GoDuBois.com

Gardens

steelnut

So how is everyone's gardens doing?

My tomatoes look sick, the leafs are turning black? Something is eating the peppers. Not happy here at all. We've dusted them, but whatever is destroying the peppers seems to be resistant to the dust. 

I thought possibly a cut worm? The leaves of the peppers are cut off. I could cry at this point, because I'm soooo mad.

Oh well, every year is a new adventure in gardening. I hope you all have a better year than we're having!

Mine looks ok so far despite the fact that we planted in mud. This wet weather is encouraging the growth of all sorts of fungus, bacteria and virus. My spiderwort is turning black and dying off and I suspect a virus. The snails and slugs are also encouraged by the rain. I think cutworms only go after plants that they can cut off at the ground.  I don't think that they climb very well. Maybe slugs or snails. Regular insecticides don't kill them. Chipmunks and mice have their own agendas. The birds have only gotten my corn never the peppers .They also have been known to nip the tops out of the pea plants.  I finished planting today. There were sections of the garden that were so wet you couldn't walk on them. What grows remains to be seen.

I actually planted a bit early this year. I managed to get in lettuce, cabbage, brussel sprouts, etc.   They are all doing well. I planted tomatoes and peppers last weekend. 

I may go out and take some pics later.

I had some strawberries that got eaten by something. I suspect a chipmunk. He ate welll they were just turning red.

My little garden looks "sad" but seems to be perking up since we are getting some sunshine.  Something tried to dig up my cucumber plants so I caged them, something was eating the leaves on my flowers, but that seems to have stopped and Chipmunks dug up some flowers that were planted in a different area and just tossed them aside (finally got to see what was doing that. ) Never had such a terrible year with everything planted!  I feel like I live at T.L.  An over abundance of Squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits this year and I live in town.

We've had to shoot a few crows from the bathroom window, other than that, our garden is doing well. 

Top picture is tomatoes and green peppers, Watermelon, beets, then cabbage and beans in fenced area.  Middle garden is potatoes, bottom garden is corn, cantaloupe and onions. 

Beautiful! If we didn't have an electric fence around our garden, there would be nothing at all left at this point.

After all the wet weather we have had, the nutrients have been well washed down into the soil beyond the baby root zone.  It's also reduces the amount of oxygen space in the soil and is hard on the Mycorrizhal bacteria that breaks down the minerals.  However, the roots are picking up speed and the Mycorrhiza will regenerate, then all of a sudden you'll be surprised at how they take off.  This heat will help immensely.

I just noticed that my potted plants were looking terrible and I thought it was just the aftermath of the hail and too much rain.  I decided to give them a soaking in the compost tea barrel and boy did they come back all of a sudden.  The center of the root ball was dry although the surface felt wet.  

If you are wondering about the acid content of your soil then pick up a Penn State soil testing kit at either DuBois Feeds or Agway.  They are $9 and you will get accurate results back in about 2 weeks.  Then you won't be guessing or over amending your soil with vinegar.  It also can kill plants if used improperly.  Temporarily changing the PH on a leaf may well discourage some fungi, but how would you know for sure?

For anyone getting blackened and rotting leaves at this time of year, I'd have them checked at the Extension office in your county to make sure what's going on.  That's unusual for June.

And do remember, even though this feels like the middle of the growing season, we're really less than two weeks into the normal growing season and it may simply not be quite time for the garden plants to show a growth surge.

Groundhogs yes. Chipmunks are too teeny. Or is that what hubby refers to as "snakeshot?"

When the targets are small and quick along with old shooters like your hubby and me resort to "snakeshot", it covers up a lot of our slowly fading skills.

'.

My cabbage, lettuce is doing great. In the bottom garen looks like the cauliflower, brussel sprouts and Broccoli are getting the leaves eaten by something.

I may have to try the vinegar trick and see if it works.

Peppers and Tomatoes are in and are pretty much the same as when I planted them.

The celery is doing good.

The middle of the garden is not bare it has watermelon, squash and pumpkins planted in it.

Oh and in pic 5 you can see rogue potatoes from a couple years ago popping up through.

The dreaded cabbage worm strikes again. Soon there will be little white butterflies everywhere. Nothing really works permanently, for me anyway. You kill off the current batch and another generation follows. Soaking the broccoli in salt water before you cook it gets rid of them before you put it on the table. Still it helps to watch what you put in your mouth.

PS Great looking garden. Tell us how you keep the weeds out? I've kind of given up on ever killing them all off.