GoDuBois.com

SMA grads celebrate setting 1975 world record

Bon

teamBW.jpg?itok=Hx4uVcP9

Daily Press file photo - Shown in the front row, from left to right, are Mike Dippold, Kim Hellewell, scorekeeper, Rich Beimel, Joe Welze and Jon McCormick. In the second row are John Lovett, Ray Rettger, Fred Martin, Bill Feile, Doug Foster and Tom Gallagher.

Monday, November 28, 2016
ST. MARYS, PA

Forty-one years ago, a ragtag group of friends from St. Marys Area High School accomplished a unique feat in setting a world record for the longest marathon basketball game.
The listing shown in the Guinness Book of World Records 1976 edition states the game lasted 56 hours and one minute.
The game took place on the basketball courts at Memorial Park in St. Marys, starting at noon on Tuesday, June 24, 1975 and concluding around 8 p.m. on Thursday, June 26.
The record-setting group includes John Lovett, Mike Dippold, Rich Beimel, Joe Welze, Jon McCormick, Ray Rettger, Fred Martin, Bill Feile, Doug Foster, Tom Gallagher and Kim Hellewell, scorekeeper.
"We had a get-together and party several weeks later and that's when it really set in that we really broke a world record," Lovett explained. "No one else in the world has done this and it was really an awesome feeling.

I never heard about this till I read about this online this morning. Kinda cool that they still hold the record. Wonder if any of them still have their shirts from Guinness?? Wonder if my hubby knows any of them?