GoDuBois.com

Birds Eye View of Du Bois

Borninabarn

I would have to say the picture is taken from Brady Street , just as you would crest the hill between Olive Ave.and Weber Ave.

The church steeple in the back ground looks to be the church at the corner of High Street and Long Ave. and the large building to the right of it looks like the old Courier Express building.  Look closely at the house on the right in the foreground, if you remove the front proch it looks like the red apartment building that is near the corner of Brady St. and Weber Ave.that sits on the right as you are leaving DuBois.

I would have to say the picture is taken from Brady Street , just as you would crest the hill between Olive Ave.and Weber Ave.

The church steeple in the back ground looks to be the church at the corner of High Street and Long Ave. and the large building to the right of it looks like the old Courier Express building.  Look closely at the house on the right in the foreground, if you remove the front proch it looks like the red apartment building that is near the corner of Brady St. and Weber Ave.that sits on the right as you are leaving DuBois.

I do believe you are spot-on. If you look further, the building at the extreme front-right of the photo appears to be the same church that still stands on the corner of Weber and Brady.

I do believe you are spot-on. If you look further, the building at the extreme front-right of the photo appears to be the same church that still stands on the corner of Weber and Brady.

I think you are right. The First Methodist Church had the steeple, that was removed, at some point. The large square building with the "box" on top, was definitely the Avenue Theater, which was on Long Avenue, down the hill, and across from the church. The "box" on top of the theater housed the stage curtain, when it was raised and lowered. The picture may have been taken from a upper floor of a home on the upper side of Brady Street, near Weber Ave.

According to the Sanborn maps, the Avenue Theater was built sometime after 1901 and before 1906. That is, it doesn't appear on the 1901 map and does appear on the 1906 edition. However, the 1906 map shows the theater sitting back some distance from Long Avenue. The 1913 map shows the building extending to the street. The building in the photo seems to match the 1913 map better than the 1906 map.

If I recall things my mother told me correctly (and if she was remembering correctly), women were still wearing floor-length skirts as recently as World War 1. So, I suspect the photo was taken some time in the period 1906 to 1915. 

Very interesting Metzlof....The theater was reached by a long lobby, as shown in the maps. There were shops on both sides of the lobby, in the same building, as shown in the 1913 map, though not accessible from the theater lobby.