GoDuBois.com

Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

that soccer game will continue for about the next 16 hours. it's always a hard call between letting the chicks kick them around, or risking opening incubator to take them out.

don't give them any sweet tea or grits, once you start down that road it's hard to turn around ;)

And don't get them wet or feed them after midnight.

Wait. Wrong species. :)

I just came in from working outside now that it's a lot cooler.  No idea what I'm going to do this summer!  I got a wagon to pull behind the golf cart for bigger tools and stuff, and I got out to empty it and it was gone!  The hitch isn't designed right so out came the burlap twine.  I found it on the other side of the house.

My son and I tried to get pictures this evening but the plastic windows are very yellowed from age. Just as soon as I can safely remove them from the incubator I will take pictures and post them.

I'm going to lay off my pictures now, I have tons. I can't wait to see yours :)

Make sure you call all of them "she" and "her". I always do that until they prove me wrong ;)

I had a few pips this morning, no zippers yet

There are currently 4 chicks in the incubator and more pips.  I'm headed off to get a new tote to use as a brooder because I guess I used the last one for something else!  I set them on my kitchen stove and turn on the fan lights which can get very hot if necessary.  I use a baby gate on top and a towel if the air conditioner is running.   I also hang the water and food so it stays clean and use pine shavings.

My son always comes in and says, "Hey, you're cooking chicken but I don't think they're done yet!".  

Now it will be the outdoor toaster oven and the microwave for meals because it's too hot to turn on the stove anyway.

There are currently 4 chicks in the incubator and more pips.  I'm headed off to get a new tote to use as a brooder because I guess I used the last one for something else!  I set them on my kitchen stove and turn on the fan lights which can get very hot if necessary.  I use a baby gate on top and a towel if the air conditioner is running.   I also hang the water and food so it stays clean and use pine shavings.

My son always comes in and says, "Hey, you're cooking chicken but I don't think they're done yet!".  

Now it will be the outdoor toaster oven and the microwave for meals because it's too hot to turn on the stove anyway.

That's so great. I was so worried about them hatching. You waited so long for the eggs, and I know you passed on the Rural King chicks, so I was going to feel really bad if there weren't any hatchers

Ok, just one picture to show all three stages of hatching. I found this one in my old pictures, and they are blue Ameraucana eggs, so you guys have to wait for Petee for the black coppers. This is what she is watching and waiting on right now. Today is day 21, so I expect she will have quite a few more chicks when she posts again.

050.JPG

See the egg to the left, with the small outward crack? That is what we mean when we say pip. The first thing to happen is a chick punches a hole in the egg and draws it's first breaths of air from the outside world. They expend a lot of energy hatching, so they will work a little, then rest for long periods of time. The first time you hatch, it drives you crazy, because you would think they would just pop out. For me, it's usually at least 12 hours from pip to hatch.

The egg to the right of that one has begun "zipping". After the chick rests, it starts turning in the shell, pecking a line all the way around. Most of the time you can see this line forming, and it looks much like a zipper. This is the process that takes so long, and this is probably when Petee heard the loud cheeping. They will work a little, rest for a while, then go back to work. They start cheeping a lot after they rest.

When the egg is about 3/4 zipped, the chick will start kicking the egg with it's feet. This is usually 10-30 minutes before the hatch. You can see the egg pushing apart then squeezing back together as the chick tries to stretch its legs out. When the shell finally gives, a soaking wet, exhausted chick pops out. It takes them a bit to get on their feet, but once they do, the soccer game begins

I have 4 out, 2 zippers, and many pips. This is Petee's show, though ;)

She is already having a great hatch. Shipping is hard on eggs. Black coppers are notoriously hard to hatch. She is using a Styrofoam incubator. Anything near a 50% hatch rate would be phenomenal

I have 4 out, 2 zippers, and many pips. This is Petee's show, though ;)

She is already having a great hatch. Shipping is hard on eggs. Black coppers are notoriously hard to hatch. She is using a Styrofoam incubator. Anything near a 50% hatch rate would be phenomenal

You know, despite your thorough and detailed explanations throughout this thread, someone just stumbling across this post could be easily confused by exactly what you're trying to discuss here. :)

This is the drawback of the written word.

This is OUR show!  You provided the eggs and

That said, I have an oddity to contemplate!  Hubby and I did a swat on the incubator.  He lifted the top slightly and I grabbed for chicks.  I got 6 chicks and only 5 empty eggs!  Unless there's one I can't see, can there be twins?

I did get some pictures and will post them later this evening.

Today was such an exhausting but fun day.  Did errands, went to Brookville to work on the Fairgrounds shed and assembled a big wagon.  Flew home, had a hot dog at Doolittles, Walmart for a clear tote, home to find grandchildren waiting to see the chicks, back to Tractor Supply for Chick Starter and a small pool for the big girls to dust in, rescued a blood curdling, screaming granddaughter from  the dog who knocked her down, planted the vine seeds for the plant sale, ate strawberries and cherries, finished assembling the brooder, kidnapped the babies from the incubator and finally had time to come to the computer.  Now to find food!

This is OUR show!  You provided the eggs and

That said, I have an oddity to contemplate!  Hubby and I did a swat on the incubator.  He lifted the top slightly and I grabbed for chicks.  I got 6 chicks and only 5 empty eggs!  Unless there's one I can't see, can there be twins?

I did get some pictures and will post them later this evening.

Today was such an exhausting but fun day.  Did errands, went to Brookville to work on the Fairgrounds shed and assembled a big wagon.  Flew home, had a hot dog at Doolittles, Walmart for a clear tote, home to find grandchildren waiting to see the chicks, back to Tractor Supply for Chick Starter and a small pool for the big girls to dust in, rescued a blood curdling, screaming granddaughter from  the dog who knocked her down, planted the vine seeds for the plant sale, ate strawberries and cherries, finished assembling the brooder, kidnapped the babies from the incubator and finally had time to come to the computer.  Now to find food!

I did find half of the missing eggshell.  Part of it was in crumbles under the wire bottom of the incubator.

Those round indentations are bite marks he left about 35 years ago when I first used that incubator! He also ate a headrest in our car.

Wow! I'm very impressed. Does that incubator still have the original element. Thats a testimony to how much better things were built back then.

I'm up to 12 now, but my eggs haven't been juggled by USPS

here yo go Petee

Egg sizes.pdf

egg1.jpg

I'm surprised about the large eggs. The smaller eggs were a backup, I wasn't sure about fertility, but I'm seeing the same thing on my end. All two dozen were from the young girls, 23 were fertile, and they are hatching strong

BTW, can you perform a 90 degree clockwise rotate on my pic? ;)

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic