GoDuBois.com

Garden updates

junk

I didnt plant anything this year , Just didnt feel up to it. But Im wondering how everyone else has been doing with Tomatos, cukes and such in your gardens? With all the rain and lack of sunshine seems like it was a bad year.  What have you planted that is doing well?

I've been reading a lot about hoop house growing this past year.  The next garden will be under cloth or screening, especially broccoli.  Keeps the varmints out too.

The Master Gardeners are also going to attempt a winter garden with carrots, different greens and beets.  There will be a trial garden at the DuBois Community Garden courtesy of the BUDS Gardeners also.

Things are picking up a bit. Broccoli has developed soft rot which means few side shoots. (Keeping a jar of bleach in the garden.)  Cauliflower is OK but the heads are small. What cabbage that didn't get root rot from all the rain is doing fine. All summer squashes and cuckes are just starting to develop. Plants are a bit retarded. Kale was great and a new crop of lettuce is just starting. Got beets for the first time in 5 years. I switched types and used a different fertilizer which may have helped. Corn looks great but tomato plants are small for this time of year. Green beans are just OK but yellow beans are stunted. Eggplant and peppers are doing great which is unusual. Onions and peas are doing well. Tomantillos and winter squash are super. 

Parts of the garden just were flooded with all the rain and crops that don't like a lot of moisture weren't happy. Parts of the garden that drained better fared better. Weeds are happiest of all. 

I didn't get to plant this year :(

I have to do a raised bed because of the way our yard is and I was too slow getting it together.  On the plus side, I will have a nice area ready for next year lol.

Things are picking up a bit. Broccoli has developed soft rot which means few side shoots. (Keeping a jar of bleach in the garden.)  Cauliflower is OK but the heads are small. What cabbage that didn't get root rot from all the rain is doing fine. All summer squashes and cuckes are just starting to develop. Plants are a bit retarded. Kale was great and a new crop of lettuce is just starting. Got beets for the first time in 5 years. I switched types and used a different fertilizer which may have helped. Corn looks great but tomato plants are small for this time of year. Green beans are just OK but yellow beans are stunted. Eggplant and peppers are doing great which is unusual. Onions and peas are doing well. Tomantillos and winter squash are super. 

Parts of the garden just were flooded with all the rain and crops that don't like a lot of moisture weren't happy. Parts of the garden that drained better fared better. Weeds are happiest of all. 

lavender,,what is the purpose of that? And why has no one crossed a weed with a tomato plant? What a crop we could have! :D

Anytime I cut anything I dip the knife in the bleach so as not to carry bacteria from one plant to another. If no one is looking I toss a bit of the diluted bleach on the cut stem. No reference for the latter but what the heck. 

You do know that if you crossed a weed with a tomato plant you would get the worst of both plants and it would grow all over the yard and be impossible to get rid of. They have crossed a tomato and a potato though.  I looked up how to do it once but never tried it. One day when I get some time. 

http://downtoearthgardenclub.org/2013/12/tom-tato/

Our garden is doing great since the rain slacked off.  We removed all the yellowed leaves from the tomatoes and also sprayed with fungicide (just in case.)  Lots of nice big green tomatoes now.  Yesterday I canned my first 15 pints of yellow wax beans.  Corn will be ready for freezing soon and peppers for stuffin'.  Been eating cabbage, new red potatoes and cukes.  Cantaloupe are doing real well. 

4 x 8 bed doing well.  Almost looks like a jungle.  planted taters in a bin about 2 ft high and the plants must be almost 2 ft above that.  cukes just starting  but vines are nice, pumpkins about the same.  tomatoes well every year I say it is the last but every year I put some in and they are looking rather good right now.   zukes have blossoms but haven't seen a fruit yet

My cukes are doing really well so far. Tomato plants are getting huge and have big green tomatoes on them, none ripening yet though. My candy onions and spring onions are doing really well. My peas and beans weren't planted thick enough by my helpful grandfather and so aren't producing much. Zucchini and yellow squash are coming on strong. My pepper plants, both jalapeno and green, look sad.....

I have red tomato's already. The plants are not as bushy as they have been in the past but I have lots of fruit on them and that is all that counts. I never have had tomato's this early before and I planted about the second week of June. My potato bin is working great as far as bushy and tall potato plants. They are up to the middle of my belly and should grow to between four and five foot tall but not sure if there are any potato's on the plants though. Maybe I will take a pic of the bin I made and in a few weeks pull the bottom board off and see if that layer has any potatoes.

I built my bin with 2 x 2 and pallet slats.  just used potting soils and creek sand mixed.   like Gator my plants are tall but not sure of taters at teh bottom

I think i used something weird. Straw? Ashes? It was an experiment. Not a successful one. 

I did the same thing we had some heavy duty pallets that were being thrown away so I tore them apart and used them. I did post about this last fall or in the winter I believe about making these bins it may still be on GoDuBois I will have to look. I just filled up with mushroom compost I had left over from last year and also some soil just laying around form old flower pots etc.

The plants are around 40" tall right now as big as the corn my wife has planted. I do have to add another board on today as you can see and finish filling it up to the board you see now. I am out of soil so may have to stop here in a bit and get some more compost I think. I could just buy bags of soil but I would need a lot as this bin is 42"x42" square.

If you look you can see potato's outside  the bin that sprung up long before we planted these and they are only about 24"tall

as you can tell I hate weeds also and weeding so the upper garden with the potatoes has newspaper layers with mushroom compost on it and the lower garden the one with the tomato's has weed cloth and mushrrom compost- horse manure on it. It may be the manure or the rain is all I can figure as to why my plants are small. Althoug since I put my pipe in the ground to support them and it has been sunny they sure have perked up quite a bit.

104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

I have never had tomatoes ripe this early. Heck usually it isn't till late August /September before we do. The peppers usually are out way before the tomato's are. I am hoping my tomato's don't all ripen up before I get my peppers. I love my wife's spaghetti sauce especially when she uses the hot peppers in it.

well found the post where I said about the potato bin but the pic was gone.  I do believe I let mine grow to tall before adding more dirt and this stunts the root growth and they become stems instead so Hopefully I can get 25 pounds of potatos out of it and not the hundred or so I was hoping or maybe there will not be any or only a couple handfuls. Either way it was fun doing it.

I did find the instructions again on the web.

2002343617.gif

I did the same thing we had some heavy duty pallets that were being thrown away so I tore them apart and used them. I did post about this last fall or in the winter I believe about making these bins it may still be on GoDuBois I will have to look. I just filled up with mushroom compost I had left over from last year and also some soil just laying around form old flower pots etc.

The plants are around 40" tall right now as big as the corn my wife has planted. I do have to add another board on today as you can see and finish filling it up to the board you see now. I am out of soil so may have to stop here in a bit and get some more compost I think. I could just buy bags of soil but I would need a lot as this bin is 42"x42" square.

If you look you can see potato's outside  the bin that sprung up long before we planted these and they are only about 24"tall

as you can tell I hate weeds also and weeding so the upper garden with the potatoes has newspaper layers with mushroom compost on it and the lower garden the one with the tomato's has weed cloth and mushrrom compost- horse manure on it. It may be the manure or the rain is all I can figure as to why my plants are small. Althoug since I put my pipe in the ground to support them and it has been sunny they sure have perked up quite a bit.

Ripe Tomatos????Whats your address,,I will bring zappia bread and mayo.