GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

4 hours ago, Petee said:

Let's hope this plays.  It will make you laugh and also bring tears to your eyes. 

How in the world did they teach her to do that? You can see something stuck to the keys, but no way to control the sequence :funny4:

:yahoo:

That was incredibly sweet, Petee, thank you. I love baklava, and that is a very good one. I know that's not easy to make.

Now, the caramel puffs (I don't know what you call them) are to die for. One of my absolute favorite flavors in the world is caramel popcorn, but I'm not wild about the popcorn. I've never had puffs like this, they are one of the best things I have ever eaten. LFGal might not hear about these :lol:

That was very thoughtful, thank you.

See the source image

001.JPG

I messed up the top layer of the Baklava but it's heavenly anyway.  Uzi's Pastries and I have a running bet on who has the best Baklava.  

The caramel corn is here:    http://www.karosyrup.com/Recipe/Caramel_Puff_Corn

I've never added the vanilla because it's not on my written recipe, but I do use half dark and half light Karo.  You can also add nuts.  I make it 4 bags at a time because it keeps well and I can give it out clear through the Christmas Season.  Just use two big pans so you have room to mix it easier.  It's better than chicken!

52 minutes ago, Petee said:

I messed up the top layer of the Baklava but it's heavenly anyway.  Uzi's Pastries and I have a running bet on who has the best Baklava.  

The caramel corn is here:    http://www.karosyrup.com/Recipe/Caramel_Puff_Corn

I've never added the vanilla because it's not on my written recipe, but I do use half dark and half light Karo.  You can also add nuts.  I make it 4 bags at a time because it keeps well and I can give it out clear through the Christmas Season.  Just use two big pans so you have room to mix it easier.  It's better than chicken!

Those pistachios add a ton of flavor. Sometimes baklava can be too dry, but this isn't at all.

I gorged myself on the caramel corn. My fingers are tingling, and I can't feel my left foot, but it was worth it :lol:

I have some early Christmas babies hatching this weekend. I always sell the most chicks from December-February. People that are actually breeding are stocking up for the next summer. I don't ship, so I have a woman driving down from east TN after Christmas for a dozen chicks, about a 3&1/2 hour drive. You've got some good stock there ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what I got as an early Christmas gift?  Hubby came in the door this morning with 4 eggs and one of them was a chocolate Marans egg!  He said another Marans was sitting in the nest box.  Now we can enjoy Frittatas again and have some to share or sell.  I was actually forced to buy a dozen good quality eggs about a week or so ago.  They work but they taste blah.

I did get a picture of the Marans egg to compare with the others but I can't take the time to download it till tonight. 

For all the chicken post lovers, it will be a Christmas Eve gift! Merry Christmas.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:48 AM, Petee said:

I finally managed to find the camera download cable......hanging right in front of my nose!  Aarghhhh!  Old Age!

Guess which egg belongs to the Marans.  We got another one yesterday also.

2017-12-24 09.42.25.jpg

That's great!

That's very typical of my girls' first eggs. See the darker flecking all through the egg? After a few months that pigment will even out and that will be the color of the egg. I may have mentioned this before, but I liken it to a paint booth that isn't fully functional yet. By year two, many of those eggs will be so large that it will be hard to close the carton over them

18 hours ago, Petee said:

Fabulous!  I miss the gnorkers!  These seem so small in comparison, but actually they weigh out to a regular sized egg.  

Yes, that's the other thing, the eggs are very heavy for their size. People always ask me if the white, brown, blue, and green eggs taste different. The only ones that taste different to me are the black coppers. The yolks are so rich, and the whites are so thick and firm. They are fantastic for baking

55 minutes ago, Petee said:

I would like a couple of ducks for eggs, but lots of brush clearing will have to be done before that happens.

Are you guys in the northern part of the state? I have a friend in northern WV that breeds Pekins, but that may be too far of a drive

Here are last week's eggs before they went in the incubator. The regular sized lighter ones are first year layers that won't molt this year, it will be spring before the color comes back. The XXL, darker eggs are second year layers that came out of molt about  month ago

018.JPG

016.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Petee,  how many eggs are you getting? My girls still aren't in full production yet, but I'm getting two or three a day from eight young girls, and the color is getting darker. The eggs are also gaining a little size. 

For anyone interested, we started a new website for the farm this year. It has pictures of some of our other birds, and the "about us" page kind of tells the story of how we got into the chickens in the first place. I'm going to post the link, but I'm not sure if Steve allows links  to other websites on this site. Steve, if you need to delete it,  that's fine. If you Google "Magnolia Marans" it's the first search result. 

https://www.magnoliamarans.com/

10 hours ago, LFG said:

Hey Petee,  how many eggs are you getting? My girls still aren't in full production yet, but I'm getting two or three a day from eight young girls, and the color is getting darker. The eggs are also gaining a little size. 

For anyone interested, we started a new website for the farm this year. It has pictures of some of our other birds, and the "about us" page kind of tells the story of how we got into the chickens in the first place. I'm going to post the link, but I'm not sure if Steve allows links  to other websites on this site. Steve, if you need to delete it,  that's fine. If you Google "Magnolia Marans" it's the first search result. 

Thanks LFG for sharing the site. If only I lived south of here and were retired, I would absolutely love to have some of these beautiful birds. The eggs look amazing!

On 1/12/2018 at 8:28 AM, LFG said:

Nice website, and I feel very privileged to have some of the babies!  Thank you again.