GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

We were at Tractor Supply last week and I spent most of the time admiring the chicks. I sooo want a chicken condo and raise some of them when I get the time!

that's the best part about chickens, they are a low maintenance pet. It costs a little bit of money just to get set up to keep them, but after that feed them and water them and that's about all you have to do

that's the best part about chickens, they are a low maintenance pet. It costs a little bit of money just to get set up to keep them, but after that feed them and water them and that's about all you have to do

I grew up on a farm and miss that life. We do live in the country and have a barn. We're just so crazy with work. But, soon I hope (crossed fingers) I'll have some extra time.

There was a time during wars that the government begged families to raise chickens.  Everyone should have them in their yard for more reasons than eggs.

Fertilizer

Insect control

Rodent control

Weed control

Healthy food

Connection with real life

Animal-soil connection

Kids adore animals

They sing!

There was a time during wars that the government begged families to raise chickens.  Everyone should have them in their yard for more reasons than eggs.

Fertilizer

Insect control

Rodent control

Weed control

Healthy food

Connection with real life

Animal-soil connection

Kids adore animals

They sing!

And dance. Some of my roosters have got Travolta like moves

Oops, I thought they would arrive tomorrow, but the tracking number says Friday. That won't be a big deal, I just hope the box arrives in good shape. You could see in the pictures that I pack them tightly, and the pine shavings act as a shock absorber so they are usually ok, but some drivers are worse than others. I did mark the box "fragile", but didn't note that there were eggs in the box. It has been my experience that USPS sees that as a challenge...

I always need a nudge and listening to the rooster crow is music.  However, when they were young and learning to crow, it sounded more like someone was being strangled.

This reminded me of when we had a pine tree in the back yard and hearing the baby crows. OMG, what a terrible sound that was. I love birds, except for crows. 

My husband just popped in the door to tell me that the eggs are here!  I just have time to settle them in the incubator before I leave for the day.  Hooray.  Start counting.

Awesome!!!

I hope the box was in good shape and none cracked

Those are beautiful birds! Does anyone else LOVE to hear a rooster crow in the morning?

I have six roosters, and I love hearing them in the mornings. What amazes me is the multitude of sounds roosters use to communicate. My favorite is when they find a particularly tasty morsel. They have a trill to call the girls, and they won't eat until the girls eat. They screech when a hawk flies over, or a cat walks into the yard. After 7 years I have a Pavlovian response to the screech, I automatically look up. Roosters can teach you a lot about being a man

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic