GoDuBois.com

It's The Law: Bring Your Pets In From The Cold

mr.d

I hope they have people to enforce these laws. Last year, I made several calls and nothing was done for the dog that has been tied outside 24 hours a day for the past five or more years. 25 below zero or 100 degrees.....there he is. NEVER off the rope. Ever.

I hope they have people to enforce these laws. Last year, I made several calls and nothing was done for the dog that has been tied outside 24 hours a day for the past five or more years. 25 below zero or 100 degrees.....there he is. NEVER off the rope. Ever.

Can you send the address of that dog to your senator and the Committee handling this legislation?

While it is good to make sure your pets are warm and dry in the worst times of the year - not all pets appreciate being inside.

A friend of mine has some Alaskan type dog(not sure of the breed) that refuses to come inside once it is cold.  He has to fight it tooth and nail to bring it in at night.  ...it WANTS to be outside in the snow and cold temps and is happier than a pig in mud while in the snow.

I've got to agree with the above. We had a long haired dog once that used to go outside and sleep in the snow every chance it got. It was a house dog and I think it would have been more comfortable as an outside dog except it was on the timid side. Animals that are adapted to the outdoors get along just fine when provided with appropriate shelter. Should we bring in the deer and the bunnies, too?

I have Great Pyreneese livestock guardian dogs. Right now they are in heaven. They each have a large paddock, shelter and food avaible 24/7. I provide warm water several times a day. They won't even drink it. They run around eating mouthfuls of snow and happily lay in the direct wind. I will agree most breeds aren't made for the cold but a few really seem to enjoy it.

Our husky loves this time of year.  Sometimes when he is out, we can't find him because he is buried in the snow.  The maltese, not so much.  He stands on my garden bench by the door so I can put on his coat before he goes outside.  He does not mess around either while he is out there.

In the summer, the husky is miserable.  Try to keep him in air-conditioning as much as possible.

Hopefully, this legislation will be for those poor animals who are truly neglected.  There are a lot of idiots out there who own pets.

Thats a stupid law. Wilmadawg was out last night in her pen, I think it was 9 degrees. She would not come in the house . So someone wants to pass a Law that I have to bring her in ?,,,,,,,,,,,,get the hell out of here. And who is going to enforce a law like that anyway?

Should this law pass you can always call the authorities to serve Wilmadawg with the proper papers (pun intended) to get her inside when temperatures drop. I'm sure she will be impressed. If she refuses to comply they can always haul her off to the local lockup. This is another one of those intrusive laws that is going to penalize the many for the faults of the few.

I can't imagine that they will pursue dogs that choose to be outside in the cold.  This is probably a tool so the dog law officers can go after the ones who leave them out in the cold when they are not a breed meant to be outside.

Ah yes,  laws that are  only enforced selectively. That is definitely the way laws were meant to function. :duh:  Those of you with dogs who like being out in the cold had better get their paw prints on a notarized statement that they are of a breed that is adaptable to the cold. Personally, I've had dogs who had no idea who their daddy was or what breed. Some of them weren't sure who their mommy was. Although what good it will do if the law says all dogs or dogs in general. Wait till a neighbor times how long your dog was out in the yard and the officer who answers the call doesn't care to take sides. If the law isn't enforced as written the enforcement officer becomes judge and jury. Is that how things should be run? Stupid laws put the folks who have to enforce them on the spot. 

The sad thing is that there are laws in place against animal abuse. Now we are going to have one of those stupid laws that micromanage how you care for a pet.  (Since micromanaging the parental disciplining of children has worked so well!)No longer than a half an hour if the temperature drops below freezing? So the pooch can't be out while you are shoveling snow or walking on a cold day should you go over the half an hour mark.  The pooch is not going to be happy.  There are people who are going to love this law as it controls the behavior of their neighbors. They are going to scream like banshees when it is applied to them. But isn't that true of most laws? If Wilmadawg needs a place to hide out should she become the fugitive of the week let me know. We are dogless as of the moment. She can return home when the heat is off or do I mean on?