GoDuBois.com

Dawn Dish Liquid

steelnut

Question, I thought that I read somewhere that the original Dawn was great to use on tub/shower walls?

One of our bathrooms has the old bath tub and shower surround. I hate it and especially scrubbing it. I've tried to talk hubby into re-doing the whole thing and tiling it. It would cost a lot because when the house was built, they built the surround in, so everything would have to be gutted. So for now, it'll have to wait for a year or two.

Does anyone know about the Dawn cleaning method? I'm wondering if you just put a coat of it on and let it sit for a while??

• Administrators

ICE PACK. Partially fill a strong zip-type sandwich bag with Dawn dishwashing liquid, close and freeze. Just to be safe, double bag it. Freeze. The liquid soap stays cold much longer and it can be re-frozen many times. It will conform to the place you need an ice pack.

BUBBLE PARTY. Combine ten parts distilled water and one part Dawn Dishwashing Liquid to make your own bubble solution. And add 1/4 part white corn syrup (like Karo ) if you want to make more sturdy bubbles. Gather up things like clean soup cans that have both ends cut off or Hula-Hoops with makeshift handles attached. If you want to, you can pour the solution into a plastic kiddy pool and make huge bubbles. Turn it into a scientific experiment and go on a hunt for bubble-making items in your kitchen. This is a super cheap idea that's lots of fun.

HAND DEGREASER. Forget those pricey automotive hand cleaners.

Full strength blue Dawn Dishwashing Liquid cuts through grease and gets hands and nails clean with no harsh chemicals.

Add a quarter cup of Blue Dawn to your next tub bath, for a really Clean feeling. Makes great Bubble Bath too!

CLEAN AUTOMOTIVE TOOLS. Soak them in a solution of Dawn dishwashing liquid before you put them away to remove all the oil and grime. As a bonus Dawn will help prevent rust from forming on the tools.

MANICURE SECRET. Soak fingers in full-strength blue Dawn. It makes the cuticles soft and easy to work with. And it removes the natural oil from the fingernails, which allows the polish to adhere very well.

REPEL ANTS. Spray counter-tops, cupboards and any other area where you see ants with a solution of Dawn and water. Wipe dry. The slight residue of Dawn that remains will not be a problem at all for kids or pets, but ants hate it. Should you see a trail of ants, go ahead and hit them with the Dawn spray. You'll see. It will kill them.

BATHROOM CLEANER. Original blue Dawn Dishwashing Liquid has some kind of miraculous quality about it that makes it "melt" through stubborn soap scum and hideous build-up on showers and tubs, no matter whether porcelain, acrylic or fiberglass.

Use it straight up and you'll bless the day you read this column.

HAIR PRODUCT BUILDUP. Once a month use original Dawn as you would shampoo. It will remove excess oil from your hair and scalp and strip away any build-up of styling products without any damage. Perform this once a month and you won't have to buy expensive salon products that do the same thing

STAIN SPOTTER. Original blue Dawn Dishwashing Liquid used full-strength gets just about any kind of spot out of washables. Keep a small squeeze bottle in the laundry room so it's always handy.

BONUS: Dawn Dishwashing Liquid is biodegradable, while other chemical solvents may not be.

DOUBLE BONUS from Maggie:

Ever had a CD so scratched up it could no longer be used?

Try some Dawn Dishwashing Liquid on it, gently working it into the grooves with your fingers, and then rinse completely with clear water. Dry gently with a soft cloth. Voila! Repaired and usable CD!!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest Jpwest87

The original blue DAWN makes a great, easy, inexpensive fly spray for horses too!! I make and use it all summer for WAYYYYY less then a fraction of what the other store bought stuff costs.

Equal parts:

Dawn ( the original blue stuff only, not the concentrated, or extra stuff..)

Apple Cider Vinegar

Water

Put it all in a large spray bottle and there ya go! It doesn't smell so sweet, but if you just want to repel those nasty flys while your horses are out in the pasture, you can make this all summer for very little cash.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

I have used Dawn for dog shampoo for a long time now, it kills fleas and leaves your dog smelling the the way a dog hates, clean!!! Just be sure to rinse completely as it can irritate their skin.

I use Dawn also my groomer told me to use it.  works wonderful.:c49:

The original blue DAWN makes a great, easy, inexpensive fly spray for horses too!! I make and use it all summer for WAYYYYY less then a fraction of what the other store bought stuff costs.

Equal parts:

Dawn ( the original blue stuff only, not the concentrated, or extra stuff..)

Apple Cider Vinegar

Water

Put it all in a large spray bottle and there ya go! It doesn't smell so sweet, but if you just want to repel those nasty flys while your horses are out in the pasture, you can make this all summer for very little cash.

THANK YOU! Good fly spray isn't cheap!

As for bathing dogs, I use it as a prewash. It gets rid of the grit and grime and the smell of the shampoo lasts longer. For the clients that come in every 4 weeks or less, I do tend to use it every other time so as not to irritate their skin.

• 1 year later...

For soap scum remover, great on shower walls & tub

1 cup white vinegar, heated in microwave

about 3 squirts blue dawn dish soap

Put into a spray bottle

Spray onto tub/ shower let sit 15-30 minutes

Wipe down walls & rinse.

(This is a little pungent, so keep the kids & pets back) Add a drop or two of peppermint extract from the kitchen it helps a little.

Love this! I won't be buying anymore tilex etc.

Question, I thought that I read somewhere that the original Dawn was great to use on tub/shower walls?
One of our bathrooms has the old bath tub and shower surround. I hate it and especially scrubbing it. I've tried to talk hubby into re-doing the whole thing and tiling it. It would cost a lot because when the house was built, they built the surround in, so everything would have to be gutted. So for now, it'll have to wait for a year or two.

Does anyone know about the Dawn cleaning method? I'm wondering if you just put a coat of it on and let it sit for a while??