GoDuBois.com

Who's got chickens?

LFG

Ok, some of you know I found this forum after the landfill collapse. I've made some new friends here, and the one thing I know better than landfills is chickens. Seems like a few of you guys have them, too, so let's hear what you have.

I started with 4 Buff Orpington chicks in 2010. They just looked so cute at the feed store when we were buying our garden seeds. My wife and I just really enjoyed raising them. Fast forward to now, and I have 6 pens, 2 incubators, 4 brooders, and somewhere between 100-130 birds depending on what time of year it is. We breed Easter Eggers, Cuckoo Marans, and Silkies as pets and layers, and we breed some of the best Black Copper Marans in SC for eggs and for show.

Who else has chickens?

landfillguy, you're a busy guy :)

I don't have any chickens but I am curios on hearing about who does and what they do with them...

I come to the landfill to take a break ;)

It started as a hobby, and it's still a hobby, but chick and egg sales almost break even with the cost of feed, so it's a self sustaining hobby

Thanks for starting this topic, maybe just maybe people will stay on topic,

If this is like the other forums I frequent, eventually everything will be blamed on a former president :D

Plenty to talk about here. Feeding, hatching, incubators, breeds, hatchery vs breeder quality, heck, I even heard that y'all have a problem with water freezing up there :o

If this is like the other forums I frequent, eventually everything will be blamed on a former president :D

Plenty to talk about here. Feeding, hatching, incubators, breeds, hatchery vs breeder quality, heck, I even heard that y'all have a problem with water freezing up there :o

landfillguy              I was at a Steeler game vs Oakland back in the late 90's at the old Three River Stadium in Pittsburgh. Got to talking with a few young fellows from Oakland that flew in to watch the game. Keeping in mind that it was a pleasant fall day (temps in the low 50's) when one of the guys went to the restroom he come back and told his friends that the restrooms actually had heat in them. He was surprised about that. I told him that in some places in Pa we actually have running water as well.

I used to have a couple Pekin Ducks. They are the white ones that look like the Afflac duck. Very fun ducks with personality. Also, love the fresh eggs. Duck eggs make a boxed cake big & fluffy too! Never had any chickens, but have bought fresh eggs from a friend with chic. There is nothing finer then fresh eggs. If you Knew how long it takes a store bought egg to get from chic to store, then we'd all be fighting for the right to have ducks & chickens where we live or are stuck living.

I used to have a couple Pekin Ducks. They are the white ones that look like the Afflac duck. Very fun ducks with personality. Also, love the fresh eggs. Duck eggs make a boxed cake big & fluffy too! Never had any chickens, but have bought fresh eggs from a friend with chic. There is nothing finer then fresh eggs. If you Knew how long it takes a store bought egg to get from chic to store, then we'd all be fighting for the right to have ducks & chickens where we live or are stuck living.

Once my customers get hooked on a real yolk with thick whites, they get mad at me in the winter when they have to go back to the watery store boughts. I've heard duck eggs are the best for baking

Duck eggs make fabulous noodles, and scrambled, they are just beautiful, light and so bright yellow.

The thick whites make meringue worth the calories, and coconut custard with duck eggs can't be beat.

Every yard should have a couple of chickens with proper care.  Just turning them loose to roam everywhere isn't taking very good care of them because every carnivorous critter out there loves a good chicken.

Plus, they are simply the very best fun.

My wife has 7 chickens.  Couldn't tell you what kind of chickens, but they're free range.  They produce more eggs than I know what to do with and the neighbors like that.  I've been informed that we're getting milk goats later this Spring.  I'm fine with all the animals as long as it's not a cat.  I hate cats!

Duck eggs make fabulous noodles, and scrambled, they are just beautiful, light and so bright yellow.

The thick whites make meringue worth the calories, and coconut custard with duck eggs can't be beat.

Every yard should have a couple of chickens with proper care.  Just turning them loose to roam everywhere isn't taking very good care of them because every carnivorous critter out there loves a good chicken.

Plus, they are simply the very best fun.

I'd love to free range mine, but opossums, coyotes, foxes, feral cats, dogs, hawks, raccoons, snakes, lions, tigers, and bears... Oh my

My wife has 7 chickens.  Couldn't tell you what kind of chickens, but they're free range.  They produce more eggs than I know what to do with and the neighbors like that.  I've been informed that we're getting milk goats later this Spring.  I'm fine with all the animals as long as it's not a cat.  I hate cats!

Combine two and face your fears. You haven't lived until you've milked a cat

landfillguy              I was at a Steeler game vs Oakland back in the late 90's at the old Three River Stadium in Pittsburgh. Got to talking with a few young fellows from Oakland that flew in to watch the game. Keeping in mind that it was a pleasant fall day (temps in the low 50's) when one of the guys went to the restroom he come back and told his friends that the restrooms actually had heat in them. He was surprised about that. I told him that in some places in Pa we actually have running water as well.

If by "late" you mean post 1997, then I don't blame you for discussing the merits of the local plumbing ;)

Speaking of football, PSU was robbed by the Playoff selection committee. I don't think they wanted to play Clemson, either, but how do you send the team that lost to the conference champ ahead of the conference champ? :nono:

It was fun watching the rout of the Buckeyes, though :funny4:

This is a bit off-topic but wanted to share. Years ago we lived in the DC area and there is a beautiful park downtown with lots of ponds and loads of tourists. I wanted to construct a Pekin Duck like the Afflac Duck you see in the commercials. And...also add a working bill so I could hide behind a tree and have him talk to the visitors. They would exclaim - "Did you hear that?" but I would have my duck swim away 'till the next victim. Thought this would be so cool.

Add an incubator and you add double the fun.  More people should have a couple of chickens.  It helps you to live outside of yourself.

That's the best part of breeding, there's always chicks around :D

I hatch at least a few year round, but my busy season is starting now, and I will be hatching every week or so until the weather hits about 90.

Chickens are extremely relaxing. I like to hang out at the pens after a stressful day at work and just watch them. They don't have a care in the world, they are just content creatures.

015.JPG

002.JPG

047.JPG

038.JPG

014.JPG