animal fat present. There is a 'tarrowate' listed as an ingredient, so its possible, that this isn't exactly vegan friendly soap.  ALSO, it doesn't melt well at all, and when I mixed it in the bucket it all clumped up into sticky, gooey chunks, that I had to skin off.  Its HORRIBLE.  

I'll stick with Fels.  I like the smell better, and so much easier to use.

If anyone seriously does like this soap, I have one bar left, and I'll give it away.  I have no intention of using it.

• Administrators

How did u grate the Fels, with a cheese grater?

That's what we used. You want to use the medium grate side, you don't want them too large and if you try the smallest grate size it will take you hours instead of minutes.  :)

Guest marbek

Not sure if this "recipe" is listed here [not reading them all.] It's a new one I saw the other day, and makes a very large amount of it.

4lb 12oz -- Borax

3lb 7oz -- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

3lb -- OxyCleanurex Crystals

14.1 oz -- Fels Naptha bar soap

4lb -- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

1 or 2* 55oz bottles -- Dry fabric softener [Purex Crystals used by recipe poster]

*Depends on how much sent and softening you prefer/need.

They recommend letting the grated soap dry for 2 or 3 days on foil lined baking sheets. Once dried they put it in a blender to make into a powder.

• 2 months later...
Guest snellma

I use a cheese grater so its like pizza cheese, then process the soap shreds and the powders in the food processor to a nice powder, like Tide or Gain would be right outta the box :)

That is exactly how I do it too.  The grated is just a little too big.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if this "recipe" is listed here [not reading them all.] It's a new one I saw the other day, and makes a very large amount of it.

4lb 12oz -- Borax

3lb 7oz -- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

3lb -- OxyCleanurex Crystals

14.1 oz -- Fels Naptha bar soap

4lb -- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

1 or 2* 55oz bottles -- Dry fabric softener [Purex Crystals used by recipe poster]

*Depends on how much sent and softening you prefer/need.

They recommend letting the grated soap dry for 2 or 3 days on foil lined baking sheets. Once dried they put it in a blender to make into a powder.

I recently made this one and added a bottle of the Downy scent booster. I think I can live with this recipe. The oxy clean really helps with the boy smell.

Glad this got bumped up.One of the first things I did was make laundry detergent when I joined here. Haven't done it for awhile, but think I will when I get mine used up, but the Sears powder is good and lasts for a long time.

Another thing that fools you is the 2 liter bottles of pop. Sometimes I see the 1.5  and think it's 2 liters and a good price, but  not. And toilet paper doesn't fill the holder anymore either, like it used to. it's about 1/2 inch shorter.

The powder version I would say is VERY easy, the liquid version takes a little more doing.....tell you what...I'll post both...

The Liquid version will do about 80 loads.

You need:

1 bar of Fels Naptha Soap grated.

1 cup A&H Washing Soda

1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax.

Place grated soap in a pot.

Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all soap is melted, stirring occasionally.

Pour into 5 gallon bucket.

Add washing soda and borax.

Add enough hot water to fill the bucket.

Stir (I use a long measuring stick, but any long stick will work)

Let sit overnight to gel.

Use 1 cup per load.

You can pour this into old detergent containers or leave in the bucket.

Cover with a lid if leaving in the bucket to protect children and pets.

The powder version:

2/3 bar of Fels Naptha grated fine.  ( I use the whole bar though)

1 cup of A&H washing soda

1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax

Put in a container that will hold 2 cups of laundry detergent. Shake, or stir well, and store in closed container.

Now, the best part:  use only 1 tablespoon per load.  OR, use a scoop from an old box of powder, you won't get as many loads, no, but a lot of folks like those handy little scoops.

These soaps are very low sudsing, so they are perfect for front loaders.   I use them in my HE machine, but I put the soap directly into the washer drum before loading clothes.  I don't like powder soap in the dispenser, its always leaves a little cakey mess!

Cost:

* 20 Mule Team Borax: $2.50 for 70 oz. - Cost per batch: .14 (4 oz needed for recipe)

* Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda: $2.50 for 55 oz. Cost per batch .18.(4 oz needed for recipe)

* Fels Naphtha: $1.24 per bar. Cost per batch: .83 (2/3 bar of soap needed for recipe) *

One tablespoon of detergent is sufficient per load of wash. If you have a high-efficiency machine, you might want to experiment with using a little less detergent for normal loads. If your clothes come out feeling stiff, lower the amount of detergent. For clothes that are heavily soiled, add a teaspoon more of the detergent..

The powder version makes 2 cups.  If you stick to the 1 tablespoon per load, you get 32 loads.  

I use this and love it, its very fresh smelling, and works great.

I use a drywall mud mixer in my cordless to mix it up.

We use the powdered, but I found a few times where not everything dissolved in warm water. So I keep a mason jar with a plastic lid handy. I put the teaspoon of homemade laundry soap into the jar, hold the jar beneath the water running into the washing machine, get it half full, put on the lid, and shake the bejabers out of it, then pour it in, rinse out the jar and put it back on the shelf. Works fine. Soap also dissolves OK in hot water without that fussing. I don't use the homemade stuff on cold-water washing stuff (black slacks, etc.) because I don't want any residue. Woolite works well enough there, and I don't do that many loads.