GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

I know Petee is probably gone for a while, so for you guys keeping track, if she set this morning they will be due on May 18. The hatch usually lasts 18-32 hours, so they could start hatching around the evening of the 17th, and it could stretch into the 19th or 20th

At least it won't be like waiting on a giraffe. :yahoo:  

I have six roosters, and I love hearing them in the mornings. What amazes me is the multitude of sounds roosters use to communicate. My favorite is when they find a particularly tasty morsel. They have a trill to call the girls, and they won't eat until the girls eat. They screech when a hawk flies over, or a cat walks into the yard. After 7 years I have a Pavlovian response to the screech, I automatically look up. Roosters can teach you a lot about being a man

That is so wonderful! I absolutely love birds except for the damned crows, lol! But, the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning is one of the best sounds ever. I've always felt sorry for townies who've never experienced it.

Awesome!!!

I hope the box was in good shape and none cracked

The box was in extraordinarily good shape.  One egg had the end broken but only one other is questionable.  I'll let you know how it goes when they are old enough to candle.  Right now they are warm and toasty at 99 degrees almost constant.  Humidity without adding anything to the humidifier is 35%.

I know Petee is probably gone for a while, so for you guys keeping track, if she set this morning they will be due on May 18. The hatch usually lasts 18-32 hours, so they could start hatching around the evening of the 17th, and it could stretch into the 19th or 20th

Yes, I had to go to Brookville to dig holes, assemble garden stuff and hold boards.  The Demonstration Gardens are developing so nicely but it's a LOT of work, 6 hours today to be exact and that's my third day this week.

I came home to roll the eggs!  What a profession....egg rolling!

That is so wonderful! I absolutely love birds except for the damned crows, lol! But, the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning is one of the best sounds ever. I've always felt sorry for townies who've never experienced it.

I feel sorry for those who can't learn to enjoy it.

The box was in extraordinarily good shape.  One egg had the end broken but only one other is questionable.  I'll let you know how it goes when they are old enough to candle.  Right now they are warm and toasty at 99 degrees almost constant.  Humidity without adding anything to the humidifier is 35%.

I hate that one was broken, hopefully it was one of the smaller ones.

I set 2 dozen last night, all from the young girls, so I'm 12 hours behind you rolling the dice. Those are pretty big eggs, huh?

Wait till I get you a picture of the dinosaur I am using.  My son, who is now 40, bit chunks out of this one and was admiring his handiwork th eother day.  He also ate the headrest of one of our vehicles.  It had no seat belts and car seats for bigger kids were not readily available so he generally stood behind my driver's seat, chewing away.

I hate that one was broken, hopefully it was one of the smaller ones.

I set 2 dozen last night, all from the young girls, so I'm 12 hours behind you rolling the dice. Those are pretty big eggs, huh?

Actually it was one of the largest one with a few little ripples in that end of the shell.  Lighter beige.

Actually it was one of the largest one with a few little ripples in that end of the shell. Lighter beige.

Dang...

I'm hoping some of the younger girls are fertile. I guess we'll find out in 7-10 days. Those eggs are tough to candle. Sometimes I can see veins, but usually I'm just looking for a shadow and developing air sack

I have 5 big roosters that have varying lengths of deep crows. I have one silkie rooster that weighs about 4 pounds that can outdo every one of them. It's a higher pitched crow, he drags it out, and the sound carries for about a mile :funny4:

I had some excitement this afternoon when the electricity went out.  I had wrapped the whole kit and kaboodle (incubator) in towels when the electric finally came back on.  I had visions on having to take the whole bundle to bed to cuddle till the incubator heated up again.  They got down to 95 for about 15 minutes but that was all.  Now they are at a toasty 99-100 degrees.  

I did lose one that broke out the small end for some reason.  I checked it thoroughly but it was not fertile or rotten.  Two total down.  Everyone else seems to be fine.

This incubator is pretty much the same as mine except that mine is round and has small bite marks all around the top.  My 40 year old son was just about 3-4 the last time I used it.  He would take every chance he had to bite out hunks of styrofoam.  He also ate the entire back of the headrest in our station wagon.  There were no car seats or seatbelts then, so many times he stood behind my seat.  Little did I know that he was chawing away there too till I went to get him out and found a whole pile of foam pieces.  His three sisters watched him thinking it was cute!  Arghhh, kids.

I had some excitement this afternoon when the electricity went out.  I had wrapped the whole kit and kaboodle (incubator) in towels when the electric finally came back on.  I had visions on having to take the whole bundle to bed to cuddle till the incubator heated up again.  They got down to 95 for about 15 minutes but that was all.  Now they are at a toasty 99-100 degrees.  

I did lose one that broke out the small end for some reason.  I checked it thoroughly but it was not fertile or rotten.  Two total down.  Everyone else seems to be fine.

I used to get really nervous when the power went out, but it seems anything under 2 hours pretty much has no effect. My incubators even have a setting where they will purposely shut down the heater for an hour every day to mimic the mother getting off the nest. The fine print said that the tests showed an improvement of one more hatched egg for every 48 set, so I haven't messed with it.

I hate that another one broke. Maybe I had it too close to the edge of the box when I packed it. I hope it wasn't another big one. That rooster is starting to strip the feathers off the girls, so I know those eggs are fertile, but the young girls I still don't know about. I'll try candling Thursday or Friday and see if I can make out anything.

If for some reason you have no luck at all with these eggs, we'll do it again ;)

Chicken Saddle.jpgChicken Saddle.jpgI'm getting one of the high intensity flashlights to make the candling easier.  The kids and I used to do it in front of the bathroom nightlight but I don't think that will work.

It was one of the medium eggs.

Maybe your girls would like this idea:  

attachicon.gifChicken Saddle.jpgattachicon.gifChicken Saddle.jpgI'm getting one of the high intensity flashlights to make the candling easier.  The kids and I used to do it in front of the bathroom nightlight but I don't think that will work.

It was one of the medium eggs.

Maybe your girls would like this idea:  

I've debated that for a few. The roosters definitely have their favorites, but usually a few extra girls will give them... options :luv:

If I can keep 8-10 girls per pen, that usually spreads them around without hurting fertility.

I have a Brinsea candler, but not the HI. I need to get one. Like I said, usually by day 10 you can at least see a developing air sack. I don't have a lot of hope for those medium eggs, but my fingers are crossed. Those two roosters are the same age, but the hens in the blue pen were trained to submit by another rooster. He kicked me one too many times, and I have a smoker :D

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic