GoDuBois.com

Pork And Sauerkraut On New Year's Day

mr.d

I love me some pork and kraut!! I could eat it a couple times a month!!

Was unable to make my homemade kraut this year so I have been getting the next best thing.

Ted Palumbo's fresh made kraut and I always have to get his Knockwurst to add in it.

My wife thought I was nuts yesterday as I was eating the kraut right out of the bag as I was getting ready to put it in the oven. Glad I bought a couple extra bags!

My trick to good pork and kraut. Cook it in beef broth. ;)

I never add sugar to kraut, its great right out of the bag and into the baking dish. We always had pork, knockwurst and kraut on New Years for as long as I can remember. I had a little kraut and kielbasa on New Years eve this year. None on New Years day cause I eat very little now and was not up to making it. I've had kraut with sugar before and did not care for it but know a lot of people do prefer it that way, same for caraway seeds, I never cared to have them in my kraut. I even heard of people rinsing the brine off the kraut before cooking, for me that is a no no. I guess we grew up eating it right out of the bag and that is what I always preferred.

Eating it has always been a good luck meal on New Years day. I never really knew why but did not care cause it was so good. :)

My hubby loves mashed taters with kraut, kielbsa,& sometimes kosher hot dogs. He didn't get any this year. Too much food from the funeral to eat yet!! I will make him some this month.

I hate it .. yuk!!!

I always put 1 Tbs of brown sugar and a pint of home canned tomatoes in mine. It's not sweet at all. We have it with pork and knockwurst and mashed potatoes. Some PA folks believe you have to eat in on New Years Eve for good luck, my family always had to have it on New Years Day.

Down south they believe in eating black eyed peas on New Years for good luck.

Before I was married I shared an apartment with an Italian friend.  We took turns cooking supper and her version of sauerkraut was to rinse the heck out of it and then add butter and sugar!  I ate it then but never again. 

My sauerkraut turned pink this year so we haven't touched it.  No idea why.

Before I was married I shared an apartment with an Italian friend.  We took turns cooking supper and her version of sauerkraut was to rinse the heck out of it and then add butter and sugar!  I ate it then but never again. 

My sauerkraut turned pink this year so we haven't touched it.  No idea why.

A Word on Yeasts

Yeast is another major inhibitor which requires an abundance of oxygen for growth. It

Petee when we make it we take all the outside leaves we peel off and layer them around the cut up Kraut after the crock is filled then we take an old plate about the same size as the inside of the crock and put it on top of the leaves and then wrap a couple bricks in plastic wrap and foil and put on top of the plate to weight it down.

Then we just cover it with a loose sheet.

Head to one of the local grocery stores and pick up one their used food grade 5 gallon buckets and make it in that.

They're light and have a handle.  ;)