GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

I need to know how to drop the size of a picture.  Every time I go to post one, it's too big to download.

Sometimes I email them to myself and choose a smaller size. Someone smarter than me could probably tell you how to edit on the phone

These are from a camera and I saved them in My Pictures.  I did open one with Paint and saved it as a JPG which made it under the Download limit but it still wouldn't download.

We can't wait to see the pictures, I wish I could help, but I stink at that stuff and have no patience at all for technology, :). I'm hoping someone will help you with posting the pictures!!!

Ok, can't help myself, here are Petee's nieces and nephews.

061.JPG

If anyone else is like me and looks for minute details in the pictures, the chick that looks like it needs a proper cleaning does. That is a phenomena with a highly scientific name called "pasty butt". Some chicks will get a little buildup in their fluff for the first couple of weeks, and you have to dip them in warm water and clean it. It can actually dry to the point that it impedes...progress... and make the chicks sick.

Yes, I got a Pasty But chick but we fixed it right away.  Another chick has a slight limp.  It's not affecting him in the Chickolympics.  It has to be a male because a female would shrug it off!  :D

I hope you are right about the 4 girls and 3 boys. Is 4 what you wanted?

We had a simple graveside ceremony

attachicon.gifIphone 6S 724.JPG

BTW, you DooBwazzers strike me as my kind of people, so I assume you guys like to grill a lot. Have you ever seen a smoker like that? It's called an Orion, and will smoke a 15lb turkey in about an hour and 45 minutes. I'm not going to say it's as good as the turkeys my grandma slaved over for 6 hours every Thanksgiving, but it's darned close, and so easy it's like cheating

Landfillguy, will you PM me your address?

If you send those roosters...

Only 6 of the 12 large eggs in this week's set hatched, and the no hatches were mottled. All 12 of the younger girl's eggs hatched. Haven't done the eggtopsies yet, I will tonight, but there may be something going on. Thanks for the heads up.

The 6 that did hatch are gorgeous, and are the fattest day old chicks you have ever seen. 2 are blue, and so cute, so just let me know if you want to try again. Maybe by the time you are ready, I'll have figured out which girl is having issues. I know the rooster is getting them all, so maybe she's not totally healthy. In the past when I have lower hatch rates I have put the hens on Nutri-drench and that seems to help, especially in the warmer weather, so it may be time to start again

I found a good chicken sexing chart that I will ask Steve to put on the previous chart.  It will be interesting to follow the chicks from egg to pullet.  

I'm wondering about the full sized chicks that died in the shell.  They were perfect but VERY tight in the egg.  Could it be that the rooster was larger and the hen smaller?  Maybe they were perfect but simply outgrew their shell capacity.  Next time I will be doing some experimenting at hatch time.

I read that you can make an echo chamber for your stethescope to fit the egg.  Another experiment in the making.

I found a good chicken sexing chart that I will ask Steve to put on the previous chart. It will be interesting to follow the chicks from egg to pullet.

I'm wondering about the full sized chicks that died in the shell. They were perfect but VERY tight in the egg. Could it be that the rooster was larger and the hen smaller? Maybe they were perfect but simply outgrew their shell capacity. Next time I will be doing some experimenting at hatch time.

I read that you can make an echo chamber for your stethescope to fit the egg. Another experiment in the making.

That could be possible about the eggs being smaller, but I never start setting pullet eggs until after they've been laying 6-8 weeks. Eggs of the same size hatched, and the roosters are still not full grown, so they aren't abnormally large compared to the hens. Usually my chick sizes correlate with the size of the eggs, but that is a possibility. Both of my last hatches were 18/24, so even with the non hatches a 75% hatch rate is still very good for BCM.

According to the chart above, I have 1 cockeral and 6 pullets!  If that's right, then whoopee!

Six of them have tail feathers like the upright hair comb of a Spanish woman's headpiece, only the feathers are held downwards.  The one chick has no butt feathers at all.  That means I only need a very small box to send him back to you!  :P

According to the chart above, I have 1 cockeral and 6 pullets! If that's right, then whoopee!

Six of them have tail feathers like the upright hair comb of a Spanish woman's headpiece, only the feathers are held downwards. The one chick has no butt feathers at all. That means I only need a very small box to send him back to you! :P

I'm very curious to see if that holds true for you. I've never been able to accurately sex them before about 3-4 weeks old. If you're sending that rooster back, start mixing butter and Lowry's seasoning salt into his feed

It better be right! Also, they are starting to have some copper spots in their wings.

Copper spots in the wings this early is good and bad. Thats usually a sign that the birds will be "mossy", a little coppery sheen in the black feathers as adults. Thats not desirable for show, you want the black feathers to be a pure black, but mossy hens typically lay a darker egg

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic