GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

The four boys are all now residing in the Gettysburg area.  Different families will each be taking a rooster and probably swapping a hen or donating theirs to my daughter in the fall when they go south for the winter.  By then they will be looking for more than food and water!

17 hours ago, Petee said:

Landfillguy,  Any chance that the Buttless Wonder is part Araucana?

No, that's just a genetic fault. I had one in my last batch. I'm going to hang on to him for a while to see how he grows out. I need to find out which of my birds is throwing that and remove them from the program.

I had a huge hatch last week, and have more hatching today. Out of 50+ chicks, I don't have a single one with the toe issues you are experiencing. I could see it in a couple of your pictures, and I know you are right, it just still makes me wonder if it's an incubation issue. Very strange.

I'm hoping this week's hatch goes well. I set two dozen from only the blue pen, the ones that didn't hatch for you, and I had a lot of clears, but 33 developed eggs at lockdown. The girls that I hatched when you hatched will be going to that blue rooster in October. I think the fertility issues can be attributed to a couple of hens, and those birds are older, so I'm going to replace them with all new girls ahead of next year. That's a gorgeous rooster, and I really want to grow out some of his babies to compare to the matings from the other pen.

So you let all of the roosters go? Maybe if you are ready next spring we can try again and get you some better boys to choose from ;)

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, Petee said:

DSC00780r.jpg

For anyone wondering, this was the only picture that I could really see a whole foot in. The second toe from the right is pretty crooked. That's not a genetic issue, crooked toes usually come from incubation temperature or humidity being just a tad off. I'm also trying to decide if she has an extra toe, or if I am just seeing her shank where it attaches to the foot. There should be 3 toes of similar side facing forward and one facing to the inside for balance. In a Styrofoam incubator like Petee's, especially a still-air (no fan), it's very possible to have areas that are a degree or two warmer or cooler than other areas. Minor changes like that affect chick development, and it's no fault of Petee's. We determined that the larger eggs had issues, and she hatched over half of the eggs from the younger birds, which is a very good hatch rate for any shipped eggs, much less Marans.

Hey Petee, good news. My second generation is proving to be great broodies. My original flock never sat on eggs, but I had one start sitting 3 weeks ago, and had four sitting within a week. Maybe your girls will do the work for you next year ;)

Came home to this yesterday :D

043.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

Hey, that's the way to do it!!  Far less work and worry.  Look at those cute little poof butts!

Hubby was checking their food and water this evening and was worried because they are eating less.  I said to remember that there are now 3 mouths instead of seven!

8 hours ago, Petee said:

Hey, that's the way to do it!!  Far less work and worry.  Look at those cute little poof butts!

Hubby was checking their food and water this evening and was worried because they are eating less.  I said to remember that there are now 3 mouths instead of seven!

That makes a huge difference, and the boys eat a lot more than the girls. If you guys are having the heat wave that we are, they eat less when it gets this hot as well

7 hours ago, Petee said:

True, the feed bin should benefit!

I'm getting killed on chick starter right now. Chick sales seem to die when the temperatures get over 90, and I have about 50 right now that will probably stick around until they are old enough to sex. The girls sell for a lot more, but I will go through a lot of feed between now and then. The chicks draw in the predators, too. I had a possum 3 weeks ago, the raccoon last week, and pulled a 5 and a half foot black snake out of the grow out pen last night. Everything eats chicken :angry:

Oh heavens,  I never even considered a snake!  Now we have problems because a teeny garter snake is more than I want to handle.  The chicks would have to come back inside with me!  Better yet, I can move them to hubby's woodshop! :-)

4 minutes ago, Petee said:

Oh heavens,  I never even considered a snake!  Now we have problems because a teeny garter snake is more than I want to handle.  The chicks would have to come back inside with me!  Better yet, I can move them to hubby's woodshop! :-)

In 7 years that's only the third snake I've dealt with. Like I said, I think the chicks draw them in

That's what I've heard.  Maybe if I find one at the fair.  I've been working there daily since Sunday and I'll be there again on Thursday because I'm pooped and need a day off.  I figured there should be some neat birds maybe for sale.

11 hours ago, Petee said:

That's what I've heard.  Maybe if I find one at the fair.  I've been working there daily since Sunday and I'll be there again on Thursday because I'm pooped and need a day off.  I figured there should be some neat birds maybe for sale.

They will sit on anything, the broodiest birds I have ever seen, but my black coppers are proving to be pretty good broodies, too.

20 minutes ago, Petee said:

Someday I hope to add a male and a female Pekin Ducks to my group but I have to arrange an additional area for them before that.  Maybe the Silkie would hatch their eggs for them.

I have a friend that hatches Pekins with a silkie, but I think it's a two egg max :lol:

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:48 PM, Petee said:

How would you suggest that I add the three little hens to the 4 old biddies?   They are quite big and I think it's time.  Into the coop at night or during the day?

Sorry, been out for a few days. Yes, mine are big enough to go in, but I'm holding them until October. They will be going in with an active rooster, so they need to be of breeding age before I introduce them.

3 on 4 is good odds. The fact that there are almost as many new ones as old ones will help. I've heard of some people keeping them in the same pen, but separated by a fence for a few days, but in your situation I would go with a straight introduction. Put them in the coop one night, then let them wake up with the older girls the next day. That always works best for me. There will be some chasing and pecking, but shouldn't be anything violent. Sometimes they even get along. You will probably have to usher the new ones into the coop at night for the first few days until they get comfortable

Well, the little girls are in with the big girls.  There was a lot of weird squawking and some charges with chest bumps, but everyone seems to have weathered the move. Oreo, the Barred Rock, was absolutely hysterical.  She acted as though someone has released the Mongol invaders into the run.  The little girls voices are changing from a peep to  something resembling a hoarse grunt.  Hubby went out to check to see if the VFW is still open without his presence, and when he gets home he will have to round up the little girls and put them into the coop up onto a roost.  We'll see what happens in the morning.

14 hours ago, Petee said:

Well, the little girls are in with the big girls.  There was a lot of weird squawking and some charges with chest bumps, but everyone seems to have weathered the move. Oreo, the Barred Rock, was absolutely hysterical.  She acted as though someone has released the Mongol invaders into the run.  The little girls voices are changing from a peep to  something resembling a hoarse grunt.  Hubby went out to check to see if the VFW is still open without his presence, and when he gets home he will have to round up the little girls and put them into the coop up onto a roost.  We'll see what happens in the morning.

Chest bumping is fine, pecking order is a real thing. That will usually settle after a week or two. Just watch their head feathers. If the older girls are pecking them and hanging on, then that's a very aggressive move, but bumping and warning pecks are normal. One of my little roosters tried crowing for the first time this morning. He'll be chasing the girls soon :luv:

The three little girls are sticking close together and hugging the corners of the fence.  From all the screaming when the big girls are in full pursuit you would think someone is being killed!  Hubby and I sat down there this afternoon and defended the little girls for a few hours to give them a rest.  One of them actually ran at the Leghorn and challenged it.  I got all of my weeding and watering done while on guard duty.

I took a lot of pictures last night and stored to the computer which was a good move because my camera fell out of my pants pocket into the toilet this morning.  I was talking to my husband (who left the lid up) and caught the strap loop with my thumb which flipped it right overboard.  It was one of those ,"Do I risk going in for it or toss a $200 camera", things.  The camera was saved, I think.  Luckily the water was clean and I just scrubbed the bowl last night!!!  I'll put it into a bowl of rice tonight for a couple of days.  I'll bleach my hand for the same number of days.

I remembered the little girls last night at about 11:30 so hubby and I were down there with flashlights dragging them out of hiding and popping them into the hen door. Then he went around to the window, picked them up and put them on the roost.  The big girls were so sleepy that they didn't even move.  I got up extra early today to release them and the little girls were all sleeping in the nest boxes so I'll have to put up a guard till morning to keep them out.

It reminds me of starting into high school.  Same behavior.