GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

Now to go shopping today for whatever I need in order to put them outside safely.  Last year was different and I stayed out most of the time with them to make sure a hawk didn't nab them.

Since, we are going to stay at the plant sale longer today to accommodate the Art Walk patrons, come on over and scramble through the remains of the plants.  

I will have the leftovers and some other plants at my own greenhouse all summer till winter.  However, since it is my private recreational greenhouse, you will have to call to see when I will be home.  The donations from the plant sale will still go to the BUDS projects, and anything else will go to supporting the maintenance of the greenhouse I use for the BUDS.  I also lost the roofs of my two small greenhouses in the hail storm, so I have to replace almost all of the PVC panels there.  I have basically footed the bill for the raising of the seedlings for all these years (electric, heating, water, space, fertilizer and transport) so it would be nice to be able to supplement a few of those costs.

Come visit, enjoy a rest by the chicken coop to watch the girls, but just contact me first.  No visits at unannounced times.

Call me first at 814-371-3322 or 814-590-9010 or 814-603-3484, or e-mail cshenkle@verizon.net.   I can also then aim you at the Amish Greenhouse just over the hill behind my house where they have flowers, vegetables and garden art.  They are simply a wonderful family to meet!

This is a picture of the Buttless Wonder in the midst of his sisters, I hope.

DSC00758r.jpg

I really like the white in those chicks, they are marked well. On the ones that are mossy, that will blend more into the background as they grow. It will still be there, but you will have to look to see it.

The kids went out for their first visit to the countryside today and got to meet their aunties.  Hubby and I are working on a Chick-mobile.  Since the girls can't be left loose in the yard, then they can hop in the Chick-mobile and go for a ride to the grass.  Then it's back to the Coop for the night.  

It's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to keep chickens!   :luv:

The kids went out for their first visit to the countryside today and got to meet their aunties.  Hubby and I are working on a Chick-mobile.  Since the girls can't be left loose in the yard, then they can hop in the Chick-mobile and go for a ride to the grass.  Then it's back to the Coop for the night.  

It's amazing the lengths people will go to in order to keep chickens!   :luv:

I still have mine in the brooder. Both of my grow out pens are occupied, but one will be vacated this weekend when my Mexican friend takes some roosters off my hands :popcorn:

I'll be moving the babies out this weekend, and fair warning Petee, the photobombing will begin :D

Don't know because it is still in the carton, but I had a heck of a time closing it. I usually tie a piece of butcher twine around my egg cartons to make sure they say closed.

I have on Easter Egger that lays those goose eggs once in a while.

Poor girl...

Got another one and had to put it in a bowl in the fridge.  There was no way that gnorker was going into a carton.  It's going to one of my egg customers tomorrow as a surprise!

The kids went out into their new pen today but they came in for the night.  Tomorrow they will officially be evicted from the kitchen stove top if I can get them to use the little house and roost in the pen.  I'm afraid they will just hunker down in a corner and get cold and damp.  If they don't go in by 8:30 then I'm stuffing their little butts in for them.  Now that they're resembling vultures, it's a little easier to put them outdoors.

My daughter just learned the hard way that chickens can disappear from a fenced area even in the day time.  Something dug under the fence and 7 of them were gone in one day with only a feather left behind.  It's time for a new fence and some underground wire before she gets any more.

Ok, Petee, I warned you ;)

You mentioned the vulture look, so here they are so people will know what you are talking about. This is definitely their least "cute" phase. Not to worry, they will be feathered in in about 3 or 4 more weeks.

I'm sorry about your losses. I lost a chick yesterday morning. I use chicken wire over my hog wire in the grow out pens, but something reached through one of those holes and grabbed a chick by the head and pulled what it could through the hole... I'm fairly certain it was a 'coon, but no tracks to see. I set two traps, and set up the trail camera, but I hadn't caught anything as of this morning. I'll check the camera for pictures tonight. I also ran a 2 foot tall section of hardware cloth around the outside of the pens to keep that from happening again. I hate losing birds, it's always preventable. I look at it like if I lose a bird, it's my fault.

Anyway. here are the pictures. I'll post them first, then let you guys know what I see

018.JPG

The one in the middle with the white face is definitely a rooster. That's a lot of white color, so I'm curious to see how he colors in with copper as he grows. The one just to the right is definitely a hen, and I'm pretty sure the one in the far right corner is probably a rooster as well. The one on the far left with her head up is a hen. Overall I'm very happy with the colors, but the one in the front center is my only mossy chick. You may have to have it on PC to see the color difference, but in a big picture you can see the mossy undertone to her black feathers

020.JPG

The one in the center with her eye on the camera is a girl

022.JPG

Rooster with the shorter tail

023.JPG

Probably a rooster. He's a little smaller, but already has a prominent comb and the wattles are starting to peek out under his chin

024.JPG

Group shot with the obligatory fluffy butt pose ;)

Like I said, Overall I'm very pleased with the progress so far. Most of the birds are a very good size, very healthy, and I'm really liking the colors I see. This will be the first group I have grown out from this particular rooster, and it's looking like he makes pretty babies :D

By all means, add a fun dimension to you life and raise some chicks.  They are pure enjoyment and very little work once you get them established.  I clean the coop about 3 times a year and even then it isn't very dirty or stinky.  I scoop the bedding directly into the compost so I get two good things for one bit of effort.

Hubby and I can sit and watch them for half an hour or more.  By then, we're rested and ready for the next venture into the yard work.

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic