WHERE? AND WHAT? IS THIS .. CONTEST! Check it out > HERE!

GoDuBois.com
steelnut

Advanced Disposal Landfill Collapse

6 minutes ago, soccermom said:

Well, you brought up what sets off the Geiger counter. I also remember people discussing folded prions in the old landfill thread.

Well, I think that was you discussing the prions :lol:, I don't know much about that.

The only thing I have ever seen set off the Geiger counter is waste from a chemo patient, and we once had a driver who set off the alarm every time he came in one day. When that happens, they have to drop their can and DHEC comes and scans it by hand. That's how we've pinpointed one diaper in a 20 ton load. Anyway, they never got a hit on that particular driver's can. Out of curiosity, they waved the wand over the driver, and he set it off. Turns out his uniforms had been washed with some of the clothing from a nursing home and was tripping the alarm, that's how sensitive they are

7 minutes ago, landfillguy said:

Well, I think that was you discussing the prions :lol:, I don't know much about that.

The only thing I have ever seen set off the Geiger counter is waste from a chemo patient, and we once had a driver who set off the alarm every time he came in one day. When that happens, they have to drop their can and DHEC comes and scans it by hand. That's how we've pinpointed one diaper in a 20 ton load. Anyway, they never got a hit on that particular driver's can. Out of curiosity, they waved the wand over the driver, and he set it off. Turns out his uniforms had been washed with some of the clothing from a nursing home and was tripping the alarm, that's how sensitive they are

No, I wasn't the person who brought up prions. There were 2 other people talking about it before I made a comment.

5 minutes ago, hipower said:

Makes me wonder if they aren't missing an opportunity to do a joint venture or even a stand alone landfill which accepts other materials on a for profit basis?

We looked at that, dedicating a cell to nothing but fly ash. The profit would have been less than half of the MSW rate for a more desirable material, but even at that cost the power plants came out cheaper building their own cells. You can't really mix it with sludge during the lower stages of a cell because, like fedup said, it makes an impermeable barrier. It turns to concrete and won't let leachate go to the bottom of the landfill, it pushes it out the sides. I know of one landfill in particular that had to go back with a rock hammer on a trackhoe just to bust through it to relieve the pressure. It would be good on a cap, but caps are a short term project once every few years, and fly ash is constant

4 hours ago, soccermom said:

It seems many things that are expensive to dispose of as waste suddenly find new homes. But how much testing is done before hand to determine the long term implications? I challenge that the new homes usually comes from well funded lobbying.

My experience with flyash. 

Small coal operator in your back yard had a old small reclaimed strip mine. They had buried trees and stumps in it. Polluted a small stream. Nothing drastic. Dep said dig out the wood and place flyash in its place. I done the work.

2nd experience was a large DEP run experiment. Also in your backyard. They used tons and tons of flyash. I did not work on that job. I was one of three residents that watched over the project at the request of the DEP.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

14 minutes ago, fedup said:

My experience with flyash. 

Small coal operator in your back yard had a old small reclaimed strip mine. They had buried trees and stumps in it. Polluted a small stream. Nothing drastic. Dep said dig out the wood and place flyash in its place. I done the work.

2nd experience was a large DEP run experiment. Also in your backyard. They used tons and tons of flyash. I did not work on that job. I was one of three residents that watched over the project at the request of the DEP.

My first job as a superintendent was building cooling ponds for the discharge of the new scrubbers at a coal plant in NC. 5 ponds, 8 acres each, built entirely from fly ash. After the ponds were constructed, we laid pipe 8-15 feet deep in that ash. There were days I went home looking like an extra from Amos and Andy. This was in 2002. I wonder what has been discovered in fly ash since then that makes it such an ecological nightmare. My body may be riddled with cancer one day, but I've seen things come in here that were much more concerning than fly ash. This is just my opinion, but I think that whole movement was a "feel good" move that will cost the taxpayers billions of dollars 

2 minutes ago, landfillguy said:

My first job as a superintendent was building cooling ponds for the discharge of the new scrubbers at a coal plant in NC. 5 ponds, 8 acres each, built entirely from fly ash. After the ponds were constructed, we laid pipe 8-15 feet deep in that ash. There were days I went home looking like an extra from Amos and Andy. This was in 2002. I wonder what has been discovered in fly ash since then that makes it such an ecological nightmare. My body may be riddled with cancer one day, but I've seen things come in here that were much more concerning than fly ash. This is just my opinion, but I think that whole movement was a "feel good" move that will cost the taxpayers billions of dollars 

I hated working with the stuff. It's worse than baby power.

The strip job I worked kept me covered in the stuff and who knows how much I sucked in. 

4 minutes ago, fedup said:

I hated working with the stuff. It's worse than baby power.

The strip job I worked kept me covered in the stuff and who knows how much I sucked in. 

Took about 6 q-tips to clean my ears and nose at the end of the day.

I've also worked at a couple of gold mines. If you want to hear about some scary chemicals in industry, do a little reading about how gold ore is extracted from dirt. Where is the public outcry for those companies to clean up their slurry piles? 

I think the power plants are just an easy target 

Just now, landfillguy said:

Took about 6 q-tips to clean my ears and nose at the end of the day.

I've also worked at a couple of gold mines. If you want to hear about some scary chemicals in industry, do a little reading about how gold ore is extracted from dirt. Where is the public outcry for those companies to clean up their slurry piles? 

I think the power plants are just an easy target 

YEPPER on the gold extraction. But wedding rings are a needed thing. 

Think about the BS involved in the making of solar panels.

6 minutes ago, landfillguy said:

Yeah, I wonder where they're gonna bury those things. They ain't coming here

Maybe they will stick in the same mountains that they are using to store nuke waste that nobody knows how to handle.

2 minutes ago, landfillguy said:

Right beside the Tesla batteries

Ta- Dah.