Redneck DooBwa Chickens

LFG

OK, I'm making a list:

DooBwa

Landy Sue

Fluffy Butt

Ky-Lee

I like them all!

Last year my grandkids named them and obviously they were hungry.

Oreo

Peaches

Buttercup

I can't remember the rooster's name? He was replaced by Penny. I was obviously thinking of money! :D

Gotta say, my personal favorite is DooBwa. Has a certain je ne c'est quois

I tried the ankle bracelets but even the small ones are too big.  Then I tried a little magic marker on the surface of the down on their bellies.  I'll see if it lasts long enough to be worthwhile.

If my opinion the flight feathers is accurate then I have 4 pullets (females) and 3 cockerels (males)

Yellow, orange and black are cockerels

Blue, green, pink and no color are pullets.

We did take pictures but it was very hard.  Any secrets to getting them to pose?

It was suggested not to do that since the chicks might try to peck it off and either ingest the polish or peck each other.  First I tried spiraled plastic twist ties but they immediately started messing with them and I was afraid they would swallow one.

It was suggested not to do that since the chicks might try to peck it off and either ingest the polish or peck each other. First I tried spiraled plastic twist ties but they immediately started messing with them and I was afraid they would swallow one.

I use tiny little colored rubber bands, but I think I ordered them from Amazon. They might have them at Rural King, I don't know

I tried the ankle bracelets but even the small ones are too big. Then I tried a little magic marker on the surface of the down on their bellies. I'll see if it lasts long enough to be worthwhile.

If my opinion the flight feathers is accurate then I have 4 pullets (females) and 3 cockerels (males)

Yellow, orange and black are cockerels

Blue, green, pink and no color are pullets.

We did take pictures but it was very hard. Any secrets to getting them to pose?

a lot of times just putting the camera right in front of them will make them pose. They will get curious and start checking it out, and you can get some good up-close shots

a lot of times just putting the camera right in front of them will make them pose. They will get curious and start checking it out, and you can get some good up-close shots

Sounds like another business opportunity.  "STEALTH CHICKEN PHOTOGRAPHER FOR HIRE"  Have camera will travel. :D

Low rates, works for chicken feed.

How about a stripe of your granddaughter's nail polish on a toenail? A friend of mine did that with her twins when they were infants until they could tell them apart!

That's a good idea, but what Petee said is right. Odd colors like that encourage pecking. When I am hatching chicks from multiple pens of the same breeds, I toe punch. It's not as bad as it sounds, and the marks last forever. It's like a tiny hole punch that clips the webbing between their toes. You can mark birds from several pens and roosters using a combination of left foot/right foot and first or second web. I wouldn't recommend that for just identifying a small number of birds, but it's great for breeding. When the chicks are sold, the buyer and I can track the lineage and base future breeding matches on what has worked in the past

That's a good idea, but what Petee said is right. Odd colors like that encourage pecking. When I am hatching chicks from multiple pens of the same breeds, I toe punch. It's not as bad as it sounds, and the marks last forever. It's like a tiny hole punch that clips the webbing between their toes. You can mark birds from several pens and roosters using a combination of left foot/right foot and first or second web. I wouldn't recommend that for just identifying a small number of birds, but it's great for breeding. When the chicks are sold, the buyer and I can track the lineage and base future breeding matches on what has worked in the past

The chicken version of ear tags for cattle.  To most people a cow is just a cow.  To a farmer they know which cow is which.  Having spent much of my youth working on dairy farms I was always amazed at how farmers knew which cow went into which stall to be milked and when one was out of place.  Obviously I was too dumb and naive to pay enough attention to this because to me a cow is still just a cow.

Maybe that's why I'm not a farmer, or even a gardener.

The chicken version of ear tags for cattle.  To most people a cow is just a cow.  To a farmer they know which cow is which.  Having spent much of my youth working on dairy farms I was always amazed at how farmers knew which cow went into which stall to be milked and when one was out of place.  Obviously I was too dumb and naive to pay enough attention to this because to me a cow is still just a cow.

Maybe that's why I'm not a farmer, or even a gardener.

I hope you knew the difference between a cow & a bull in your younger years!!! ;):P

Some died early in the shell and some died fully formed and apparently perfect.

I have another batch due to hatch Wednesday-Thursday. Almost always, there are a few fully formed chicks that never hatch. Early on it was because my incubation humidity was too high, and the chicks would drown after the internal pip. Like you, my formed chicks looked perfect, but never broke through. One of them had even pipped, but never progressed any further. It could be any number of things, including just not being strong enough to hatch, but I have always wondered if the soccer match that ensues after the first few dry off disrupts the actions of chicks that would have otherwise hatched healthy. I'm going to try something different this hatch that I have read about, but never tried. I'm going to put the eggs in Styrofoam cartons and hatch them upright. I know they will hatch upright, I've seen it happen when the incubator is packed, but after a few hatch the rest fall over, then can be rolled around.  You cut the bottoms out of the cups to provide air flow, then leave the cartons in all through lockdown. This will be a good experience for me to know if it works, and may be interesting to you guys to see the results

I have another batch due to hatch Wednesday-Thursday. Almost always, there are a few fully formed chicks that never hatch. Early on it was because my incubation humidity was too high, and the chicks would drown after the internal pip. Like you, my formed chicks looked perfect, but never broke through. One of them had even pipped, but never progressed any further. It could be any number of things, including just not being strong enough to hatch, but I have always wondered if the soccer match that ensues after the first few dry off disrupts the actions of chicks that would have otherwise hatched healthy. I'm going to try something different this hatch that I have read about, but never tried. I'm going to put the eggs in Styrofoam cartons and hatch them upright. I know they will hatch upright, I've seen it happen when the incubator is packed, but after a few hatch the rest fall over, then can be rolled around.  You cut the bottoms out of the cups to provide air flow, then leave the cartons in all through lockdown. This will be a good experience for me to know if it works, and may be interesting to you guys to see the results

Friends and I have been enjoying the Chickolympics.  They suddenly run full speed across the tote and almost crash into the other side.  Then everyone follows.

Friends and I have been enjoying the Chickolympics.  They suddenly run full speed across the tote and almost crash into the other side.  Then everyone follows.

I moved mine from the tote to the big brooder last night. I converted one of those small pre-fab coops from TS, built a platform to bring the chicks up to eye level. There's a ramp that goes up to a second level that they start climbing and diving off of at about a week old.

I'm so happy with these chicks, all are so vigorous and I love the colors. I have a pic, but I want Petee to post hers first

• Pompeii pinned and featured this topic
  • Pompeii unpinned this topic