GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

15 hours ago, Petee said:

For the very first time, the little girls put themselves to bed in the coop for the night!  I also got 4 eggs today from 4 hens.  Things are looking up.

That's a major milestone. I always feel like the job raising them is complete when they make it to the coop on their own :D

Those girls should start laying around October, and you'll love those eggs.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Thanks for the boost!  I love the little black girls.  They're sweet and so much more friendly than the older girls. 

They must have been bred for disposition for years. I've never had chickens that were this calm and friendly. Even the great majority of roosters are very passive. I'm very, very happy that I went with this breed

• 3 weeks later...

How are the girls, Petee? I kept 6, and moved them in with my blue rooster and his 3 girls from last year yesterday. No slow introdution, just straight in the pen. It's a big pen, and the new girls outnumber the old ones, so I knew there was a good chance that fighting would be minimal. There is a little pecking if the new girls get too close to the old ones, and I had to put the new girls on the roost last night, but it has been so funny watching Blue walk up to them and do his little dance :funny4:

Their combs are starting to pink up a little, hopefully we will start getting eggs by October :)

I had to keep your girls separate for a while but now they are well integrated into the flock.  I saw a poster at the garage that a guy was selling 4.5 month old hens so I got 8 Rhode Island Reds and gave 4 to my daughter who got all of the Marans roosters.  Those boys are the most beautiful iridescent blue and black that you could imagine.  These chickens don't seem to be as violent as other breeds because they chased each other a bit but there was no serious pecking or drawing blood. The second group of 4 that I added was much easier and required no intervention on my part.  

My son put this video on Facebook and said, "This is Mom in a few years".  Not!  

Hubby added a second roost to the hen house and only one is still stubbornly sitting in a corner at night.  

31 minutes ago, Petee said:

I had to keep your girls separate for a while but now they are well integrated into the flock.  I saw a poster at the garage that a guy was selling 4.5 month old hens so I got 8 Rhode Island Reds and gave 4 to my daughter who got all of the Marans roosters.  Those boys are the most beautiful iridescent blue and black that you could imagine.  These chickens don't seem to be as violent as other breeds because they chased each other a bit but there was no serious pecking or drawing blood. The second group of 4 that I added was much easier and required no intervention on my part.  

My son put this video on Facebook and said, "This is Mom in a few years".  Not!  

Hubby added a second roost to the hen house and only one is still stubbornly sitting in a corner at night.  

:funny4:

I know I've said before, but I started with 4 feed store chicks. Chicken math is a dangerous subject...

I've wandered through both Rural King and Tractor Supply to check out the chicks but wasn't even tempted.  I think I'm sated!  Although, in the spring I would love to get a couple of egg laying ducks.  I have to check out the cost of electric poultry netting at the Mother Earth News Fair on September 15 to see if they have any really good deals.

• 3 weeks later...

Dang, in my mind I was thinking eggs were going to start showing up in the next month, but I went back to see what day we hatched on. May 18th. These BCM seem to start a little later than some of my other breeds, right at 6 months, so now I'm thinking early November...

Oh well, I'm still checking the nest boxes :lol:

I'm extremely pleased with how these girls are turning out. The boys are a little over colored, but the girls are the best I have ever had

• 3 weeks later...
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Petee said:

I'm here with the boys now and will take pictures for you.  They are iridescent and so beautiful.

I still haven't gotten eggs from the girls yet, but I'm hoping by November. The Upstate fair is next week, and tomorrow I'm dropping off a dozen of the mamas' eggs for the brown egg division. Won the blue ribbon last year :D

I did find a fence that will work well for us so the girls can safely get out into the grass more to get bugs.  Premier 1 Fencing has a good deal.

Here's my chicken Palace, but we went overboard to make it cute plus there's lots of safety and utilitarian features built it.  Other than almost cutting my hand off with a Miter Saw, it was a whole summer of planning and trying to think ahead of potential problems, and fun!!At the Mother Earth News Fair there were all kinds of companies, Rent The Chicken, portable coops, small cute and very utilitarian chicken coops available.  

We worked outside all day today with our son and grandson.  They were putting up posts for electric fence (yes, we're still working on it) and I put away a lot of "stuff" for the winter.  Then I pooped out and sat enjoying watching the hole digging and grandson learning to split wood.  

Tomorrow I can probably take pictures of the girls.  Everyone is integrated, no herds of different colors of chickens any more.  Hubby has been tearing down an old decrepit shed and found the old waterer and chicken feeder.  I keep forgetting to order the electric fence!  

• 2 weeks later...

I did find a fence that will work well for us so the girls can safely get out into the grass more to get bugs.  Premier 1 Fencing has a good deal.

Here's my chicken Palace, but we went overboard to make it cute plus there's lots of safety and utilitarian features built it.  Other than almost cutting my hand off with a Miter Saw, it was a whole summer of planning and trying to think ahead of potential problems, and fun!!At the Mother Earth News Fair there were all kinds of companies, Rent The Chicken, portable coops, small cute and very utilitarian chicken coops available.  

39 minutes ago, Petee said:

Those eggs look way too good to break and cook!  How beautiful.  I can't wait for a dark brown one.  No surprise that you got a Blue Ribbon.  Are they small, medium or large?

If you hard boil them, does any of the color come off?

11 hours ago, Petee said:

Those eggs look way too good to break and cook!  How beautiful.  I can't wait for a dark brown one.  No surprise that you got a Blue Ribbon.  Are they small, medium or large?

1st year layers start medium then go to large-XL. By year 2 you will get XL with a few jumbos. The color stays when you boil them, and they are incredible for baking

10 hours ago, LFG said:

1st year layers start medium then go to large-XL. By year 2 you will get XL with a few jumbos. The color stays when you boil them, and they are incredible for baking

YUM.