GoDuBois.com

Advanced Disposal Landfill Collapse

I so agree with those that the 12k fine was ridiculous. They knew about the problems! Listening to the guys on their cell phones, that was sooo terrible to hear. They were afraid, they knew that it was wrong and so dangerous Yet, the company did nothing. One man lost his life and how many other employees lives were in danger. It's so disgusting. I'm just so fed up with everything at this point, I just want to get out of here.

Here is the GAME people.

Your taxes are paying for OSHA. They are supposed to keep this from happening.

It happened under their watch. At your expense.

If your government agency would have come down hard, they would set a precedent that they would have to follow from now on.

Pay attention Steel to my next words.

The R side of the TPD controls big business. They will protect their voting base. They know who pays for their side of the joke that runs this country.

Fact coming up----- hang on---

This deal has been turned over to the lawers (sorry legal), there will be a monetary judgement handed out in silence. No precedent to be seen by the public. No rules to be followed in the future.

Bunches of money will be made before to next death.

The voting public has no idea about these games. They vote for more government rules thinking they are solving possible problems

26 minutes ago, fedup said:

Here is the GAME people.

If your government agency would have come down hard, they would set a precedent that they would have to follow from now on.

The R side of the TPD controls big business. They will protect their voting base. They know who pays for their side of the joke that runs this country.

This deal has been turned over to the lawers (sorry legal), there will be a monetary judgement handed out in silence. No precedent to be seen by the public. No rules to be followed in the future.

The voting public has no idea about these games. They vote for more government rules thinking they are solving possible problems

I absolutely agree with you. 

As to the last sentence, I am part of the voting public and I know about the games. I have told you numerous times that I am a voter who despises both parties, but I am an informed voter. I know, I know all citizens have a right to vote. But, I've felt sooo many times over the years that voters should have to take a common sense test in order to vote. I know I'm going to get crapped on for that statement.... so let it begin....

9 minutes ago, steelnut said:

I absolutely agree with you. 

As to the last sentence, I am part of the voting public and I know about the games. I have told you numerous times that I am a voter who despises both parties, but I am an informed voter. I know, I know all citizens have a right to vote. But, I've felt sooo many times over the years that voters should have to take a common sense test in order to vote. I know I'm going to get crapped on for that statement.... so let it begin....

Butttttt you keep voting for the TPD  expecting the change you desire.

What you desire AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN if you keep voting for the very thing that goes against the life you want.

If you remember the old threads about fracking fedup was there telling you all that the government you believed was not protecting you. It was, and still is, protecting it's self.

9 minutes ago, fedup said:

Butttttt you keep voting for the TPD  expecting the change you desire.

What you desire AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN if you keep voting for the very thing that goes against the life you want.

If you remember the old threads about fracking fedup was there telling you all that the government you believed was not protecting you. It was, and still is, protecting it's self.

Please explain how not voting at all will change anything? I despise the two party system probably more that you do. But, I also understand that if we want anything to change and if we all sit by and not vote, how do you think things will actually change? I'm serious, it would be the same old, same old. And that goes on too much as it is. 

30 minutes ago, Petee said:

No amount of hazard pay would cover the dangers of that work.  Then to think that the employers would allow one of their workers to be buried alive in order to keep making money?

You, along with 99 percent of the citizens in this country has no idea on what some of us do (or has done) in order to keep your life comfy.

This deal got your attention. None of you knew about the 3 men who lost their lives working on a pipeline (keeping you warm and comfy) in Driftwood Pa.

Nobody cared.

I have old black and white pics of some of the accidents that killed guys my dad worked with. They also died supplying you all with your comfy.

Haul your trash to the curb, turn up your thermostat, we are out there making you comfy.

6 minutes ago, steelnut said:

Please explain how not voting at all will change anything? I despise the two party system probably more that you do. But, I also understand that if we want anything to change and if we all sit by and not vote, how do you think things will actually change? I'm serious, it would be the same old, same old. And that goes on too much as it is. 

Come on Steel, your smarter than that. Your vote is a, YES, I am comfy with you. You claim to do all this research before you vote.

If you actually researched the truth you would never pull a lever for the TPD.

My guess is you look for a reason not to vote for one then you vote for the other.

Can't you see what your doing?

You vote for evil believing your evil is better.

18 minutes ago, steelnut said:

Let's cut to the chase. You feel the need to vote. If you don't vote, you think you are doing something wrong. The TPD has worked very hard to make you feel that way.

Are you that willing to be controlled?

1 hour ago, fedup said:

Here is the GAME people.

The facts are that Congress controls OSHA fines and regulations. It doesn't matter if they are Rs or Ds. 

http://fortune.com/2015/05/04/employee-deaths-consequences/

OSHA, Advanced Disposal will meet to discuss citation

ea64e35c-7a87-44c3-9c8e-ddb3212214ac-lar

WJAC

KERSEY -- The federal agency tasked with investigating Greentree Landfill said Tuesday it plans to meet with the landfill's company next week to discuss implementing abatement plans.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration is expected to meet with Advanced Disposal, the company that owns the Elk County landfill, at an informal conference on Aug. 22.

OSHA spokesperson Joanna Hawkins confirmed the meeting in an email with 6 News.

