GoDuBois.com

Pretty Purples

lavender

I just realized how many of my garden veggies are purple this year. Fairy Tale eggplant, purple tomantillo, Indigo Rose tomato and Russian purple kale. The purple cabbage isn't ready yet and the purple rutabagas aren't either. The Fairy Tale eggplant is only about 4-5 inches long but there are at least 10 of them on each plant and you can eat them skin and all. The flesh is creamy and delicious. Highly recommend this one. 

purple veggies.jpg

I have he a rd that the ones with more and brighter color are much more healthy for you.

Care to share or sell? ;)

The purple color is the result of anthcyanins that are antioxidents. Ordinarily I'd be delighted to throw stuff on your porch and run but the garden hasn't done particularly well for the last few year. The only thing that I have a lot of is the kale and it is probably past its prime. It might come back when the weather cools. I've not had much experience with it. And nobody is getting my eggplant! I love the stuff. 

Oh, and the tomantillos. I got tons of those. 

Do the purple tomatoes taste like the reds?  They are very pretty to look at.

I think that this particular tomato has a different taste. I don't know that the purple color is causing it or that it is just that tomato. The plant is open pollinated so the seed comes true. I only had one plant and just about a dozen tomatoes from it but I'm saving seed. I can always spare a few. The seeds germinated well last spring and there were extra plants but I get so busy that the only thing I have time to do is haul them to garden club.