GoDuBois.com

Dark Brown/Black Butterflies?

Has anyone been seeing dark brown (possibly black) butterflies with tan near the edges of the wings?  I've been watching between six to ten of them flying between my house and shed.  They land on the shed but keep flapping their wings and skitter all over the roof.  I went outside to put something in that shed and they flew within six inches of me.  I'm wondering what kind they are?  It's possible they've been around in previous years, but I don't recall seeing them before.

Polyphemus Moth ??  I have had several at my house as of late. They hang out on my porch, seems like they cant fly to well. or more Correctly, Cant find direction to well .Sometimes I see them all green in color.Which i think is the Luna Moth. Notice they have arms, almost like a Bat.

giantmoth2.jpg

Polyphemus Moth ??  I have had several at my house as of late. They hang out on my porch, seems like they cant fly to well. or more Correctly, Cant find direction to well .Sometimes I see them all green in color.Which i think is the Luna Moth. Notice they have arms, almost like a Bat.

You could be right, Junk.  I just looked this one up online and there are some pictures which are fairly close to what I saw.  The most interesting thing that I learned is that they only live as adults for a week.  Thanks!