GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

Just now, Petee said:

The three little girls are sticking close together and hugging the corners of the fence.  From all the screaming when the big girls are in full pursuit you would think someone is being killed!  Hubby and I sat down there this afternoon and defended the little girls for a few hours to give them a rest.  One of them actually ran at the Leghorn and challenged it.  I got all of my weeding and watering done while on guard duty.

I took a lot of pictures last night and stored to the computer which was a good move because my camera fell out of my pants pocket into the toilet this morning.  I was talking to my husband (who left the lid up) and caught the strap loop with my thumb which flipped it right overboard.  It was one of those ,"Do I risk going in for it or toss a $200 camera", things.  The camera was saved, I think.  Luckily the water was clean and I just scrubbed the bowl last night!!!  I'll put it into a bowl of rice tonight for a couple of days.  I'll bleach my hand for the same number of days.

I remembered the little girls last night at about 11:30 so hubby and I were down there with flashlights dragging them out of hiding and popping them into the hen door. Then he went around to the window, picked them up and put them on the roost.  The big girls were so sleepy that they didn't even move.  I got up extra early today to release them and the little girls were all sleeping in the nest boxes so I'll have to put up a guard till morning to keep them out.

It reminds me of starting into high school.  Same behavior.

DSC0c0820r.jpg

The black one on the left is one of the little girls, and the other three are the big girls from last summer.  The brown one thinks it's a rooster, the barred one is paying the price (got the chicken saddle but haven't tried fitting it yet) and the white one has only missed two days laying an egg in 8 months.  If you want regular sized eggs then they are definitely the breed to get.

They are looking out at the lettuce garden where I pick greens for them every day.  I can't let them out to free range so I grow greens for them when there's nothing I can pick for them.

Their food is under this swimming pool which the little girls can get under but the big girls can't.  That's hubby in the background wondering what I'll get him into next!  The weed patch is around a huge green ash that we had cut down in January and haven't gotten half cut up yet.  Emerald Ash Borers killed it and it was so huge that the guy who cut it down had to climb it  just to drop it.  We didn't ask him to cut it up at all but the base was a big around as a car. 

Hubby called me a bit ago and said he needed help so I ran down to the coop where he was holding one of the little girls.  He has found her in the white PVC Chicken Tractor where there is still one opening.  We have a couple of 4 x 4 openings in a piece of welded wire that we used and I think she got out there so tomorrow it's bird netting time.  There's also bird netting over the top to keep out hawks so I suppose we'll have to check it too.  Who needs entertainment or vacation, we have chickens!  They're cheaper and much more fun.

DSC00c822r.jpg

This morning hubby booted them all out of the coop a little later but there was no damage done.  I did manage to get all three of them under the pool and they actually stayed there this time.  Then they can come out when they choose or stay out of the line of fire, and their food is under there.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:30 PM, Petee said:

We had to be comfy while watching the Chicken Show!

DSCf00840r.jpg

That is awesome! We have a similar setup with furniture I made from pallets. Such a relaxing area.

I can not believe that your confused hen has stripped that barred rock bare. She looks like she is penned with an aggressive rooster. I don't know if I could handle that :shock1:

The old hen is going next week because it's time and she chases the young ones too, and if the other Buff Orphington doesn't stop, then I'll have practice for getting rid of her.  Gotta find the chicken saddle and see how to fit it.

Yesterday we fenced off a small section of the big coop so the little girls can have some peace, and get to their food and water easier.  

Most of my garden and the berry patch, plus the greenhouse is right there too.  One golf cart ride and I'm in the middle of it all.  Once the electric fence is complete then we can even let the dogs out with us and not worry about the huge bear roaming the neighborhood.  No deer to bring in ticks, no bunnies or groundhogs to eat the gardens.  Yippee.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Most of my garden and the berry patch, plus the greenhouse is right there too.  One golf cart ride and I'm in the middle of it all.  Once the electric fence is complete then we can even let the dogs out with us and not worry about the huge bear roaming the neighborhood.  No deer to bring in ticks, no bunnies or groundhogs to eat the gardens.  Yippee.

I would love to be able to fence in a few acres and get a Pyrenees, but just don't want to spend the money on it right now. Too close to roads to let a dog like that roam, but one or two more raccoons and I may seriously consider it 

It really wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought it would be.  You can go solar or electric which is what I chose.  You can also get portable fences which work good.

I chose wood posts and electric because I mean serious business with the bear, the dogs, and any other elk (it's been harvested) that comes wandering off of the reservation.  I take care of nature, but my space is my space.

My broody black coppers started hatching out their babies this week. I've got 14 new ones since Wednesday. They are making great mothers, and the chicks are completely fine in the pen with the adult birds and rooster, no pecking or fighting. I've only seen that in silkies, so I'm thrilled :)

10 hours ago, landfillguy said:

My broody black coppers started hatching out their babies this week. I've got 14 new ones since Wednesday. They are making great mothers, and the chicks are completely fine in the pen with the adult birds and rooster, no pecking or fighting. I've only seen that in silkies, so I'm thrilled :)

If another chicken bothered the chicks, the mother would probably have chicken for dinner!  I guess I may have to look into a Silkie just for the fun of it!  

I discovered that there is a hatchery with older chicks near Altoona, so when I go to visit my daughter I may just take a turn by there to see what they have.  My other daughter is still touchy that she got all of the roosters so I may have to pick her up a few young hens.  Her son said they didn't eat the eggs because they were brown and I believed him.  Besides, why would I give her the beautiful little hens when a varmint was getting her chickens?  I say, feed the varmint the roosters! :rolleyes:  However, she got the fence fixed and she is enjoying how friendly the little guys are.  I guess I should plan a trip to the Hatchery.

23 hours ago, Petee said:

If another chicken bothered the chicks, the mother would probably have chicken for dinner!  I guess I may have to look into a Silkie just for the fun of it!  

I discovered that there is a hatchery with older chicks near Altoona, so when I go to visit my daughter I may just take a turn by there to see what they have.  My other daughter is still touchy that she got all of the roosters so I may have to pick her up a few young hens.  Her son said they didn't eat the eggs because they were brown and I believed him.  Besides, why would I give her the beautiful little hens when a varmint was getting her chickens?  I say, feed the varmint the roosters! :rolleyes:  However, she got the fence fixed and she is enjoying how friendly the little guys are.  I guess I should plan a trip to the Hatchery.

Oh, I have had bad experiences with chicks hatched in the pen. My cuckoo marans look at them like little mice, just attack them and kill them as soon as they scare the mama away from them. I won't let them brood any more.

If your daughter just wants eggs, I always tell people that want girls only that hatcheries or feed stores are the way to go. I will sometimes have chicks last long enough to sex, but I can sell 8 week old black copper pullets for $20 each. The average chicken keeper will be just as happy with pet quality chicks for a lot less money.

Those are friendly little birds, aren't they? These are my favorite flocks I've ever had

On Friday, August 04, 2017 at 8:00 PM, steelnut said:

Did you folks see this? I just caught it today while watching the news.

http://www.9news.com/news/weird/boulder-county-chicken-lays-tiny-tiny-egg/461864697

That is one tiny egg!

My guess is that is what is called a "wind egg". My silkies will lay those from time to time, though not that small. A wind egg happens when an egg forms without a yolk. I bet if that egg was cracked it would be the white only

We spent most of this afternoon and evening out working in the yard.  The little girls finally got out into the new chicken yard where there's more grass, and every time I moved they followed me to that side so they could see me.  What little sweeties!  Your gift of eggs has turned out to be more fun than we imagined.

I promise I am sending a box.  When you eventually get it, you will understand why it's been delayed.

Hubby said that the kids were lined up at the coop door to get inside tonight.  They're getting into the swing of things.  Once they get up onto the perch with the big girls I'll probably be able to let them back into the general population.  Now they're getting up into the top of the nest boxes and hiding out till morning.  Hubby has to pry them out in the morning and put them into their own end of the run.  He's really gotten attached to them.

11 hours ago, Petee said:

Hubby said that the kids were lined up at the coop door to get inside tonight.  They're getting into the swing of things.  Once they get up onto the perch with the big girls I'll probably be able to let them back into the general population.  Now they're getting up into the top of the nest boxes and hiding out till morning.  Hubby has to pry them out in the morning and put them into their own end of the run.  He's really gotten attached to them.

I've been keeping several different breeds for over 7 years now, and these are by far my favorite ever. They just have the best personalities, and when you start getting those eggs you will really love them.

You don't owe me anything, really, it's been fun for me watching the progress from a few states away ;)

I just wish you had gotten a few more girls. If you want to try again in the spring, I will have many more girls with a few new boys that will keep me in a stronger supply of fertile eggs. I only had 12 girls this spring, but I'm going to have around 30 laying by December. I'm thinking about starting a new blue only pen. I'm not hatching enough of those to keep up with demand, and if I put a blue rooster over some blue girls I could hatch a few splash as well.

Right now I have 28 four week olds in the grow out pen. Those little buggers are eating me out of house and home :shock1:

That's the most I've ever grown out at one time, and it's astounding how much food and water they go through in a day. I should be able to pick the girls out with confidence in a few more weeks, so maybe those sales will offset these bags and bags of chick feed

The little girls are busting out of their pen and going into the big girls pen to eat the layer feed.  Any serious problem with that?

Trust me, the box is worth waiting for.

Yes, I will raise another bunch of chicks in the spring when I've finally had enough time to get bored.  I asked hubby what we're going to do with the chick house and he said we'll stash it till next time.................:D

12 hours ago, Petee said:

The little girls are busting out of their pen and going into the big girls pen to eat the layer feed.  Any serious problem with that?

Trust me, the box is worth waiting for.

Yes, I will raise another bunch of chicks in the spring when I've finally had enough time to get bored.  I asked hubby what we're going to do with the chick house and he said we'll stash it till next time.................:D

Image result for i love surprises gif

These chicks are 4 months old now, so they will be fine eating layer feed. I would be switching mine over about now, but I have a few in there that are about a month younger.

I'll send you a couple dozen next year from my prolific rooster, then you can feed a batch of these :huh:

002.JPG

27 minutes ago, Petee said:

Hah!  They look like teenage buzzards, then you look into their sweet little eyes and they are so trusting.  My Barred Rock has the eyes of a Madam!

Yep, 3-4 weeks is definitely not the cutest phase in a chick's life. I kind of get stuck with them at this age, because I have a pretty good guess which ones are girls and boys, but not quite enough to guarantee them when I sell them. The girls sell for too much to let them go at chick prices, so I take my ad down and grow them out for a few more weeks until I can guarantee their sex. Those little cockerels will go through a lot of feed by then