"The implementation of the feasible means of abatement will be discussed with the company," said Hawkins.

OSHA fined the company $12,675, the highest dollar figure OSHA can fine for a single citation classified as "serious."

OSHA wrote in its citation seven abatement plans for Greentree Landfill to follow in wake of the landslide that killed employee William Pierce, 49, in February.

OSHA felt the seven corrective measures would "best prevent a [recurrence] of a landslide incident," said Hawkins.

The abatement plans included consulting with a registered engineer to develop a written plan for blending sludge and solid waste; implementing safeguards to protect employees when significant landfill horizontal and/or vertical movement is observed; and removing temporary membrane and rain flap before placing waste, in accordance with the design plan.

Cracks at the landfill were also mentioned repeatedly in OSHA's citation.

"Simply speaking, it was determined that the employer did not respond to the repeated cracks which appeared at the landfill," said Hawkins. "The cracks were evidence of an unstable work site at the landfill, and the company failed to take proper corrective actions in response to their appearance. Therefore, a general duty clause citation was issued to the company."

6 News first reported in May on a crack reportedly four to five feet wide by 100 feet long seen in the active disposal area, as shown in state inspection records.

Advanced Disposal finally returned our calls for comment after our broadcast report aired at 6 p.m.

Mark Nighbor, a spokesperson for the company, said he was traveling and said he would reach back out Tuesday with a statement.

6 News did speak with Nighbor Tuesday afternoon.

"We received receipt of the citation on August 10 as it relates to the tragic events of February's accident at Greentree Landfill.," said Nighbor. "We are committed to the safety of all of our employees and we are continuing to cooperate with OSHA."

He would not comment on specific questions about any of the seven abatement notes.

"We will be meeting with OSHA to discuss the elements of the citation and prefer not to comment on any elements of the citation until after meeting with OSHA," said Nighbor.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          http://wjactv.com/news/local/osha-advanced-disposal-to-meet-to-discuss-citation

5 hours ago, mr.d said:

This isn't something you have to be told to do. If this wasn't done, that's the equivalent of leaving the plug in the bathtub with the shower running

http://comanco.com/blog/comanco-completes-the-rain-flap-removal-at-cedar-trail-lf/

This is a good article that explains the purpose of a rain flap. Rain flaps are built by the contractor doing the new cell construction. When trash is placed in a new cell, the rain flap is removed and the new gravel and pipe are connected to the existing system. If the rain flap isn't removed, then the leachate collection system in the new cell is useless, there is no way for the liquid to make it into the system. It would be trapped in place

I know some are upset by it only being a $12k fine, but please remember that fine is only what is being paid to a government agency.  That is not intended to place a dollar value on the life lost.  Hopefully this will set a precedent so that it doesn't happen again and that Mr. Pierce's family is able to pursue a settlement that will allow them to at least be a little more comfortable while they attempt to heal their hearts from their tragic loss. 

2 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I know some are upset by it only being a $12k fine, but please remember that fine is only what is being paid to a government agency.  That is not intended to place a dollar value on the life lost.  Hopefully this will set a precedent so that it doesn't happen again and that Mr. Pierce's family is able to pursue a settlement that will allow them to at least be a little more comfortable while they attempt to heal their hearts from their tragic loss. 

As I said earlier, its time to unleash the lawyers.  Mr. Pierce died from AD negligence, and we should forget anyone one else who was injured in the accident.  

19 hours ago, fedup said:

Here is the GAME people.

We pay for OSHA, but I don't expect them or any other agency to prevent all deaths no more than an alarm on a resident will keep them from falling or being strangled in a bedrail. I hope their is a monetary judgement.  I hope that the people who were negligent are fired and face criminal charges.   Nevertheless, garbage will continue to be collected and disposed of, and accidents like this will continue to happen as long as the financial punishments are so embarrassingly small.  

7 minutes ago, TucsonSunset said:

We pay for OSHA, but I don't expect them or any other agency to prevent all deaths no more than an alarm on a resident will keep them from falling or being strangled in a bedrail. I hope their is a monetary judgement.  I hope that the people who were negligent are fired and face criminal charges.   Nevertheless, garbage will continue to be collected and disposed of, and accidents like this will continue to happen as long as the financial punishments are so embarrassingly small.  

I think Fed's point is that there will be a large financial consequence that no one will ever hear about, and sadly he is probably right. It will be settled for millions of dollars quietly, and nothing will change for our industry...

2 hours ago, disgruntled said:

You are correct. However, the fine seems insufficient to dissuade others from such practice in the future.

2 hours ago, TucsonSunset said:

4 hours ago, landfillguy said:

I think Fed's point is that there will be a large financial consequence that no one will ever hear about, and sadly he is probably right. It will be settled for millions of dollars quietly, and nothing will change for our industry...

I understand, but I'm a realist.  I don't expect change In a government/big business with current election laws that discourage more than a two-party system and allow campaigns to be funded by obscene amounts of money, so I'm not disappointed.  Insurance companies are protected from being sued, banks are too big to fail, and our elected representatives have better benefits than their average constituent.   Heck, many people voted for a guy that didn't even pay his contractors.  But, we still live in a country that's better than most.