GoDuBois.com

Who's got chickens?

LFG

Summerville is going exactly the wrong direction with this. They should be organizing a good program that allows a controlled chicken habitat. They are working on having a food desert.

Killing my business, too. How are you going to be my spokesperson when no one can buy aigs?

State College allows chickens. If they can write a ordinance allowing them then a rural area should be able to.

Penn State is an agricultural college. How could State College possibly ban chickens? You hit it at the right time of the year when the college spreads its manure the whole town smells like down on the farm.

Penn State is an agricultural college. How could State College possibly ban chickens? You hit it at the right time of the year when the college spreads its manure the whole town smells like down on the farm.

I could see hundreds or thousands of chickens making a smell. I used to live near a turkey farm, and it was horrendous. Small scale flocks can be almost odor free by composting. All lawn clippings and leaves go directly into my pens. Even with as many birds as I have, customers always comment on the lack of odor

Just like the old Game School that moved from Brockway to Camp Hill.   Elite (liberal)educators and politicians.

Unless you stick your head right into the chicken coop, you will never smell anything.  If I smell ant hint of henhouse then the coop gets cleaned immediately.  Takes 5 minutes because of how I designed it and the compost bin is right behind the coop so everything goes in there and gets covered with shredded paper. Presto, good planning equals no smell.  

Communities can have chickens in every yard but there has to be guidance on how and when to care for them.  The days of letting them perch on the clothes line are gone.

We raised Rhode Island Reds when I was in my teens. I think we had around 50 of them. The only time I can ever remember the coop/shed stinking is when the temperature rose into the high 80's & above, plus the added humidity made us kids clean it out faster.

The only thing I didn't like about chickens were the furry critters that thought they were invited to come on in!! Rats mostly...I always took the 410 with me. I knew I wasn't going to miss either. My brothers took care of the other type of critters.

I could see hundreds or thousands of chickens making a smell. I used to live near a turkey farm, and it was horrendous. Small scale flocks can be almost odor free by composting. All lawn clippings and leaves go directly into my pens. Even with as many birds as I have, customers always comment on the lack of odor

No, no! The chickens don't smell or at least I have no idea either way.  Penn State fertilizes its planting areas, which are just about everywhere in State College, with manure which apparently isn't thoroughly composted. I guess it comes from cows because that is what it smells like. It's been awhile since I smelled it so maybe they have stopped using the stuff. 

We raised Rhode Island Reds when I was in my teens. I think we had around 50 of them. The only time I can ever remember the coop/shed stinking is when the temperature rose into the high 80's & above, plus the added humidity made us kids clean it out faster.

The only thing I didn't like about chickens were the furry critters that thought they were invited to come on in!! Rats mostly...I always took the 410 with me. I knew I wasn't going to miss either. My brothers took care of the other type of critters.

I dispatched a furry critter last week. After the first couple of years losing chickens, my pens are like Fort Knox now. They still try and find a way in, though. I trap, but I'm not real big on relocation. The best part of a Have-a-Heart trap is it eliminates the need for a scope...

My mom said that whenever she was a little that at Easter they received colored(dyed) chicks for Easter gifts.

You don't see that much any more, guess it may be kind of inhumane. What that was was ink injected into the egg right before hatch, usually with silkies because their feathers are so soft. When they shed their downy fluff, the color went away

You would!   :lol:  How many accidental chicken dinners did you have?

None!!the chickens knew enough to get out of my way when I had the 410. If I had my 22, they knew they were safe, took to long to get the rat lined up.

When it was time to get rid of the chickens all together, I wouldn't eat them at all. They were old.