GoDuBois.com

Advanced Disposal Landfill Collapse

On 9/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, LFG said:

This is how I found this website. I heard about it the day it happened, and the only thing that came up on my Google search was a thread by mr.d.  The original thread got lost when the site changed the format 

I came here with the best of intentions, I can only blame myself for everything that followed...

I'm sure that we all agree that you had the best of intentions and we appreciate the knowledge that you shared in helping us understand how this tragedy happened and how it could have been avoided. You are not to blame for anything at all, you've been a breath of fresh air with a great sense of humor that the vast majority of members appreciate. 

11 hours ago, steelnut said:

I'm sure that we all agree that you had the best of intentions and we appreciate the knowledge that you shared in helping us understand how this tragedy happened and how it could have been avoided. You are not to blame for anything at all, you've been a breath of fresh air with a great sense of humor that the vast majority of members appreciate. 

Thanks bass ;)

On 9/10/2018 at 6:26 PM, LFG said:

This is how I found this website. I heard about it the day it happened, and the only thing that came up on my Google search was a thread by mr.d.  The original thread got lost when the site changed the format 

I came here with the best of intentions, I can only blame myself for everything that followed...

It would be hard to pay for entertainment like you found here.

49 minutes ago, lavender said:

I could never decide if Oscar the Grouch or the Cookie Monster was my favorite. I leaned toward Oscar but the Cookie Monster had a dark side too. 

I think either of those is more appropriate than my original CAT avatar. Honorable mention, of course, goes to my brief time with your avatar. For those who really paid attention, Vader's daughter designed one especially for me that I sported for a short while

5 hours ago, LFG said:

I think either of those is more appropriate than my original CAT avatar. Honorable mention, of course, goes to my brief time with your avatar. For those who really paid attention, Vader's daughter designed one especially for me that I sported for a short while

I lost my original avatar over that swap. I didn't have it backed up and had to go looking for it I never did find the original. 

On 9/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, lavender said:

Who knows? I'm never sure where anything goes. It might be in the dimension to which all of the lost socks find their way.  

I am still searching for a favorite sock. It is just ........gone.   😢

• 2 months later...

This is the time of year where we give our PowerPoint presentations to the big wheels, show them what changes we have made that are going to make us better the following year. I have an entire slide devoted to one topic. We were finally allowed to make drastic cuts in one specific area, and after only 8 months there is a noticeable difference in not only stability, but also a reduction in costs associated with the after effects of that material once it is placed in the landfill. 

These changes were not made just at my site, but were mandatory nationwide, with severe penalties for anyone violating the new policies. It will never be said out loud, but there is not a doubt in my mind that the ripples that caused these changes originated from a little mountain town in PA.

Thank you for making noise

• 1 month later...

DEP Approves Report Detailing Cause of Advanced Disposal Services Greentree Landfill 2017 Slope Failure

Landfill%2Bcollapse%2Bpicture.JPGMeadville, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announced today that it has approved Advanced Disposal Services Greentree Landfill, LLC’s (Advanced Disposal) “Root Cause Report” detailing Advanced Disposal’s investigation and conclusion regarding the cause of the slope failure on February 8, 2017, at the Greentree Landfill in Kersey, Elk County. 

DEP required Advanced Disposal to conduct the investigation and submit the Root Cause Report under a Consent Order and Agreement between the DEP and Advanced Disposal dated November 30, 2017. Experts hired by Advanced Disposal prepared the Root Cause Report and concluded that the placement of non-conventional waste streams within the Greentree Landfill, including low shear strength sludges, and other operational factors created conditions that caused the February 8, 2017 slope failure. Industry experts hired by DEP to review the Root Cause Report did not contest the conclusions and DEP approved the Root Cause Report.

The Consent Order and Agreement also required Advanced Disposal to remediate the slope failure area, consent to restrictions on sludge acceptance, and pay a civil penalty of $600,000.  

Advanced Disposal later agreed to a modification of the agreement that included $95,000 in additional penalties. Advanced Disposal continues to remediate the area of the slope failure at Greentree Landfill. The penalties were paid into the Solid Waste Abatement Fund, which is used to address problems at abandoned landfills, help to address littering and anti-dumping initiatives.

• 7 months later...

This just came across my news feed.

ELK COUNTY, Pa. (WJAC) — Elk County Coroner Michelle Muccio announced one person died today from an accident Tuesday at the Greentree Landfill in Fox Township, Elk County.

Muccio said a 56-year-old man was trapped between the back of a tractor trailer and a tipping device just after 3:00 p.m. She said the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 5:36 p.m.

Muccio said the cause of death is blunt force crush injuries to the lower abdomen.

One person killed in Elk County landfill accident

bb8a88f1-e297-43ae-a659-0eb2d55dfe63-lar
Elk County Coroner Michelle Muccio announced one person died today from an accident Tuesday at the Greentree Landfill in Fox Township, Elk County.

Elk County Coroner Michelle Muccio announced one person died today from an accident Tuesday at the Greentree Landfill in Fox Township, Elk County.

Muccio said a 56-year-old man was trapped between the back of a tractor trailer and a tipping device just after 3:00 p.m. She said the man was pronounced dead at the scene at 5:36 p.m.

Muccio said the cause of death is blunt force crush injuries to the lower abdomen.

The manner of death was ruled accidental.

The victim's identity is being withheld pending notification of family.

This is the second death at Greentree Landfill since 2017.

Stick with 6 News as we continue to follow this developing story.

29 minutes ago, mr.d said:

One person killed in Elk County landfill accident

bb8a88f1-e297-43ae-a659-0eb2d55dfe63-lar

The manner of death was ruled accidental.

The victim's identity is being withheld pending notification of family.

This is the second death at Greentree Landfill since 2017.

Stick with 6 News as we continue to follow this developing story.

I know a guy that works there. Praying it was not him. Prayers going out to the person that was killed Family!!🙏🙏🙏