GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
picksbughfan

Laundry Soap.........

Guest snellma

The baking soda seemed to work for the smell so I am still using the homemade.

I read through all the posts and didn't see what I was looking for but I did notice that some of you have an HE washer.  Well I just ordered a LG HE front load washer and wanted to know if you use the powdered version in yours or the liquid version?  I love the liquid version and use it all the time in my current washer.  I tried the powdered version and noticed small specks on some of the laundry afterwards.  I think it's b/c I wash all my laundry in cold water.  The store employee said that liquids ruin HE machines b/c they are made with animal fats.  I know that the soda and borax are safe but am wondering about the fels nap soap?  Anyone know????

I am so excited about my new washer.  Can't wait until it comes in.  It is a 4.2 cf LG and it has a generator to produce some of it's own electric.  It exceeds the energy saver requirements by over 37%:woo:  Here's the info on it but I didn't buy it from this store.  This will save us a lot of money with my usual laundry being between 14-16 loads per week.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9283429&st=lg+washers&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=1218074326277

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat13506&type=page&skuId=9283429&productId=1218074326277&viewtype=energyGuide&count=0&h=387

Here is the laundry soap thread.

Shop local!

Just a little off topic-hope you don't mind, what were those washcloth type things you could put in the wash over and over?  We had one and it turned brown by the time I stopped using it.  Actually, my husband at the time was bedfast, and his aide started using it as a washcloth.  I tried not to laugh.  Are those still around or what are they called to order online?  I cannot stand long times to look.  Thanks.

Just wanted to say, that it has been two years since this thread has started and I am still making the laundry soap.  It drives me crazy when I see the prices of laundry detergent when it can be made for pennies!  

YLEO Independent Distributor

Just wanted to say, that it has been two years since this thread has started and I am still making the laundry soap.  It drives me crazy when I see the prices of laundry detergent when it can be made for pennies!  

That made me chuckle, I too noticed that this thread started two years ago.  I used to make my own

detergent but with my front loading washer I bought a box of powdered detergent that cost about $25.  

Now I know that $25 will make a lot of home made detergent but I use it a tablespoon at a time and I

think it will last me for about three years at the rate I'm going.   It will probably outlast the new washer if

it doesn't stop shaking so much.

That made me chuckle, I too noticed that this thread started two years ago.  I used to make my own

detergent but with my front loading washer I bought a box of powdered detergent that cost about $25.  

Now I know that $25 will make a lot of home made detergent but I use it a tablespoon at a time and I

think it will last me for about three years at the rate I'm going.   It will probably outlast the new washer if

it doesn't stop shaking so much.

That's what I'm doing now.  At Sears it's $19.99 and in four or five months I've barely made a dent.

Shop local!

I am having trouble finding the Fels Naptha bars lately. I used to get mine at Bi Lo. ): Any suggestions??

County Market in Punxsutawney has it.

At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual. ;)

How is it on really dirty, football, baseball, playing in the dirt clothes.  I also have a terrible problem with stains in the armpit areas (white tee shirts)  I have a heck of a time getting these out.  Even with bleaching.  

Peroxide sprayed onto the stain will help. I now use it everytime I was white Tee shirts. Just the bleach didn't work for us either.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Guest snellma

Just starting to make my own homemade soap (see new thread) and will be using that in my detergent which I am also still using.

Thanks for the tip on peroxide.  I haven't been on here in quite some time so was glad to see that.

White vinegar also works great on stains.

Just got a new front load washer, I checked my stockpile of laundry soap & it all says it is safe for HE machines. So don't get fooled into thinking you have to buy one brand.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

A good while back, someone mentioned a soap called ZOTE from Mexico.  Well, I found it at Savealot, and bought two bars.  Right off the bat when I opened it, I didn't like it, its too soft to shred in the food processor without gunking up.  Two, when I started melting it down to make the liquid detergent, I noticed a distinct "tarrow" smell.  That usually indicates an animal fat present. There is a 'tarrowate' listed as an ingredient, so its possible, that this isn't exactly vegan friendly soap.  ALSO, it doesn't melt well at all, and when I mixed it in the bucket it all clumped up into sticky, gooey chunks, that I had to skin off.  Its HORRIBLE.  

I'll stick with Fels.  I like the smell better, and so much easier to use.

If anyone seriously does like this soap, I have one bar left, and I'll give it away.  I have no intention of using it.

"To sin by silence when one should protest, makes cowards of men." --Ella Wheeler Wilcox

I use a cheese grater so its like pizza cheese, then process the soap shreds and the powders in the food processor to a nice powder, like Tide or Gain would be right outta the box :)

"To sin by silence when one should protest, makes cowards of men." --Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Guest marbek

Not sure if this "recipe" is listed here [not reading them all.] It's a new one I saw the other day, and makes a very large amount of it.

4lb 12oz -- Borax

3lb 7oz -- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

3lb -- OxyCleanurex Crystals

14.1 oz -- Fels Naptha bar soap

4lb -- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

1 or 2* 55oz bottles -- Dry fabric softener [Purex Crystals used by recipe poster]

*Depends on how much sent and softening you prefer/need.

They recommend letting the grated soap dry for 2 or 3 days on foil lined baking sheets. Once dried they put it in a blender to make into a powder.

Guest snellma

I use a cheese grater so its like pizza cheese, then process the soap shreds and the powders in the food processor to a nice powder, like Tide or Gain would be right outta the box :)

That is exactly how I do it too.  The grated is just a little too big.

Not sure if this "recipe" is listed here [not reading them all.] It's a new one I saw the other day, and makes a very large amount of it.

4lb 12oz -- Borax

3lb 7oz -- Arm & Hammer Washing Soda

3lb -- OxyCleanurex Crystals

14.1 oz -- Fels Naptha bar soap

4lb -- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda

1 or 2* 55oz bottles -- Dry fabric softener [Purex Crystals used by recipe poster]

*Depends on how much sent and softening you prefer/need.

They recommend letting the grated soap dry for 2 or 3 days on foil lined baking sheets. Once dried they put it in a blender to make into a powder.

I recently made this one and added a bottle of the Downy scent booster. I think I can live with this recipe. The oxy clean really helps with the boy smell.