GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

Well, tonight is do or die!  They are out in the pen with a tote for a shelter.  No varmint should be able to get them.  I could actually cook supper!

Did you have to put them in the coop yourself? I usually have to put them in there for 3 or 4 days, then they figure out the routine. I'm sure no one is happier to have that stove back than Mr. Petee ;)

Mr Petee had fried chicken, mashed rutabaga and macaroni with tomatoes last night.  It's our first whole meal in a couple of months now between seedlings and chicks on the stove.  It's hot in the kitchen without a fan over the stove, so that may be his last for a while till it gets hooked up.  I can live on love, don't need food!!!!  It runs right up to the ceiling and stops there.  It's supposed to go up through the roof and suck away most of the heat and steam from cooking.

By the way, do you have a breeder chicken that doesn't have a tail as a chick?  The Buttless Wonder has slightly different colors (bluer) than the rest of them, and now I'm wondering if it could be a genetic link.  Everyone else got lots of lower tail feathers like a hen's very early, some of them have bigger combs and some not. Some are getting wattles and some not, but one has a pattern of small white spots on its back.  

Once I can permanently leg band them, I'll send a picture and a full description.

Mr Petee had fried chicken, mashed rutabaga and macaroni with tomatoes last night.  It's our first whole meal in a couple of months now between seedlings and chicks on the stove.  It's hot in the kitchen without a fan over the stove, so that may be his last for a while till it gets hooked up.  I can live on love, don't need food!!!!  It runs right up to the ceiling and stops there.  It's supposed to go up through the roof and suck away most of the heat and steam from cooking.

By the way, do you have a breeder chicken that doesn't have a tail as a chick?  The Buttless Wonder has slightly different colors (bluer) than the rest of them, and now I'm wondering if it could be a genetic link.  Everyone else got lots of lower tail feathers like a hen's very early, some of them have bigger combs and some not. Some are getting wattles and some not, but one has a pattern of small white spots on its back.  

Once I can permanently leg band them, I'll send a picture and a full description.

They all mature at different rates. Most of them mature at about the same pace, but there are always one or two slower or faster. That's why I can't go by tail feathers. I've had chicks that sprout tail feathers early turn out to be boys, and I've had chicks that sprout late turn out to be girls. The combs and wattles are usually my first concrete proof, and I won't sell guaranteed girls until they are about 6 weeks old.

The blue color is interesting. Would you say he looks like he could possibly be a blue, or is it just a hue? If any of the eggs from the blue rooster hatched, it is entirely possible that you get a blue. I have had chicks that are so dark they look black at first, but feather in blue. Those are your best blues, the darker the better. If it's just a hue, that's a byproduct of breeding blues and blacks together. The downy feathers of a black chick can show a little of that blue, but the adult feathers will be totally black. On the hens, the fluffy underfeathers can still look a little bit lighter. A lot of people that show blacks will only breed black to black, that's why I have a rooster of each color. I have an all black pen for breeding blacks, and a blue rooster over black hens for breeding blue. Breeding blue to blue lightens the color too much, so I like to always have at least one parent that's black. After I post this I will go back and look at pictures of the Buttless Wonder to see what I think.

The pattern of small white dots isn't concerning. It amazes me how chicks can carry so much white, then feather in black, and every chick is patterned differently. I'm watching now to see if that is a correlation to how much copper they have as adults. White is only a concern after they feather in completely. On birds for show, you don't want any white feathers hiding under the wings

This is a picture of the Buttless Wonder in the midst of his sisters, I hope.

attachicon.gifDSC00758r.jpg

Oh, I see what you are talking about now. You mean that iridescence. That is wonderful! The best blacks are very dark, and have a green shimmer to the feathers as adults. It's called "beetle green", and the more iridescence, the more flashy the birds look. I've never seen a chick that young showing that sheen already. You can send him back to me :D

Yes, that may be the color that is developing.

What about a white feather under the wing? Some of them have it and others don't. I'm assuming that is bad?

Not yet, that's very typical for chicks. It should be gone by the time they start laying. It's not an egregious fault, just a deduction for show. It's a common fault in the Davis line, but I've not had any yet.

I should have clarified on the sheen as well. It starts as a bluish purple, but will turn to green as the bird gets older

Cell! I don't think it's Ipod. That's all I can tell you. I can take pictures, but then to get them sent is a problem. I can't even remember what it is but I'll check today and reply later.

uploading pictures will be much easier after Steve does the Forum update

• 2 weeks later...

That's funny, I just posted on the other one to ask you how many girls you wound up with. I hope more than those 2 boys...

I've never seen a tail like #1. His coloring around his hackles is great, but that tail is odd. #2 is a little overcolored around the shoulders, but his tail looks more correct. He would be a good match for a girl that was almost black. The hackles on #1 are excellent, but that tail is concerning

I'm seeing the same thing in my cockerels, too much copper in the hackles, but that means they should produce good girls. It's odd, but it seems it's hard to get good boys and girls from the same matings, usually what's good for one isn't good for the other. I have 4 dozen set from my blue rooster, those huge eggs that haven't been hatching well. I'm hoping to at least get a dozen or so to see how those chicks look compared to the black rooster

Wow, I hope that was all the boys... #3 looks great so far, if I were keeping one, he would be the one. #4 is very nice. She's a little mossy, but should lay very dark eggs

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic