MY LOCAL MENUS COMING ON TUESDAY AUGUST 22ND!

GoDuBois.com
KittyMommy

So, Dunkins is coming...

17 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Some (many) drivers lack common sense!  I was taught to THINK before making left turns across oncoming traffic.  You'll see that problem with drivers trying to cross into Ruby Tuesdays from Shaffer Road.  The same issue exists with traffic traveling south through town trying to turn into Sheetz.

Or, perhaps, risking a catastrophic accident by making a tire-screeching, horn-blowing left out of the mall by JoAnn Fabrics on the theatre side only to make a right onto Beaver Drive instead of going to the light and going straight?

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

24 minutes ago, Vader said:

Or, perhaps, risking a catastrophic accident by making a tire-screeching, horn-blowing left out of the mall by JoAnn Fabrics on the theatre side only to make a right onto Beaver Drive instead of going to the light and going straight?

That light at the far side of the Mall drives me a little crazy. Normally the far right lane is to go straight or to make a right turn and the inside lane is to go left. That light coming out of the Mall is different. The inside lane is for left turns and to go straight and the far right is to only make a right turn. I've seen so many almost accidents there, I'm always really careful there.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

On 7/21/2017 at 10:21 PM, km2009 said:

Is it just me or do we continue to get the same businesses we already have around here? I really wish we would start getting new ones.

There isn't a Dunkin Donuts in the DuBois area.  To my knowledge, this may be the only drive thru coffee/doughnut business.  It will be easy access for those traveling and coming off of I-80, those coming to town for shopping, and those of us who use the Dunkin Perks app and get free coffee.  I can't think of any reason why this isn't a good choice for DuBois.

5 minutes ago, brandn18 said:

There isn't a Dunkin Donuts in the DuBois area.  To my knowledge, this may be the only drive thru coffee/doughnut business.  It will be easy access for those traveling and coming off of I-80, those coming to town for shopping, and those of us who use the Dunkin Perks app and get free coffee.  I can't think of any reason why this isn't a good choice for DuBois.

:thanks:for the heads up on the app. ;)

When someone shows you their true colors, don't try to repaint them.Rainbow_Striped_Spinning_Star_by_zk29_yt

On 7/21/2017 at 10:27 PM, Petee said:

Hubby swears it used to be on Long Avenue but I don't remember it.

I think it was on the blvd, by McDonald's back in the day.

Heavens to Murgatroid...

1)  Dunkin abandoned the South Bend market about 14-15 years ago and just came back about 3 years ago.  There are two locally owned donut operations,  one of which was within 2 miles of the new Dunkin and which is more out of the way.  Both suffered some lost business for oh, about a week after the Dunkin opened, and the owner of the one nearest tells me his business has actually grown faster now that it was before.  I think people understand what a quality pastry is and will buy from those who produce the best.

2) I firmly believe in buying from locally owned operations versus the chains whenever possible - even when the chain operation is a franchise one.  I heard that argument about the Dunkin but if you checked inside the place, it was an outlet from a franchisee who owns a whole area and a string of the stores - NOT a local operation in my opinion and the service there does seem to reflect more than a passing concern with labor percentages...

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

9 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

Heavens to Murgatroid...

1)  Dunkin abandoned the South Bend market about 14-15 years ago and just came back about 3 years ago.  There are two locally owned donut operations,  one of which was within 2 miles of the new Dunkin and which is more out of the way.  Both suffered some lost business for oh, about a week after the Dunkin opened, and the owner of the one nearest tells me his business has actually grown faster now that it was before.  I think people understand what a quality pastry is and will buy from those who produce the best.

2) I firmly believe in buying from locally owned operations versus the chains whenever possible - even when the chain operation is a franchise one.  I heard that argument about the Dunkin but if you checked inside the place, it was an outlet from a franchisee who owns a whole area and a string of the stores - NOT a local operation in my opinion and the service there does seem to reflect more than a passing concern with labor percentages...

2) Is really an excellent idea. Wish many more thought along these lines.

#2 is an excellent idea, provided the merchant supplies goods better than the chain. For example, why go to a local store and pay more for an identical item (identical brand, identical specs, a virtual twin)?  Of course there are exceptions to this opinion, including selection and service.

<p>Watch out for the wild beasts! 

40 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

#2 is an excellent idea, provided the merchant supplies goods better than the chain. For example, why go to a local store and pay more for an identical item (identical brand, identical specs, a virtual twin)?  Of course there are exceptions to this opinion, including selection and service.

Exactly. Shopping local tends to cost more. Why should i pay more than i need to. 

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

On many levels, I agree with you there. When you're talking about a screwdriver, hammer, etc., the actual seller is usually little more than an inconvenience, especially when it comes to price. Large retailers can buy in bulk which usually gives them some cost savings which, if they choose, they can impart to the consumer.

However, I think that the prospect differs greatly when you begin to apply that concept to consumables such as food. Large chains are simply color by the numbers when it comes to food preparation which, while it leaves you with a consistent product, is basically the same thing that you can find at any one of their establishments. In other words, creativity is largely lacking outside what the corporate office considers to be creative. Not, as Jerry Seinfeld would say, that there's anything wrong with that. If I'm traveling and have only moments to spare, then I'll look for something that I know is going to be consistently palatable.

But, given the opportunity to stretch out and explore, I find that local "hole-in-the-wall" places to be MUCH more preferable and actually leave you with a greater appreciation for their product because of the differences rather than in spite of them.

Might those cost a little more? Certainly. But I've found the upside to be much more desirable. The downside? Those cheap locals usually don't have an app. :)

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

The problem with some locals, is to compete, the sell the identical goods as the big box stores, but at a higher price!  Illogical!

I much prefer local, with better quality goods and/or a better selection, which warrants a higher price.

<p>Watch out for the wild beasts! 

2 hours ago, Vader said:

On many levels, I agree with you there. When you're talking about a screwdriver, hammer, etc., the actual seller is usually little more than an inconvenience, especially when it comes to price. Large retailers can buy in bulk which usually gives them some cost savings which, if they choose, they can impart to the consumer.

However, I think that the prospect differs greatly when you begin to apply that concept to consumables such as food. Large chains are simply color by the numbers when it comes to food preparation which, while it leaves you with a consistent product, is basically the same thing that you can find at any one of their establishments. In other words, creativity is largely lacking outside what the corporate office considers to be creative. Not, as Jerry Seinfeld would say, that there's anything wrong with that. If I'm traveling and have only moments to spare, then I'll look for something that I know is going to be consistently palatable.

But, given the opportunity to stretch out and explore, I find that local "hole-in-the-wall" places to be MUCH more preferable and actually leave you with a greater appreciation for their product because of the differences rather than in spite of them.

Might those cost a little more? Certainly. But I've found the upside to be much more desirable. The downside? Those cheap locals usually don't have an app. :)

When traveling and not in an extreme hurry, always ask the locals where to eat, it's always recommendations for family owned type places, never a chain. 

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

Steelnut, 

That tactic of asking a local for where they go when they eat out works almost everywhere.  In fact there are only 2 places I won't do that: Seattle and San Francisco.   I've been directed to great places in the French Quarter of New Orleans that I wouldn't have ever found, to hole-in-the-wall neighborhood bars with superb food (Zanesville, Ohio) and more great family-owned joints that I can possibly list from coast to coast.   Except in those two places mentioned, where locals seem driven to try to get you into the tourist places no matter what...

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain

21 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

Steelnut, 

That tactic of asking a local for where they go when they eat out works almost everywhere.  In fact there are only 2 places I won't do that: Seattle and San Francisco.   I've been directed to great places in the French Quarter of New Orleans that I wouldn't have ever found, to hole-in-the-wall neighborhood bars with superb food (Zanesville, Ohio) and more great family-owned joints that I can possibly list from coast to coast.   Except in those two places mentioned, where locals seem driven to try to get you into the tourist places no matter what...

I like to cook and so of course I watch the Food Network a lot. Way back when Rachael Ray got her own show, I remember her saying to always, always ask the locals about eating out when you travel, so we've always done that and it really does work. Also later on, Guy Fieri started Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and I've seen soooo many great places to eat all over the country, and none are chains. :)

-- Jack Lambert --

19 minutes ago, steelnut said:

I like to cook and so of course I watch the Food Network a lot. Way back when Rachael Ray got her own show, I remember her saying to always, always ask the locals about eating out when you travel, so we've always done that and it really does work. Also later on, Guy Fieri started Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and I've seen soooo many great places to eat all over the country, and none are chains. :)

Rache Ray's $40 A Day show was one of my favorites.  Lots of great travel tips and restuarants were showcased.

I have been to 4 Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives restuarants.  Each was fantastic and gave a great taste of the local community. I am hoping to cross another one or two off the list when I head to Seattle next month.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:27 PM, Petee said:

Hubby swears it used to be on Long Avenue but I don't remember it.

It was - many years ago...  Like half a century ago...

36 minutes ago, dbarber said:

This is great news! We can support more than one donut shop in town.  I read so many negative comments about having dunkin or starbucks in town and it doesn't make any sense to me.

I agree 100%. 

3 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

I don't recall Long Ave, but seem to remember Dunkin being on N. Main St. where Henninger Dental is now.  Of course I'm old and easily confused.

4 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

OK, now that description is scary but very true.  We're both going to be 70 this fall!  :huh:

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, Petee said:

OK, now that description is scary but very true.  We're both going to be 70 this fall!  :huh:

I got 10 years on you - to the lesser side... :yahoo:

4 minutes ago, bob_rx2000 said:

I got 10 years on you - to the lesser side... :yahoo:

My only serious regret is that I don't have  much time to work yet.  There's so much to accomplish projects, and to teach and enthuse others about.  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, Petee said:

Now I'm really confused.  I thought the your Hubby was at least a year younger than me and I'm pretty certain that I'll be 70 in October.  I do completely understand you regrets on the time remaining to accomplish things, but even the ambition and ability is slowing down recently.

Nope, hubby was born in 1947 but if you went to school with him, he was held back a year due to being in Pittsburgh Hospital with Meningitis.  He wasn't expected to live or even recover partially.  He three weeks older than me.

My mind is speeding up and my body is slowing down.  Not good.  I guess this is nature's way of teaching me to delegate and teach more.

Albert Einstein