GoDuBois.com

Laundry Soap.........

picksbughfan

The Liquid version will do about 80 loads.

You need:

1 bar of Fels Naptha Soap grated.

1 cup A&H Washing Soda

1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax.

Place grated soap in a pot.

Cover with water and simmer over medium heat until all soap is melted, stirring occasionally.

Pour into 5 gallon bucket.

Add washing soda and borax.

Add enough hot water to fill the bucket.

Stir (I use a long measuring stick, but any long stick will work)

Let sit overnight to gel.

Use 1 cup per load.

You can pour this into old detergent containers or leave in the bucket.

Cover with a lid if leaving in the bucket to protect children and pets.

I am so late in reading this! I really want to try the liquid version. When you say to put the grated fels in a pot and cover with water, it is just to cover or a specific amount? Thank you so much for the great recipe!

Now, I have to find a 5 gallon container, lol!

I made 5 batch's of the laundry detergent today!  I just washed a load of towels and didn't use Downey.  I was curious as how the towels would smell just using this 1 Tbls. of dry detergent.   I'm impressed!!!!  I'm also making the dishwasher stuff tomorrow.

• Administrators
I made 5 batch's of the laundry detergent today!  I just washed a load of towels and didn't use Downey.  I was curious as how the towels would smell just using this 1 Tbls. of dry detergent.   I'm impressed!!!!  I'm also making the dishwasher stuff tomorrow.

Kiwi, If you need more dirty towels to test, I'll have Lisa drop some off tomorrow.  :hi:

Lisa did made the dry detergent and she likes it a lot. :clap:

Hey Steve.....have her drop them off!  If I could make a living out of doing laundry, I would.  I love to do laundry.  You might say I have a "fetish" about clean clothes!!!:b1:

Guest snellma

Probably anyone who has a cat will have a litter bucket.

I am so late in reading this! I really want to try the liquid version. When you say to put the grated fels in a pot and cover with water, it is just to cover or a specific amount? Thank you so much for the great recipe!

Just cover to top of soap, like maybe an inch above the top of the soap......

I've got a couple others to post, I'm now making my own bath and body soaps too!

Oh and by the way, did ya all know you buy Fels Naptha 'pre-grated' on line?  Yup.  

http://www.soapsgonebuy.com/category_s/2.htm

I'm sure there are  other sites that have the pre grated Fels, but if you don't want to bust a knuckle.......Me I don't mind, I use the cheese grater, its good exercise!

• 3 weeks later...

I made this a few days ago and ran a few loads of laundry.  WOW!  The clothes look bright and clean - a lot better than the brand name stuff!  Thanks for the recipe for this.  With the store bought stuff, every few loads we'd get the "suds" alert and have to start the entire wash cycle over.  I haven't had that issue with this recipe, and the clothes look a lot better too!  

• 2 weeks later...

Kittymommy, thank you so much for sharing your soap recipe! I just got my front loaders last week and made the soap, and I LOVE it! I've always used liquid soap, but I thought that I'd try the powdered. And as it turns out, powder is recommended for the front loaders. I'll never go back to the others, this soap is great, thanks again!

I also made this soap and it works great!!! ( I made the powder.)  I have a front load washer and when I had the repair man here he said powders were better for a front load washer.  Have you noticed in the store it is mostly liquids now.  Thanks so much for the recipe.

I'm still using the first batch I made (which was 5 batches) and am going on 70 + loads.  Have enough to make 2 more batches when I get 2 more bars of Naptha.  My total cost will be $12 and I'm sure I will have well over 110 loads by that time.  Won't use anything else unless I am in an emergency.  Am planning on trying to add some fragerance the next time.

Still had more Borax left over from the laundry batch but am using that in the litter box.

• Administrators

I noticed a few of you that have front loaders and have used the homemade laundry detergent .. are you still using it and do you like it? Thanks in advance..

We have a front loader and Lisa really likes using the homemade laundry stuff.

We've been using it for over a month.

If you have any questions give me a call.

I noticed a few of you that have front loaders and have used the homemade laundry detergent .. are you still using it and do you like it? Thanks in advance..

We have been using it in our front-loader as well (the liquid) and we love it.

Guest steelergirl

well, i am itching to make this, but all i can find is the borax.  maybe i am looking in the wrong departments?  could any of you kindly point me in the right direction to find the fels naptha, and the washing soda?  it would be much appreciated!

Thanks for sharing this recipe!  I'll never use store bought laundry detergent again!  I made the liquid version.  I found the Fels Naptha in the soap isle at County Market in Punxy.  I found the borax and A&H at walmart but they didn't have the naptha.  

I have a question though, is the top of the detergent supposed to form a shell on it?  Mine didn't gel either.  I'm still using it and it is working great!  It took a long time to melt down the soap.  I might try the powder recipe next.  I'm sure it will be awhile before I get all the liquid used.  This saves me tons of money since I do approx 16 loads of laundry in one week!

I have a Whirlpool Duet HE, and use the home brew in it exclusively.  Not one SUD error with home brew.  If I have to use commercially produced product, even HE types, I get SUD errors!!!

I'm glad you all like the stuff.  So easy to make, easy on the environment, your washer, and your wallet!!!

There's tons of recipes for home cleaning items, that are easy on the budget and Mother Earth.  

I got this one from a friend in Alaska, (the home brew laundry powder or liquid), and its all over the net now.  I mean all over!!! LOL!  Not sure who really started it, but its great stuff!!!

• 2 months later...

Kittymommy - I am sorry this is posted so late.. but I have tons of recipes for bath and body products.  I can share them with you - I make body melts, whipped body butter, foot scrub, body scrub etc.. just let me know.

That's sounds wonderful to me,  the foot scrub would be good for the winter months. :)

Brown Sugar Body Scrub

2/3 Cup Brown sugar - packed

1/3 C almond oil - can also use Extra Virgin olive Oil

1/2 Tsp Vitamin E (can get the capsules and break open)

mix up in a glass bowl - can add fragrance oil - if its body safe

divide into jars and seal till used.

Let me find the foot scrub - its similar to this.