GoDuBois.com

Coolspring General Store Fighting To Keep Its Doors Open

mr.d

Coolspring General Store fighting to keep its doors open

After a financially hard spring, the Coolspring General Store owner Daryl Adams is fighting to keep a piece of history alive.

OLIVER TOWNSHIP, JUNE 7, 2016 -------- Since 1906, a Jefferson County general store has been located off Route 36 on Coolspring Road.

Now after a financially hard spring, Coolspring General Store owner Daryl Adams is fighting to keep a piece of history alive.

"We always had a number that once we hit that number, we were going to say that's enough," Adams said. "Well we went through that twice."

Adams said he bought the store four years ago, knowing it was a losing proposition. But the true old fashioned store was something he couldn't walk away from.

"I like these old fashioned stores," customer Scott Lewis said. "They're just so nifty."

The store also served as the Coolspring Post Office for 159 years. Against protest from the community, it was closed on July 1, 2015 by the U.S. Postal Service.

"I want people to know about this place," Adams said. "I want people to know that this part of American history could close and never come back. If they're OK with that, I'm OK with that. If they're not okay with it, come stop in the store, buy something or just stop in and say hello."

The store takes pride in selling American Indian goods.

Adams said if his store can't take care of itself, he can't keep investing in it.

"If between now and June 25, some magical thing would happen, I would absolutely keep the store open," Adams said. "I would like to retire from here."

Click here to donate to Coolspring General Store.

SEE VIDEO;   http://wjactv.com/news/local/coolspring-general-store-fighting-to-keep-its-doors-open                             ( On June 16,17,18, 2016 there will be an Engine Show- hit and miss engines and other big engines, flea market at Coolspring Power Museum Show grounds in Coolspring, when there stop in at the Coolspring General Store to show your support of a part of History)